Nikon D3100 or D3200.

As a novice, thinking about buying a Nikon. Can anyone please tell me the major differences between the models, and which is best?. Thank you. not too bothered about the number of pixels. De Da.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember that it isn't the camera that takes good pictures, it's the person using it. An idiot with a very expensive camera will do nothing compared to a good photographer and a basic camera.

Everything you need to know at Nikon's site including videos on "how to" which will show you the differences...I bought a D5000 a couple of years back, more than happy with the quality and quality of the photos it takes.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/home/ThemeID.27720500

Sold my D90 due to the weight, I could not be arsed to carry the thing around all day.

Replaced with a Panasonic LX5,mrs catfan owns that one now, I have just bought a Panasonic LX7.

SIZE IS NOT IMPORTANT, as they say !

Yeah, they are pretty heavy to lug around, then there's the extra lenses if you get too involved with the hobby... I do like the versatility of DSLR's though.

Tip though that goes for ALL makes of DSLR cameras, make sure you buy from a UK authorized dealer in your case.....Warranty issues abound from buying them outside the country of sale!!!

Here's a better NIKON site to check out the differences.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/index.htm

You might also want to check on the "bridge" cameras, they don't have all the features of a DSLR, but are cheaper, lighter and take pretty good pictures.

My wife uses a Kodak bridge camera that takes a great photo, sometimes I think better than my D5000 at times!!

Thank you so much my friend. I have a Fuji bridge camera, and a Toshiba 3D camera, I bought recently. but I want something to take some semi pro pictures to take mainly of your city. I really appreciate your advice, will check out site, and consider your advice. take care De Da.

This was taken with the D5000 at the dam at Mammoth Spring, one of the largest fresh water springs in the world.

DSC_0114.jpg

Clearing my north east field, taken with the D5000.

DSC_0084wedapril11.jpg

Mammoth Spring State Park, taken with the D5000..

DSC_0110.jpg

Wow beautiful. I may get a camera, but I doubt I'll have your skill. Where was in taken the states?. Thank you. I'll look athat camera too. De Da.

I've had a Nikon Coolpix L120 for 18 months and hardly used it as I haven't been bothered to read the instruction book yet. Must get around to that sometime! It takes a good photo though.

Kodak produced a photographic series of books years back covering almost every aspect of photography, although most of it dealt with film cameras, it's still relevant to today's digital age..

As Clif-ton states, it's the person behind the camera that takes the pictures, the camera is just the tool that captures the image.

I'm a mediocre amateur when it comes to taking photos, I don't see things an artist would see, and that's what a good photographer is, an artist, same principles, an eye for the subject, but instead of paint, brushes and canvas, he has a camera.

The photos above, the dam at Mammoth Spring State Park, just south of the state line between Missouri and Arkansas, the spring and park are in Arkansas, I was down there last year doing some business and decided to take some photos to kill an hour or two.

Second photo is part of my land in Missouri, third one again Mammoth Spring State Park in Arkansas.

Incidently, the D5000 was superseded by a more up to date camera, it's been around about five years now...

Here's one of the first photos I took with the D5k...Little too green for my liking, but hadn't quite got how to operate the camera properly at that stage...

It's a horned tomato worm eating my tomato vine, these buggers can strip a tomato vine in 24 hours left alone!!!

DSC_0032hornedtomatowormA.jpg

The Nikon D3200 about a hundred pounds cheaper.

The lens is the important bit on any camera if you want to take good pictures as opposed to photos ! (Please note , I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet as for every picture like that one above there are 9 rubbish ones.)
I took just 2500 photos at this years RIAT (I normally take around 4000 over the 4 days) as the penny has dropped a bit more, it's still got a long way to go! Of these I shall whittle it down to around 300.

I use a 100-400 is usm lens and they come in at around £1200 now, I got mine for 900 a few years ago. The 550d is about 500 quid.

The problem is Ian, not everyone has a few thousand to spare to spend on cameras and lenses, personally, I'd love a couple of thousand spare for top flight lenses, but a tight budget forbids that, so I had to have the kit lenses, oddly enough, I've seen a couple of professional "Togs" who still use the kit lenses for regular work and use their expensive lenses for weddings etc. But they have the bucks, and take a spare camera to weddings etc with a "helper" to catch those rare off the cuff snaps he misses while concentrating on the main event..

The gent who started this thread may also be on a tight budget, that's why I suggested maybe a Bridge camera, some of those take some really great pictures..

Either way, choosing the D3100 or the D3200 suggests he's on a fairly tight budget, they are good cameras, but at the lower end of the expensive DSLR range, whats classed as beginners DSLR's.

I'd presume taking photos while he's out and about, buildings, scenery etc... He never made mention of video, of which a D3100 and 3200 can do, both will take wildlife "action" photos, scenic, portraits etc with the right lenses.

Why and where do I seem to have caused a problem John ?

I simply posted a photograph, then answered the query that followed it !

I too use my kit lens for normal stuff (Family portraits etc) as they're normally a bit close to get the big lens to focus on them !

Sounds good. I'm a bit like that. i buy something and don't use it. you ought to though. so many things to snap. Thank you. best wishes. De Da.

Hi calfan, if you are referring to me, I want to take snaps of nature and architecture around the city.any advice would be welcome. Thank you. De da.