What will your car fail its MOT on

Useful info when looking at buying second hand cars of any age.

I was amazed at the amount of people who put their cars through MOT with bulbs not working?

Or you could do what my daughter does when an MOT is due, put your car in part X for another nail!!!!!! noblue

• Upvote 1

well im still quite happy with my mk1 ford focus which is 14 years old ive had it for 7 years and only had to replace stuff over the years the usual wear and tear and its like a new car and every time ive took it for m.o.t. its passed every time - happy days :)

At nine years old mine failed the MOT for the first time on a burned out bulb in front sidelight.

Yes I did check it before I took it in. The tester put a new one in and gave me a pass. cert.

• Upvote 1

We don't have to worry about things like that, both our vehicles are registered in Arkansas as the wife's business is there. They require by law that your vehicle be maintained to acceptable safety standards, which means if your stopped for a light out, expect a nice fine, same with tyres etc.

Here in Missouri, vehicles have to be checked for tyres, windshield, no cracks in the drivers area that may impede him/her from seeing the road safely, washers, brakes and play in steering, they also check to make sure the emission system hasn't been tampered with.

I forget how often the test period covers..

California just tested for emissions every year.

I've nowt to complain about with my Citroen Xsara - bought new in 2001, and still going strong. A few things replaced for wear and tear etc. Oh, on second thoughts - one complaint. Changing headlamp bulbs requires hands smaller than mine (which aren't that big!) - after I've finished my hands look as though I've been scrapping with an angry cat.

• 3 weeks later...