My very earliest memory is when I must have been 3or4 (only guessing),but I was sat in the back yard in our house at the bottom of carlton hill,eating coal (as you do) have no idea why it sticks in my memory,but it's quite vivid.

Just think. Today all the kids have Coke.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate of mine was working on chimneys there...they had steel sheets on the roof in case of accidents...didn't want bricks falling through the roof...they were wired together on the apex of the roof....

I have no idea how old I was, but as far back as I remember we used to pick nettle flowers and suck the sweet nectar from them. Well at least that's what I think it was! Never gave it a thought as to

My granddad was a train driver at Middle Furlong Road sheds. I remember being taken to meet him at the entrance to the sheds when I was quite young. An engine let off steam and I legged it down Middle

I REMEMBER PUSHING a pram full of it from Basford Gas works,get arrested for it now!

My earliest memories include regular visits to the Children's hospital when it was on the road that ran parrallel to Mansfield Road near the Forest (Road name anyone?). The painted brick walls in two drab colours with a thin band of a different colour around waist height. I can still smell the disinfectant to thsi day.

Mate of mine was working on chimneys there...they had steel sheets on the roof in case of accidents...didn't want bricks falling through the roof...they were wired together on the apex of the roof.... Job finished an apprentice went up and removed the wires,but failed to tell my mate.

1...Have you ever seen a roofer surf off a roof on a steel sheet and land in thick thorn bushes on the ground?

2...Have you ever seen an apprentice doing 30mph closely followed by a roofer wielding a slate pick?

• Upvote 3

Earliest holidays? Aged 4 at YMCA at Skegness, Aged 5 in a fisherman's cottage at Mousehole in Cornwall. No running water but a very hot fortnight. Very memorable holiday. Aged 6 YMCA at Rhyl in North Wales.

My earliest memory would have been about 1963 in Thurman Street in Hyson Green. I can distinctly remember being in the neighbour's house and it had been modernised (the memory fails me as to how) but I think that it was totally different from our terraced house in its interior.

The next solid memory I have is playing with a tiny puppy at our new home in Bobbers Mill Road. That dog had a long and happy life, and died in 1980. I miss her to this day.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Of all the memories that you have about anything, which are the earliest? I remember being chased, in fun, by my mother on Tunstall Crescent, Aspley, and wondering how it was she could run faster than me without effort. I also remember being at the 'clinic', Aspley Lane, for Clinic Orange Juice. Lovely stuff it was too!

You don't happen to remember the Lee family at 2 Tunstall Crescent - they were there in 1946 but not sure how long beyond that? Trying to trace what happened to them as they are part of our family - quite difficult from Australia!

You don't happen to remember the Lee family at 2 Tunstall Crescent - they were there in 1946 but not sure how long beyond that? Trying to trace what happened to them as they are part of our family - quite difficult from Australia!

No, I'm afraid not. Tunstall Crescent was in 2 parts, separated by Sherborne Road. As I remember it, number 2 would have been in that part separated from us. We lived at Number 50.

I rember having a nap in the nursery at bosworth school the Meadows then playing in the sand pit. Does anyone know what age you started nursery school at bosworth school

I worked at Bosworth nursery from 1968 to 1971. Children could attend from age 3 years. I have some photos of nursery children from that time. Were you there then? I also have a note of the new starters in Jan and December 1969. In those times children did have an afternoon nap, on canvas beds each with a little blanket. Aaah!

I remember nursery but don't know which one,shame Alison cc not posting,can remember a infant school on ryland cresent but don't think anyone else ever mentioned it,it was opposite the crescent pub think I went there.

Not sure whether this is actually the earliest, but I have a distinct memory of going to Cornwall on holiday by train when I was just turned 2. This would be May 1951 - I remember sitting with my mum and dad, squashed in a very full compartment on the night train to Bristol, that left Derby about 1 o' clock in the morning. I was fascinated by a little brown dog that was sitting quietly in a basket up aloft on the luggage rack opposite.

Vintageann, I knew someone who worked at Bosworth road nursery about that time, I must send you a pm with the details, would be nice to be in touch again after all these years

Rog

• Upvote 1

One of my ealiest memories was going to Rhyl when i was about 3, think we went every year until i was 12 or 13, caught the train at Midland station and seem to remember it stopping at Crewe,then seeing the mountains of North Wales,and towards the end of the journey the train ran along the coast,finally arriving in Rhyl........Once there i remember all the Barrow lads' vieing to take your luggage to the same 'Boarding house' on Wellington rd run by a mrs Saville,it was like another world back then in the 50s.

Sadly the Rhyl of today is not anything like those far off halcyon days.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Even earlier memory than above was when i was 2 in 1947,we moved from my Grandma's on Leybourne drive to the next street on Bestwood estate Andover road,i was in my pushchair going down Hove road behind my Dad who was carrying a huge Radio,i even remember the mans name he bought it off Mr.Rimmington,and it must have been around the same time i recall my Uncle Bill hammering new lino down on the landing,brown squared pattern it was.

An early memory was having to live upstairs when the Trent flooded our house in 1947. Food was delivered by boat - would it have been the Red Cross?

There was no water laid on upstairs so water must have been delivered I suppose. I remember seeing swans swimming along the yard.

I have no memory of how we managed for toilets! Perhaps as well - -

There must have been a terrible mess to clear up when the water went down but nobody was moved out, I don`t think. And the space under the floorboards must have been full of water as well.

• Upvote 1

A couple of my early memories: laying on the obscured glass grates on Peacheys st.staring through holes at the weightlifters in the basement of the YMCA, eating bar six chocolate on Vic station.

Love all the memories

Mine is being sat on my mums knee with the steam kettle

boiling to create steam for my asthma- thankfully I only had it

until I was five when we moved from Bingham to Nottingham

• Upvote 1