Who was 'Silver Birch'?

Silver Birch , went round the yorkshire pits trying to get strikers back to work..His name was Chris Butcher, he wasnt a union offical, he was a blacksmith/shaftsman at Bevercotes Colliery....worked with me old man who was also a blacksmith and union president at Bevercotes...we knew Who the 'birch' was , except the papers and the Government.

Nice bloke really , bit head strong though lol..

I was sworn to secrecy LOL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spoke with a former mining engineer 5 or 6 years ago, and he said that with modern mining technology and technology available to ensure cleaner  and more efficient burning of the coal available, Bri

Silas Birch... once member of the stunt moped team known as the Flying Mopedaire's.. one of their tricks was to race point to point whilst each rider stood on the saddle with arms outstreched.. on

There were certainly many aspects to the strike which have yet to be exposed. Reckon we'll have to wait for the infamous '30 year rule' for the truth to come out....hope I can last another 8 years!

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

Cloughie was confused. He thought they were demonstrating for alcoalhole.

The NCB spent the first 40 years as a nationalised industry lying about the extent of Britain's coal reserves: it ensured government investment was always available. The truth was that by the early 1980s the economically viable reserves had been exhausted and the game was up. The NUM didn't face reality.

The UK has billions of tonnes of coal, whether they can be extracted economically is open to argument.

• Like 1

I spoke with a former mining engineer 5 or 6 years ago, and he said that with modern mining technology and technology available to ensure cleaner  and more efficient burning of the coal available, Britain could be energy self sufficient for 300 years. Pity there isn't the political will to grab the bull by the horns and go for it, rather then letting ill informed rent a mob environmentalists getting their own way.

• Like 2