Totally disillusioned with your time there I presume ! 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never got school colours. I got county colours for athletics but school colours seemed to go to the rugger buggers. I still bear a grudge about that. 

Most of the colours I got playing rugby at Mellish were black and blue ,sometimes a bit of red thrown in but that could have been blood I suppose.

Here's the new St B's badge. The phoenix rising was the new school being built up the hill but in the same site as the old school:

Our blazer was royal blue but to make it even worse....it had blue and gold braided trim around the edges!

• 7 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2013 at 12:33 PM, Trevor S said:

Does anyone have an Arnold County High School badge from the 59-64 era, please?

One piece of memorabilia that I do not possess is an old school badge, the 2 headed eagle type.

Willing to pay a fair price for the real thing......just heartfelt thanks for a picture!

I don't think it was a double headed eagle.  Although I have a fair collection of badges, that one escaped me when I left!

Apparently the eagle was on the school badge, as 'Arnold' was, or meant, 'the valley of the eagles'. I don't have a specific picture of the badge, but may be able to crop one from another photograph.

School motto an school hymn - 'With Reverence Risk All.'

Have you  posted a badge request on the ACHS thread?

The Manning Badge was quite uninspiring, simply the letters M and S overlaid in school colours grey red and white.  Inside the front cover of the school hymn book, which I still have... someone pinched mine and I had to buy a replacement...is pasted the school hymn.  O loving Lord who art forever seeking/Loyal and true disciples of thy will...

I can't remember ever singing it but, knowing me, I'd have penned my own version!  The pasted in copy makes reference to "Thy free forgiveness in the hour of need"   At Manning? You must be joking :blink:

• Like 1

I went to Bilborough Grammar and after reading this thread looked the school badge online. It was (and I quote) the arms of William Peveril, first lord of the manor of Strelley and Bilborough combined with the book of learning and sword of justice! The school motto was Summa fire ac probitate (scholar of highest honour and integrity). The badge was designed by someone at Nottingham Castle Museum. Oower just about sums up the pretentious little twit who was headmaster during my time there, always felt he had delusions of grandeur, it was after all just a school on a council estate. One good thing from looking at this have found the address of a website for the school to have a look at, other than that my time there was mostly boring and at worst excruciating.

• 3 years later...

I never minded wearing NCT green, even when they changed the summer coats to beige and green. Truth be told, my uniform was the nearest I had to suit.

• Like 1

It's a Phoenix CT,  Clifton family coat of arms, "towards Fulfilment" was the motto of the school, don't think I ever felt fulfilled at fairham

Rog

• Cliff Ton changed the title to School Badges
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

It's a Phoenix CT,  Clifton family coat of arms, "towards Fulfilment" was the motto of the school, 

I remember the motto Towards Fulfilment, but I don't remember knowing about it being a Phoenix and the coat of arms.

I think you can see the "Phoenix" in stone/concrete either end of the old Clifton bridge and on the base of the Clifton statue on the embankment near the H'apenny bridge

Rog

Manning's was Omnia Probate, Optima Tenete. Biblical in origin. Roughly translated, it means: That will teach you to pass your 11+, clever dick!

It was inscribed in gold lettering around The Dome, under which miscreants were obliged to stand, so there was no missing it. Never stood there myself. Somehow, I escaped.

• Like 1

At Mellish it was 'Tenax Propositi', firm of purpose or tenacious in purpose. This was inscribed under a gold centaur, half man half horse. It was introduced part way through my school career, in the late 50's. Prior to that it was just an overlapping HM. I think they wanted to go upmarket!

On 1/20/2023 at 8:39 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I remember the motto Towards Fulfilment, but I don't remember knowing about it being a Phoenix and the coat of arms.

Notice the shape of Clifton bridge at the top of the badge and compare it to the bridge centre section in the photo

78258204-10158328755862952-8567519810517

Rog

I can just about remember the early days of Clifton Bridge. It's now grown beyond anything which could've been expected back in the late 50s; but the bridge in that photo is still there, surrounded by multi-lane multi-level additions.

C.T., just a quick query. Looking at the above photograph, in the late 50s, did the road coming over Clifton Bridge just go straight up towards the Nottingham Knight Island? I assume the little road on the right headed towards West Bridgford. On Clifton bridge, I don't see any turn to Clifton.

Alas, I never went over there until the early 60s, when I started work on the buses. (When visiting my relatives I traveled from Broad Marsh as a nipper).