Advice On Finding A Signal

Hiya

At home we have WI-FI so no problem with signal,but at Perranporth, Cornwall we have none at all. Can anyone recommend anything that will enable me to get a signal, so long as its not to expensive, £20 quidish is OK, or i will have withdrawal symptoms if i can't get on Nottstalga in the wee small hours of sleeplessness. :rolleyes: Thank you for any tips.

As we go to Cornwall pretty regular and finding that signals for Vodaphone were pretty dire , we changed to Orange, they seem to have better coverage down there, (On saying that , we've mostly been in North Wales since the switch and Orange isn't too clever there !

Go to a Phones 4 U / Carphone warehouse etc (Truro will be your best bet) and get yourself an "Orange dongle" with a tenners credit , it will easily last a week , depending on what you're downloading, it'll cost around 20 quid.

Hi Carni

I've heard that The 3 Networks signal has a wider coverage than most and Argos sell the little wireless dongles for around £20 failing that depending when you go I have a spare dongle with 3 network sim fitted that you could borrow so all you have to do is buy a top up voucher for it

Let me know if I can help

Paul

I have a 3 dongle and it's pretty rubbish in Cornwall, get an orange , a lot better coverage (as it uses 3 and a n other that I can't remember at the moment.) as well as it's own network

Hi carni I suppose it all depends where in Cornwall you happen to be we had a very good signal in new quay. Last year apologies if beefsteak knows better,all I was doing was trying to save you money. If the signal turned out not to be brilliant all you would have lost is £2.99 for a days data to find out because as I said I would have sent you my spare dongle.

My offer still stands if you want to try

Paul

I was recently looking at Three, they do a very good Sim Only deal fo Calls and they assure me absolutely 'All you can eat' Internet @ £15 per month. You can 'Tether' Tablets and other devices as well.

2,000 any network minutes
5,000 Three-to-Three minutes
5,000 texts and All You Can Eat internet

The One Plan from Three - Just £15 a month. No Data Limits‎

I have a 3 dongle and it's pretty rubbish in Cornwall, get an orange , a lot better coverage (as it uses 3 and a n other that I can't remember at the moment.) as well as it's own network

Its EE that Orange uses as well. What about finding somewhere that offers free wifi, often for the price of a cup of coffee, though not so good in the small wee hours I suppose noblue

Have a jolly good holiday Carni. Hope the weather improves for you :)

Thank you so much for the tips,I will have plenty to look into now, If i go a bit quiet for a few days you know i had no luck, but i will stay optimistic until i have tried your suggestions , Orange seems to be the favorite, so thank you all.

fch782c, Thank you for your kind offer.

The trouble is with looking for 'free Wi Fi in Cornwall is that the places like McDonalds that provide it are as rare down there as rocking horse poo !

Pretty sure there's one near St Ives (Hayle) One near Truro, one near St Austell, one near Newquay and one near Indian Queens on the main road south.

I could never find any where else !! I could get a signal on my 3 dongle in Tescos carpark in Truro though ..... :biggrin:

I've just had a look at McDs site and there's one between Cambourne and Redruth , one near Penzance and one near Falmouth too.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/Restaurants/restaurant_locator.html#

Oh and don't forget if you're not using a dongle you need a wifi ready laptop/tablet

Most reliable source of free WiFi I have found in England has been Public Libraries!

McD's have "free" WiFi, but every one I have tried has been so slow it was impossible even to do basic e-mail, similar problem with other coffee houses that give free 20min tokens!

Still can't figure out why free WiFi is such a problem over there. Here in Pentwater (no McD's, or any other fast food joint) we have at least five sources along a one mile street! One of which has "high power" outdoor antennas! There is even free WiFi at the beach!

If I'm near somebody with BT broadband I can get free internet as they become what is known as a "BT Hotspot" It doesn't cost them (Or me) anything as it comes as part of my our package.

(I get some free sports channels on the telly and PC too now)

Hi All,

I am sitting here in Perranporth, Cornwall, and as you see we have found a signal, a Vodafone Dongle Thingy, lent to me by a neighbor to try out. Every thing is happening very slowly but at least i can keep my eye on what ever you are all discussing at the moment.My purpose in this message is to let any one coming to Perranporth for a holiday know there is hope of getting a signal. Thank you every one for all your tips. :tanning:

Carni, Vodaphone are terrible. sorry you couldn't get a signal. I couldn't either my phone wouldn't work. unless I stood on a hill in my village, practically standing up on my head, with my arm stuck out at a 45 degree angle and holding my breath. So much for the glossy ad's.

​Reminds me of the good old days, a bit like a harry Worth sketch, with a portable indoor areil, having to be a contortionist to get a signal.

De Da.

• Upvote 1

Not wanting to say it but "I told you so" . The Vodaphones signal IS rubbish in Cornwall !! It may be OK where you are Carni so stick with it .

#21 Beefsteak,

Yup ya wuz right, this is the the first time i have got a signal since Saturday(enough to sign in) here in Perranporth. I have managed to get on a couple of times but only enough to see whats going on, and then the signal would break up. So all i can say to add to all of your advice is ...if you come to Cornwall its seems to be a problem with signals especially if you are surrounded by hills.. We went into one of the shops to see what choices we have, but i'm not prepared to pay £39, when, because we are near the sea and surrounded by hills there may still be a problem and we are only here for a week and need the dosh for Pasties and Ice cream, So if you Don't hear from me again, its cos i have lost the signal again. Bye All for now

Well Hello, I'm back in rainy W-ton, just to say whoopee, no more climbing walls dangling my vodaphone dongle thingy from high up places, just got enough signal early morning and last thing at night to have a peep at Nottstalga.There are internet cafes in Perranporth and it is possible to get a signal, but because of the location it will not be fantastic.

Well there you go folks, when you ask for advice and someone gives it to you , you'd do well to listen to them ! ........................................... slywink

Thank you Beefsteak, you advised me well. It was worth taking my laptop, just to have a look in the wee small hours, but i couldn't participate most of the time as you say the signal is rubbish.