Low temperature laundry.

most of us are old enough to remember how our mums gradma wash in the olden days no washing machines by hand or in the dolly tub with a ponch hence whites mainly cotton in them days went in first in the hot water first by the time you had done that water was getting cooler so in went your light couors followed by dark water by then nearly cold so in with the woolies then it was put through the mangle to get out as much water as you could then out on the line to dry as long as it was a dry day ifit was wet it would be put on the big cloths horses or the ones that came down on rope from the celing and round the fires on the big iron fire gards and most people had even if they did not have kids we are all still hear to tell the tales om our mums washday.

ill say no more except it was a very long day for them next day was the ironing this of course was on top of the other household chores and cooking this was why we always had stew on washday prepared before the washing was done and put on the hot plate at the side of the fire were it cooked away all day long .

• Upvote 2

We always wash in cold water, clothes get hung outside on the line to dry, been doing it that way for many years now, our ancesters washed their furs in the stream or river, beat them with rocks to wash them.......Wonder if beating with rocks will kill the germs....LOL

No but it will give the bugs a head ache. girlvboy

Piggy and Babs, after the woolens were taken out of the tub it was my turn to go in for a good scrub up (guess I would be about 3 years old at the time) until one day my gran left the gas on and it nearly boiled me, thanks for bringing back the memories of the dolly tub

Rog

• 4 months later...

Talking at work t'other day & the only ones (apart from me) who wash in cold water are the Australians & New Zealands, "we always wash in cold water back home" they trilled "& our clothes are clean enough!" True they are, so cold washing for me..

I first came across cold water washing in southern Africa - where it is also the norm. Even the washing powder there stated "cold water wash". I think modern detergents are just as capable in cold water as hot, and we tend to wash our clothes more often than back when I was a kid. I think our clothes don't even get as dirty since most places are smoke-free and the smog has been dealt with too. So - I wash with cold water too - from time-to-time I will do a load of whites with bleach in hot water, but that's it!

Of course, washing machines have changed a little too!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Aldi is coming to Arizona later this year, with a store about 10 mins away in my neck of the woods. We are in California right now and have an Aldi near us. They have some great deals, will look out for the laundry detergent. That is, assuming some things will be the same on both sides of the pond!

• Like 1