What sort of wildlife visits your garden?

On 9/6/2018 at 5:14 PM, LizzieM said:

No idea Margie. Roger was the first to spot one of them, hopping across the lawn in the snow, leaving a tell-tale line in the virgin snow, created by the tail,   He was on a phone call and told the other person he’d just seen a kangaroo in his garden.  The chap thought he’d lost his marbles!  When I’d witnessed it I rang Whipsnade Zoo a few miles away and enquired if they’d lost a wallaby, they said they hadn’t. Then we saw two hopping around together.   A friend in the local pub told us he’d been driving by our house one night and was overtaken by a kangaroo, well they ARE similar.  Don’t know what became of them as we moved to Nottingham a few months later.  

I’ve got a photo somewhere, I’ll try to find it. 

Here’s the photo of one of the wallabies we had living in our wood.  Had to zoom in and it’s a bit blurred as I couldn’t get too close, he was a nervous creature.   

48409_C26-6_ED3-4_EDE-_AFD7-_D3570880_FE

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I had a marvellous surprise last night. I've had neighbours cats activate the outside security lights, as have foxes. I have seen hedgehogs and squirrels too, but last  night was exceptional. I o

Ian  When I first got married and first visited Ireland it was Holy Week and I would have to trapse around with my mother in law visiting relatives as many, as 4 different families a day for an e

Here you are Mary. They come to visit me every day. You have to creep up very quietly, if they spot you....they disappear into the undergrowth.  

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Well beggar me. I only said a few weeks ago that I hadn't seen any ladybirds this summer. Well whilst mowing the lawn, then raking out summer debris, then re mowing, I saw three small ones. Two normal red ones. One on the water butt, and the other on the greenhouse door. Then blow me, whilst putting the mower away, there was a yellow one with white spots on the shed window ledge !

Also, several butterflies about too.

Definately a strange summer ! 

Yes we're having some fantastic weather too but its bringing indoors all sorts of bugs.Flies get swatted as I can't stand them in the house , wasps I shoo them out, they don't always obey though.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magpies, Lorikeets, Rosellas, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and Possums! The birds are lovely but the Possums are a real nuisance.

They eat every thing in the garden and they run over the roof at night time. It sounds like a heard of elephants and if they get into the roof space

they are a real problem. For some stupid reason they are protected (unlike in New Zealand where they hunt them and use them to make clothing).

7 hours ago, Radford Boy said:

Possums are a real nuisance

I agree RB they are a bl**dy nuisance, they pee everywhere and use scent glands to mark their territories.

If you trap them you are supposed to release them within 150 metres of where they were caught. If I could have caught the ones that played football on my garage roof at  2:00am they would have needed a train ticket to get home.

We had a koala that regularly came to visit the garden and the first time you hear a male koala grunt when he is looking for a mate it sounds like he is belching.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

I agree RB they are a bl**dy nuisance, they pee everywhere and use scent glands to mark their territories.

Hmmm. Sounds just like home sapiens. They're a Bl**dy nuisance, too!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Been emptying  out a compost bin today, and digging it in to a raised bed. Then an afternoon on the patio reading. 

However, in for dinner now, but madam shouted that there's a dead rat on the lawn. No, there's no rats since next door demolished their old shed. It's a hedgehog then ! What at 6pm I said. It's a dog turd then. Rubbish I said.  Next she said its a dead blackbird. Finally, I got up to investigate.

Well we'd had the washing out today, and I'd recently brought the umbrella type clothes line in. What was it then ? Not a bird, rat, hedgehog, or even a turd......... It was a core of damp soil that had come out with the line support tube, and slid out when I removed it ! 

Funnily enough Jill, she only had an appointment reminder last week. LOL

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...