Greek restaurant nottingham - El Greco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello I was wondering if any one remembers a greek resturant in nottingham in 1959, trying to find a name but can't find nothing, if any one could be of help Many thanks

El Greco on Alfreton Road.

Thats it CATFAN,

• 1 year later...

I remember one top end of Alfreton rd early 60s,i remember it cos it had an outside loo.

• 2 months later...

Hello I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply I had to take time out of my search sadly my nan was diagnosed August 13 with terminal cancer. So all my focus went to her sadly we lost her. But Im trying to carry on with my search. Thank you for some of your comments I'll look into them names. My dad was adopted he was born in Nottingham in his records state that his father could be a Greek restaurant owner, my dad was born early 1960. His name was Elias that's all I know.

• Upvote 1

Hello I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply I had to take time out of my search sadly my nan was diagnosed August 13 with terminal cancer. So all my focus went to her sadly we lost her. But Im trying to carry on with my search.

Sorry to hear about your loss Poppy, but I think you deserve congratulations for coming back after 2 years to carry on with your search. That's the first time I've received a "Like" on a comment two years after I made it :happy:

I hope you succeed in finding a few answers.

Thanks catfan yes my dad isn't very tall either. That's right I know he had a wife I doubt very much he would b alive now but I'm sure there's siblings out there, do you know what happened to the restaurant or any of them?

Thank you so much for replying

Twenty years ago I still went in there reguarly, by then it was a fish & chip shop owned by a greek guy called "Elv", superb chippy., which he rented from the El Greco ownerThe El Greco owner was "Elv's" uncle & I am sure he went & opened a restaurant in Matlock, the last time I saw him was 40 odd years ago. If he is still alive he would, I think be 80 + years old.

Anyway back on track, Elv was a smashing bloke but his marriage failed & then he closed down, the premises being empty for a while, it has changed owners many times & now it is this. Hope it helps in some way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.956504,-1.162888,3a,75y,245.16h,87.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgjN6uhm8wjxjwZtJYO58Pw!2e0?hl=en

Simply Pizza Chicken !

Yeh that age sounds about right, long shot but maybe the marriage broke down due to his alleged affair with my dads biological mother. Thank you so much for all this info by the sounds of it, it looks like it's the the person and restaurant I was looking for. Do you remember what the fish shop was called? Thank you again