Greek restaurant nottingham - El Greco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello I was wondering if any one remembers a greek resturant in nottingham in 1959, trying to find a name but can't find nothing, if any one could be of help Many thanks

El Greco on Alfreton Road.

Thats it CATFAN,

No my dads birth father could be elias. No in the adoption file it says that my dads birth mother worked at elias restaurant and I think there may have been seeing each other so I think my biological grandmother weren't sure if this elias was definitely the father but my dad and myself have very dark olive skin.

Hello just wondering if anyone has any info regarding El Greco restaurant in Nottingham, I know it was a long time ago just would like to find out more about the Greek family that ran it. Could possibly be related to myself.

Anything even the smallest details would be greatly appreciated

Merging the thread had me confused Clif Ton :)

Anyways, Perhaps someone here will have directories if we have the street number?

Don't know when/if it closed Ian,...but it was about 100 yards on the left going down from Canning circus,i remember it from the 60s.

And opposite there was Alfreton rd Foodstore,and many years ago i got friendly with the owner,and when i was canvassing for AB Gibsons in the Nottingham area,he was my ist port of call for a packet of 'Fags' and coffee in the back with a group of shall we say 'Ladies of the night' who used to buy their items of the trade there...........they always entertained me witth Tales of tthe night before...lol.

Thank you for all your replies I definitely think El Greco is the restaurant I was after. But the spelling of his name Elias Cerese what I have could be wrong. So going to look into the restaurant name further and see what I can come up with. But thank you all so much for your replies

I used the Greco quite a lot when I was single, a few years later the owner was running (owning?) a restaurant, with his son helping I seem to remember. I'm not 100% sure but I think It was The Cavendish Arms on London Road near Shardlow possibly now called the Green Dragon.

The El Greco was my brothers favorite when he was younger and a regular around town, he took me there a few times after a night out in the city when I was probably around 16-17.

Mind my brother only probably had steak and chips as he didn't eat much foreign stuff, in them days, as he called it.

In later life he virtually lived on food from his local Chinese which he pre ordered and picked up on his way home from the pub. Probably part of his final demise if truth be known. That and alcohol and fags.