Does 'King George's Park' still exist, or has it disappeared under building schemes like others? It is/was at the Broxtowe end of Aspley Lane and I haven't been up there for some time.

• 3 months later...

Does 'King George's Park' still exist, or has it disappeared under building schemes like others? It is/was at the Broxtowe end of Aspley Lane and I haven't been up there for some time.

It is still definitely still there hun........ It has changed a lot recently tho x

We William Crane senior girls had to traipse down to this park for tennis. Bloody waste of time, the teachers only encouraged the ones who were good at it, the rest of us farted about for the rest of the lesson.

• Upvote 1

typical of a lot of pe teachers and of a lot of other other subjects too. if youfound the class easy and were interested you got a lot of attention and help if it was difficultyou were left to get on with itand got very little help or encouragement

As Gedling Borough Council found out to their cost when they tried to redevelop the KGV field in Arnold, these are protected spaces and virtually impossible for councils or land-grabbers to do anything with but leave them as playing fields.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George%27s_Fields

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Deepdene, when did your dad work for NCT and at which depot ? Maybe could it have been your good self who was at Bilborough depot, if so, what year ? B.

Beekay, my Dad is Clive Johnson. He started as a conductor on the trolleybuses from Bulwell in 1963 and moved to Bilborough depot in 1965 when he passed his PSV test to be a driver. He would have been 23 when he moved to Bilborough depot, his first regular conductor was a lady called Jackie, and then he was paired with a bloke called Keith. He transferred to Parliament St in 1969 after we moved to Clifton. Do you remember him?

• Like 1

He would have been at Bilborough at the same time as me Deepdene. I was there from late 61' until leaving in late 66'. I was a conductor until 64' then went to driving school at Carter gate in November. Think it was about a four week course then went back to Bilborough as a ' spare ' until I got a regular mate. Teamed up with John (Andy) Devine. They were all the best years of my working life. When I got married in 65'  we hired a double decker to take guests from St. Martha's Broxtowe, to co-op Elizabethan rooms for reception. Corpo wanted me to drive it and my new missus on the platform at the back in her wedding dress!. Anything for publicity. We declined.

I wonder if I would recognise a picture of your dad ? Beekay.

Beekay, I don't have any photos that are easily uploadable at the moment. However given that this thread relates to Aspley Lane, you might remember an accident in 67/68 involving Regent V , number 270, (apparently not a popular bus). Dad was running light after a schools run to take up a 53 on Western Boulevard, when a car pulled out of a side turn just by the dentist's. He managed to avoid the car that pulled out on him, but badly damaged a brand new Volvo, much to the chagrin of the owner who was having some dental work done at the time.

Unfortunately I had finished Corpo' by then. Went to work for a year at Smith Dennis on Berridge rd. From there up to Bulwell driving tipper lorry for my uncle. ( you could always email me a picture, but it's no problem if you prefer not to.)  B.