jumped out of her bedroom window & killed herself. It had such an

devastating impact on myself & something I have never forgotten

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate of mine was working on chimneys there...they had steel sheets on the roof in case of accidents...didn't want bricks falling through the roof...they were wired together on the apex of the roof....

I have no idea how old I was, but as far back as I remember we used to pick nettle flowers and suck the sweet nectar from them. Well at least that's what I think it was! Never gave it a thought as to

My granddad was a train driver at Middle Furlong Road sheds. I remember being taken to meet him at the entrance to the sheds when I was quite young. An engine let off steam and I legged it down Middle

#48 Carni. I've just read through some of these older posts and found yours about sucking nectar out of nettle flowers. I used to do that with huge purple clover flowers at the edge of the brickyard near our house. They really were sweet. Sometimes I used to make clover chains as well - didn't make them like daisy chains, which were made by poking one stalk through the previous one; I wrapped the long stalk round the previous one so the flowers ended up very close together. Never seen such big clover flowers since - it must have been the clay soil or the fact that the grass was never cut?

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

earliest memory is emery road Gedling bungalows, names to remember Scott, Deborah, Lorraine ,Yvonne tailor , feeding the horses in the field on the corner of the railway

also feeding the donkey behind the pub on Carlton hill close to the police station, the post office at the bottom of Gladstone street Carlton, and strangely my first head teacher at infant school Mrs johnson, my first day at school she had one of those Russian dolls that come apart to reveal another smaller doll inside the last one had a smarty in it , and the small bottles of milk they used to give us to drink .

The school in the other playground headteacher was Mr wines .

amazing what one can remember .

I can remember back to when I was about 2years old ,not such good memories.But when I was about 5 I can remember sitting on my dads knee in his car and he let me steer the car,I thought I was really driving,but I can't think where it was but I reckon it was a disused airfield(at least I hope it was)

• 3 weeks later...

My earliest memories are of tripping over near the butchers that used to be on Beauvale Road in the Meadows (or perhaps one of the roads that was parallel) and I fell mouth first on to the curb and did serious damage to my face and mouth. The butcher came running out to help my mum and took me inside where I spent a fair amount of time being cleaned up. I think seeing the butchered meat in the back room shocked me into being quite calm.

I also recall my grandad taking me down Beauvale towards the embankment. I was on a small kids bike and he pulled me along with rope tied around the handle bars. When we finally reached the embankment I insisted on having ice cream despite the weather not being great.

With both memories, I must have been around three or four. I grew up on both Bathley and Beauvale but then moved across the river around the age of five.

• 5 months later...

I remember being dragged out of bed to watch sputnik going overhead, I must have been about three, everyone was exited, cant remember seeing it though. I remember my first day at school (Gotham infants) not impressed at all, lol..

Just reading the book `Spacewalker' by the astronaut Jerry Ross, who went into space seven times and held the record for the most space walks for a long time (7).

I was fortunate to meet him at a conference at Eastwood Hall in 2004 and in his book he mentions seeing the worlds first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1 fly over on October 4th 1957.

I also remember as a 10 year old standing in my neighbours garden and at the appointed time seeing this piece of space history fly over. All my life I've remained fascinated with space and regularly watch the International Space Station fly over and recall that moment long ago. I was pleased to see other people on Nottstalgia recall this event also.

Some of my earliest memories are street based,a lovely black man called Bob worked at Victoria Station,he was always immaculate in his uniform.. when he walked past our gang of kids.. he would throw a handful of coppers to the ground.. we would scramble for the coins..I will never forget his fantastic smile!!

A Rover 90 parked on Skynner st.everyday, the driver used one of those wicker back rests..we 'minded' his two- tone car..in return he would give us comics like The Topper,or The Wizard.Tar bombs,Tizer and Triang were the norm.