Greek restaurant nottingham - El Greco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello I was wondering if any one remembers a greek resturant in nottingham in 1959, trying to find a name but can't find nothing, if any one could be of help Many thanks

El Greco on Alfreton Road.

Thats it CATFAN,

Hi all I've just spoke to my uncle from Nottingham he said the man in after is called Mr peters but the restaurant was over on bridlesmith gate and the restaurant was called le shapier that is probably not how you spell it at all, just wondered if anyone has any idea or remembers it at all ? I know that restaurant doesn't sound Greek at all so I'm really confused 😩

Not what Poppy wants but getting back to El Greco and following on from Rob L 's find on previous page for an El Greco company at Codnor the owners name appears to be George or Gorgios Kafcoulas .

There are variations of the name in the Nottingham records including the birth of a Nickos in 1995 with mothers surname of Payne . Possible they were connected to the Nottingham El Greco .

• 9 months later...

I was unable to locate any evidence for the existence for the El Greco restaurant until 1968 of the floor plan structure of the building but no name of the owner was found on the archive. The address was 23-25 Alfreton Road, Notts.

The building was known to be Alfreton Cafe in 1950-1956, thanks to the search in the directories.

The Robin Hood fish bar, 208 Arkwright street, Notts is a registered business from 1971

The research is all from the Archives and Kelly's directories

• 1 year later...

The El Greco on Alfreton Road was famed for its Steak and chips and was the hang out of many footballers and performers from the theatres and shows. It was run by a Greek couple surnamed Loizou with the help of their children, Mario, Leah (?) and Andreas. They then moved to The Cavendish arms at Shardlow. They also owned a wine bar in (i think) Jersey for a while. When the Parents retired to Cyprus Mario and his sister ran the Cavendish for a period before selling it.

Mario (who i knew very well at the time) was a colourful and larger than life character and was very well known around the Pubs and clubs of Nottingham in the 80's & 90's. He also managed the Duke of Newcastle in old Basford for a few years.

Mario's parents both passed in Cyprus, his mother a few years ago and his father (Nikki?) a couple of years ago.

Sadly i heard last week ago that Mario had also died in Bulwell a couple of years ago and was taken to Cyprus to be buried with his parents. I would be grateful if anyone could confirm any details for this.

Hope this information fills in a few holes.