Of all the memories that you have about anything, which are the earliest? I remember being chased, in fun, by my mother on Tunstall Crescent, Aspley, and wondering how it was she could run faster than me without effort. I also remember being at the 'clinic', Aspley Lane, for Clinic Orange Juice. Lovely stuff it was too!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate of mine was working on chimneys there...they had steel sheets on the roof in case of accidents...didn't want bricks falling through the roof...they were wired together on the apex of the roof....

I have no idea how old I was, but as far back as I remember we used to pick nettle flowers and suck the sweet nectar from them. Well at least that's what I think it was! Never gave it a thought as to

My granddad was a train driver at Middle Furlong Road sheds. I remember being taken to meet him at the entrance to the sheds when I was quite young. An engine let off steam and I legged it down Middle

I recall sitting in a highchair, with my mum applying hot Kaolin poultice to my shoulder, of course I cried...........................I was only 22

• Upvote 1

There used to be a creche at the top corner of the Queens Walk reccie, the Brierley St side. Remember being taken there at the age of four. Refused to stay and was then taken home, never to return. Would have been 1948.

My Dad digging us a boat in the sand at Lowesoft in 1963, then going to meet his mate "Bill Sampson" , who was on holiday there too.

It was my second birthday whilst we were there. !!

My very earliest memory was going round to a neighbours in Netherfield to watch the Coronation on a tiny TV with a magnifying glass on the front of the screen but then I also remember going into town with Mum to meet my Dad coming out of the General Hospital with a very bruised face because he'd sustained a broken cheek bone whilst playing football. I was really scared of him as he looked so awful!!

Morris Terrace, Daybrook, circa 19534. A girl next door. Nice, she was. She played in the sandpit built by my dad in the yard :) I had apal Desmond Gearing who lived on Morris Street. His dad had a Morris minor van. He took me to Newark for a day out once.

Running round chasing a large tractor pulled mower in the park at Lenton Abbey, where I was born. The tractor stopped and my friend fell into the blade cutting his knee wide open !

I left Lenton to move to Mapperley when I was 5, so I must have been around 4 at the time.

I also remember getting stung by a bee or wasp in my mouth and later my aunt said it was an apple I was eating that the insect had landed on and again I was around 3-4.

Also going into hospital at 5 for my tonsils out, very scary.

Earliest memory wandering off along the back of the house we lived in in Netherfield and into a neighbor's backyard where a large Alsation sat outside the back door. I would have been around two in 1946. He didn't take too kindly to strange kids in his yard and bit me on the lip. I had several stitches and still have a faint scar there. On a happier note. My uncle drove an electric delivery van for the co-op. He'd come home for lunch and usually gave me a ride to the top of the street in his van. Had to walk back though.

hellothereTomlinson, lovely idea for a topic..........

My earliest memory is of being with my grandad outside in the garden at Southwold Drive, helping him clean out the chickens - I must have been 3 years old at the time.

PS: the image is crystal clear in my mind as I type. :biggrin:

Not exactly the earliest, but an early one. The first time I left home on my own. I was probably about 4 or 5 and was allowed to go round the block on my 3-wheeled bike. It meant I was out of my parents sight for 2 or 3 minutes. Not sure who was more worried - them or me.

oldbike.jpg

• Upvote 2

I can remember my dad taking me to the papershop on a Sunday morning, I was in a pushchair, so probably about 2 or 3,and can remember sitting on a little bench in the shop while he paid for the papers, and I can remember him bringing spangles home with him when he came home from t'pit, again I wouldn't have been more than 3 or 4 as we moved from that house when I was 5. More obscurely I seem to remember my granddad looking at me in my pram. I can see him now with his glasses on peering in at me. The only thing is I'm not sure if that is a memory borne out of my mum telling me about it, apparently it made me cry, but it seems very real!!

darkanza re #13 , I'm glad you said that , as I have a similar memory of being in my pram in the garden in the sunshine by the front door . (When you could leave children un-attended outside in prams to get "fresh air" !) . My vague memory is of a cat jumping on the pram and my mother shooing it off....whether thats real or if she told me later I have no idea .

Later memory was walking up Westdale Lane to Plains Rd Infants school with my mum or of hopping on a number 25 bus if there was one coming. Not sure why I went there as I lived much closer to the "wooden huts", Westdale Infants and after a short while did change to go there .

Remember being in one of the classrooms there and the warmth from the open stove burning away in the corner ......unfortunately that also brings back a memory of peeing my pants in class and trying to hide the evidence that fell on the shiny parquet floor !!

Also remember playing a jumping game in the sand pits there . I tried to jump over one lad and sadly misjudged my leap and kicked him in the head . He yelled his head off and to avoid punishment I hid underneath the wooden huts till playtime finished .

I also seem to remember going to Grandmas in Park Rd , Carlton and looking out of an upstairs window and the excitement of seeing a fair , especially have a vision of the helter skelter , Carlton wakes ?

I hesitated to recount mine as again it was of being in the pram, and I have thought that surely a memory so far back was questionable. Anyway, it was being in the pram on Curzon Street outside of Grans with a second cousin pushing the pram up the hill then letting it roll back to him with the accompanying "goo-goo" baby talk!

You don't mention how old you were at the time, tomlinson.

True. I somehow recall I'd given up smoking a pipe and sarted having gin with the orange juice!

• Upvote 1

I remember at 8 getting hit in the head by a snowball with a brick in it, Put me in a coma for 3 weeks.

Or so they told me.

Then at 12 tried out City hospital for a year after wrecking on my bicycle.

Not sure how old I was, but was still in my pram, being pushed by an older girl on Southwark Street. In my mind's eye we are going underneath scaffolding around a shop. Talking to an older cousin of mine a few years ago, she said when I was a baby she would take me out in my pram, so I'm guessing it was her pushing me to our grandma's house on Cheltenham St. Next memory is being 2 years old, standing on the 'corsy' outside our entry, eating a bread and butter crust, watching my older brother and his mate running around a delivery truck parked on the street. They met in the middle, with me in the middle, and down I went. The next bit I can't remember but mam said I came home crying, she put me to bed that night and I was still whining, so she took me to the Children's Hospital the next day. I remember this bit, sitting in a waiting room, then getting my arm in plaster as I'd broken my collar bone. I used to tell everyone I'd broken my collar stud.

My earliest memories are of swimming in the sea,-salty and warm! My mum had tied a rope around my middle so I did not float away, and drown.

Then a vice like grip grabbed my head and began squeezing it every 3 minutes! Then I saw a bright white light at the end of a dark tunnel before this woman began beating me for no good reason.

I can`t remember much before that ,no idea how I got into the tunnel in the first place!

Having thought a bit more of this, I remember what I think was my first book. It was one of those thick card publications for children and was about two coal miners, appropriately enough. What has always stuck in my mind is a picture of them having breakfast. Bacon and two eggs each!!! A luxury of the time!

I remember being dragged out of bed to watch sputnik going overhead, I must have been about three, everyone was exited, cant remember seeing it though. I remember my first day at school (Gotham infants) not impressed at all, lol..

Recall being on dads shoulders, standing on the central reservation of western boulevard, watching Queen Elizabeth go past in her open topped car, never seen so many people

#22 Colly0410, slightly off topic, but you must have been looking for that sputnik the night I was born, as my parents told me they were looking for it on the way to the nursing home!!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Around 1956 or 1957 (I would be almost 3) riding on the top deck of a green and cream Nottingham City Transport bus on Porchester Road (heading North) with my mother and thinking what a huge drop down it was on the left to the Wells Road.