• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate of mine was working on chimneys there...they had steel sheets on the roof in case of accidents...didn't want bricks falling through the roof...they were wired together on the apex of the roof....

I have no idea how old I was, but as far back as I remember we used to pick nettle flowers and suck the sweet nectar from them. Well at least that's what I think it was! Never gave it a thought as to

My granddad was a train driver at Middle Furlong Road sheds. I remember being taken to meet him at the entrance to the sheds when I was quite young. An engine let off steam and I legged it down Middle

There was a butcher dentist in Long Eaton too - Strauss (no relation to the composer as far as I know !) on Derby Road near corner of College Street. A friend of mine went for a filling and Strauss put the drill through his lip - came back to school the following day with the evidence visible.

I recall playing in the 'Wendy House, in Miss Smiths class, Gedling All Hallows' at five years of age. The house contained many miniature versions of furniture etc, one of the smaller items was a plate of fairy cakes, baked to look like the real thing, with glace cherries on top, but rock hard and impossible to bite. Until i came along!. I will always remember hiding in there and trying so hard to bite one of the cakes, no chance!. Well we were told! Just think how many other kids had done the same. Yuk.

Also, Being taken to the dentist at around 11yrs of age, On Main Rd Gedling, some where opposite the bottom of Westdale Lane by my dad. What ever he was trying to do to me, i can't remember, i remember the pain though. No anesthetic given. He stopped treatment and called my dad in the surgery. He told my dad to bring me back another day as he couldn't continue because i was pulling to many faces. That was the start of my life long fear of dentists.

• 1 month later...

Earliest memories are of starting school at Bulwell Hall and a lovely welsh lady named Mrs Morris cooking school meals, and the marvellous summers before the war when we would lie in the grass in Bulwell Hall Park watching the Tiger Moths and Gypsy Moths flying overhead

KatyJay re# 33.

I had a really bad experience at Chaucer St dentists so the next time my mother took me to a dentist on Highbury Vale and he was just as bad.

Can't remember the name but as you went toward Bulwell the surgery was on the right in the Victorian bay fronted houses just before Piccadilly.

Same one maybe?

My granddad was a train driver at Middle Furlong Road sheds. I remember being taken to meet him at the entrance to the sheds when I was quite young. An engine let off steam and I legged it down Middle Furlong road. It took'em ages to catch me.

Daft thing is, I grew up with an absolute passion for those steam locos.

• Upvote 2

Have quite a strong memory of sitting on either my Dad's or an Uncles shoulders whilst lining the streets, specifically outside the bombed Almshouses on Carrington Street, to watch the Sherwood Foresters marching through the city on returning from the War. Would have been in the mid 1940's.

Remember the days when each city had it's own regiment - The Sherwoood Foresters, the Lincolnshire Fusiliers, etc. And a city supported it's own returning and wounded soldiers. Nowadays those returning don't seem to belong anywhere.

• Upvote 1

I can just recall falling into Nottingham canal, from Wilford Street bridge.

Been scared of deep water ever since, and never learnt to swim.

Sob!

And well you should be scared. John Priest of Summers St drowned not far from where you fell in whilst playing near the canal, at this small bridge.

canalbridge.jpg

#40;

Yer reet too.

Glen Peters (or Peterson) of Blackstone Street drowned in the lock just out of view a few weeks after my incident.

Incidentally behind the bridge was British Railways goods yard, where my Dad worked, delivering. First with a horse and dray, then Karrier Bantam and Scammel articulated lorries.

Take care, Cheers.

• Upvote 1

NewBasfordLad re#37, I don't think it was the same dentist, same side of the street though, but I'm sure it was a 30's style bay windowed house, stood back from the road.

NewBasfordLad re#37, I don't think it was the same dentist, same side of the street though, but I'm sure it was a 30's style bay windowed house, stood back from the road.

Yep Katyjay, he was my dentist in the early 80's

• 4 months later...

(

I think Babbs thought novocaine was for wimps, you had to practically beg for it before he started in on you.

I Remember crying as i came out of Chaucer st Dentists,and my mam said (dont me mardy or i"ll take you to BABBS next time)

My very earliest memory is when I must have been 3or4 (only guessing),but I was sat in the back yard in our house at the bottom of carlton hill,eating coal (as you do) have no idea why it sticks in my memory,but it's quite vivid.

• Upvote 1

The greatest thing i am finding about being retired is spending time watching my youngest Grandchilds development,we have him 3 to five days a week as my daughter and son in law work full time.we have seen his 1st crawl and 1st steps to his 1st words,which for some reason all begin with G.

Gangan (grandad)Gan (granma) Goo,Gon,Gondun (garden)Gat (cat) Gen(again)Ganna (banana),and i think its Gate ,sorry Great!

and i wonder what his 1st memories will be? GOOD I HOPE. :)

• Upvote 2

I have no idea how old I was, but as far back as I remember we used to pick nettle flowers and suck the sweet nectar from them. Well at least that's what I think it was! Never gave it a thought as to if wild animals may have visited there first! I am pretty sure we used to eat lots of wild flowers and things (Up the Woods). Still here so we must have got it right :huh:

• Upvote 3