Does anyone know the origina of their school badge?

In teh early 1960s (63 I think) our school (St B's Sneinton Dale) decided that a new uniform and badge were required. A competition was held for a badge design and lo! it was won by the art master himself with his phoenix rising design.

Here's the old badge. New badge may have to wait until tomorrow when I get a copy from a friend.

935938_10200228538426682_1296846815_n.jp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never got school colours. I got county colours for athletics but school colours seemed to go to the rugger buggers. I still bear a grudge about that. 

Most of the colours I got playing rugby at Mellish were black and blue ,sometimes a bit of red thrown in but that could have been blood I suppose.

Here's the new St B's badge. The phoenix rising was the new school being built up the hill but in the same site as the old school:

I once read an explanation for all the elements on the Fairham badge, but I can't now find it or remember it.

The bridge at the top is to commemorate the newly-built (at the time the school opened) Clifton bridge. I don't know what the bird is supposed to be; looks like some demented swan.

fairham.jpg

Looks as if its in a bit of a flap, having landed unwittingly on that pointy crown thing !

Long Eaton Grammar had a sort of green and gold thing, but I can't remember what it was. It also had the motto "I'll bear no base mind" - which I seem to remember is a quote from Shakespeare.

Cliff, the thing on top of the bird's head almost makes it look like a peacock! My badge was easy, William Crane was a councillor I think, even a Lord Mayor, something of the sort, so we had a crane bird on our badge, I think it may have had the school motto on also, Laetitia Sevire - Gladly Serve.

Does anyone have an Arnold County High School badge from the 59-64 era, please?

One piece of memorabilia that I do not possess is an old school badge, the 2 headed eagle type.

Willing to pay a fair price for the real thing......just heartfelt thanks for a picture!

I don't have a picture of my school badge so here goes

The school was St Ann's Junior and the teacher who designed the badge was a Mr Teesdale.

The badge was in blue and yellow with a V upside down with two stars each side of the V and below the V was a moon. The school motto was Aim Higher. Can't remember my senior school badge though.

mary1947

I once read an explanation for all the elements on the Fairham badge, but I can't now find it or remember it.

The bridge at the top is to commemorate the newly-built (at the time the school opened) Clifton bridge. I don't know what the bird is supposed to be; looks like some demented swan.

fairham.jpg

My rugby club, Moderns, used a swan as well because the land we play on had been owned by the Clifton family. Whilst there is a proper Clifton family crest, A swan (sometimes peacock) and the mottto Tenez Le Droit were also used by the family. I seem to remember there's a marker somewhere (like a milestone) with the swan on in the Clifton area but my memory of where fails me.

http://www.clifton-village.org.uk/

Katyjay - Yes, that's as I remember it for William Crane. Laetitia Sevire - Gladly Serve, but I always wondered, and still do, who were we supposed to serve? Nice badge though!

Katyjay - Yes, that's as I remember it for William Crane. Laetitia Sevire - Gladly Serve, but I always wondered, and still do, who were we supposed to serve? Nice badge though!

If you were at Crane then you were supposed to serve the monarch and the Empire. Probably sent to die in the trenches by someone who went to the High School.

No 9. I served in the RAF but no trenches were flying at that time. Oddly enough I was fortunate in that the only action I saw was Gibraltar in the 60s when the Spaniards were buzzing BEA aircraft. They held a referendum as to who wanted to be British and who Spanish. It came out 12,000 + for being Brits, 48 for being Spanish. The 48 ended up being chucked in the harbour!

Re the Fairham badge, the same picture of the swan can be seen cast into the old Clifton bridge end from the Clifton side viewed best from the footpath at the top of the steep rise from Wilford lane(cycle track), family crest of the Clifton family

Rog

Here's the new St B's badge. The phoenix rising was the new school being built up the hill but in the same site as the old school:

IMG_2767.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

It is spanish "I am Ready" but why they chose it I have no idea. Could be "I am ready for the cane" or at least it could in my case <g>

:biggrin: Hi Katyjay and Tomlinson, can you also remember there being a school song to go with the badge for William Crane?

I can recall the last line only of the song which went: 'Gladly serve the youth of Crane.' (I well remember singing this at full throttle in the school hall).

:biggrin: I remember William Crane's school badge costing 2/6d (Half a Crown) - 12 and a half pence new money.

I recall the headmistress Mrs Starling coming into our class in Junior school and telling us about the new badge; how it was in honour of Alderman William Crane. A beautiful design was this badge: an oval shape with a bright, light blue bird on a navy background; with the Latin motto: 'Laetitia Servire' written around the embroidery of the bird.

It all seemed so exciting back then, the school even had a song/hymn especially written for we pupils to sing in Assembly.

I loved singing and with the new school song/hymn felt such joy singing my heart out at the end of school Assembly:

'Laetitia Servire, gladly serve the youth of Crane' - it was as though this song was meant to inspire all we pupils before our lessons began!

PS: I don't know whether the song was sung in the William Crane Senior School, as I left this Splendid school at the age of 11.

PPS: I wrote a lengthy article for 'Bygones' some years ago, about the William Crane Schools as they were about to be closed. I remember well my conclusion to this article; in summing up my early school years spent at William Crane, I wrote that: 'the school gave me, 'Solid Learning To Last Forever'............ :biggrin: (and it did! :cool: )

:biggrin: Hi Katyjay and Tomlinson, can you also remember there being a school song to go with the badge for William Crane?

I can recall the last line only of the song which went: 'Gladly serve the youth of Crane.' (I well remember singing this at full throttle in the school hall).

Sorry! It took me a while before I found this post. I remember some of the words and I remember the tune but won't bother singing it for you.

'Loved of the fathers long ago were Aspley's pleasant meads, now by home and school transformed, they serve our greater needs', { I think something like} 'but still by Strelley's hallowed walls and Nuthall's country Lanes, Latitia Sevire, gladly serve oh youth of Crane'. We also sang at full throttle and it was an excellent tune for stamping your feet to! I'm sure there's more but memory fails.

• 4 years later...

Circa 1963 our school art teacher redesigned the school badge; this was the result.  The badge is a pheonix rising meant to represent new building rising up the hill from the old buildings below.  The badge was bluie background, gold lining and red flames - can't remember the colour of the pheonix. Anyone else have images of your old school badges?  

22535461798_0c46b9fc14_b.jpg

And here's mine and Lizzie's school badge.  Naughty Lizzie cut it off her blazer pocket ... detention for you, my girl!

The  tree is the 'Tree of Knowledge' with the 5 branches/roots being the 5 senses.  It's a willow tree and the River Trent is in the background.   (They didn't put an image of the sewage station on, although we were often very aware of its presence!)

IMG_4454.jpg 

• Like 1

Margie, that is a picture of a little metal pin badge they dished out for attendees of a School Reunion 15 years ago.  But this is the actual badge I cut off the pocket of my blazer before the blazer went into the bin 50 years ago!  Refused to wear bottle green for many years after that!

6_F94_AE9_B-_B8_A8-4_B3_A-8_FB6-5_B298_F

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to School Badges