Easom Family - mainly Basford

Trying to put together the male line of my ancestors on my mothers side and any help would be very much appreciated.

My Grandfather was John William Easom and he had a brother George who I have been unable to find much information on.

John William Easom was born in 1886 and was a leather dresser. He served during the First world war and I believe was in the Royal artillery.His father was a Joseph Thomas Easom and his mother Elizabeth Bolstridge .

I have been given the following addresses:-

1891 - 52 Cowley Street, Basford

1901 - 30 Blackstone Street

1911 - 2 Orchard Road, Sawston, Cambridgeshire

1915 - 228 Highbury Road

As long as I remember him from 1946 he lived at 1 Langley Road, Spondon.

He married a Florence Bolderstone on 5th June 1911. Her mother was a Mary Ann Brown. I understood that Mary Brown was from the Browns of the Nottingham furniture store Henry Barker Smart and Brown. I was given to understand that the Browns disowned my great grandmother Mary Brown because she had married beneath their 'social class.!!

If anyone has any information especially with regard to George Easom - born about 1890 please get in contact.

Email:XXXXXX

There was a George E. Easom of The Sherwood Foresters killed in WW1 in 1916 aged 24 , see snippet of family notice in the Evening Post below .

He may not be yours though , as its more likely to be the one born December Qtr . 1899 assuming your birth dates are correct and he would be about 26 / 27 in Nov 1916

Births Dec 1889 (>99%)
Easom George Basford 7b 169
Births Jun 1892 (>99%)
Easom George Edward Nottingham 7b 329
DEATHS.
EASOM.—Killed in action, October 26th, 1916, George E. Sherwood Foresters. age 24. ..............
heart to-day, for the one loved dearly, ever passed away.—Heartbroken wife and two sons" EASOM.—Killed in action. October 26th
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
27/11/1916
Family notice

Hi David,

I think your logic is correct.

I was always given to understand that he had survived although no one in the family ever spoke of him (to my knowledge). Makes me wonder WHY? Maybe I will never know, now. It was just a remote chance that someone on this site might know...........

Looks like you have your George listed on Genesreunited .

Somebody from Ilkeston also has a George Easom born 1890 listed on there . Have you tried contacting her ?

George Easom 1890 ? ... Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*
  • Upvote 1

Hello Paul,

I have been through my directories of Nottingham the only references to the "Easoms" you mention is

Joseph Thomas Easom (Dyer) 41 Woodward Street. (Kelly's 1916)

In 1868 Wrights directory there are listed the following

David Easom "Farmer" Mill Street Old Basford

John Easom "Bag hosier" Crosland Street, Leen Side

In 1891 Kelly's

Mrs Frederick Easom 30 Raleigh Street Radford.

There are many other "Easoms" listed in my directories but rather too many to list here BUT if there are any other "Easons" you are interested in I will quite happily look them up.

Hi David,

Very interesting note re. the person from Ilkeston. I don't know of a way of contacting the person you mention without becoming a member of GR. Do you have any other information which I could use in order to make contact, please?

ATB

Paul

Well I will send a message and give the link to this thread and see what happens .

Don't build your hopes up though , as very few of those that I contact with regard to my family history ever bother to reply on GR.

Paul,

Nothing received from my message to that person on Genesreunited but as I said , that seems to be usual these days . I guess people lose interest or change email addresses etc.

I have only just picked up on the fact that you say you are not a member of Genesreunited and yet there is a listing for George Easom born Nottingham 1890 that has been added by someone called Paul . I assumed that was you ? If its another Paul let me know and I will message them too .

Hi David,

Thanks for your taking the trouble to follow this up.

I'm not a paid up member of Genesreunited and so am very restricted as to what I can do on that site.

I'm sure that you will know that they do allow a very restricted use to people such as me - and yes that entry will have been mine.

It is really odd how quite a bit of information available exists (including war records) for my grandfather, John William Easom, but George, his brother just seems to be well below the radar. This, combined with the fact that I don't remember him ever being spoken of, makes me wonder if, perhaps, he was the 'black sheep' of the family........

I'll just have to keep digging & thanks again for trying to help me.

• 6 months later...

Hello Paul,

I think we may be related. I'm the grandson of Beatrice Easom. I recall my aunt saying that the last time her mother saw her brother George was at the station when he left to go to war. Both Beatrice and her younger sister Elizabeth were there. They never hear from them again after this. My aunt recalled meeting her uncle John during the war when she was in Nottingham. Beatrice and Elizabeth both emigrated to Canada in 1919 and 1921 respectively. It's a very strange story. Not sure how to find him.

I don't know if there is any connection but I am at present living in a house (until next month) that is owned by Geoffrey Easom. He now lives in Norwich but his roots are in Mansfield. I was told that his father used to own a haulage company and was the first millionaire in Mansfield.

• 1 month later...

Hello 'oblender',

Good to read your post & sorry to be so long in replying. I had begun to think that the chance of possible contacts had been exhausted & had not checked for new posts until tonight.

From the information you have given I think that there is no doubt whatever that we are related.

We have done much research on both sides of my family and it is all neatly presented on the Ancestry.co.uk website. If you can let me have your email address I will make this available to you.

I remember Aunty Lizzie (grandpa's sister) from when she visited England and stayed with us. I still have a few photos taken then. Also Charles Staples who stayed with my parents, Harold and Iris Cotton (formerly Florence Iris Easom)

Do please get in touch.

ATB

Paul

I have removed a private email address for security reasons (you might find yourself on the receiving end of tons of spam). To contact another member please use the PM system - hover your mouse over the person's name on the left for details.

Cliff Ton

• 4 months later...