What sort of wildlife visits your garden?

ridding a snake: .. handy tip No. 1.

the knack is.. wait till the blighter is off it's guard, then hit it with the item as shown below..

usually one strike is enough to stun the beastie, and should give you enough time to bag it up and put it out for the binman.

post-34-1140021450_thumb.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I had a marvellous surprise last night. I've had neighbours cats activate the outside security lights, as have foxes. I have seen hedgehogs and squirrels too, but last  night was exceptional. I o

Ian  When I first got married and first visited Ireland it was Holy Week and I would have to trapse around with my mother in law visiting relatives as many, as 4 different families a day for an e

Here you are Mary. They come to visit me every day. You have to creep up very quietly, if they spot you....they disappear into the undergrowth.  

Posted Images

It looks like 1 of those old fashioned enema thingies to me. :(

Handy tip no 2. Find a rattle snake,poke it with a long stick till it's angry+ready to strike then shoot at it.The snake will strike for the bullet...bullet will enter mouth and blow it's head off.

This was told to me by an American friend about his childhood. There was a bounty on these snakes as there was too many of them.He would cut the rattles off,take them to the police +get a reward,then sell the rest to the local Indians who made things with the skins.

• 2 weeks later...
Coaster Posted on Feb 17 2006, 06:19 PM

We have at least four different ones visit and one of them plays with the dog.

;) What! Hide and go Seek?

;) Don't reckon much to his camouflage.....does Rick steirn know you have kidnapped is dog...by the look of him he's come off the diet then ?....LOL

thank goodness i've got new battery's in me spell checker, Camaflaughe....

140x90_rickstein.jpg

Well we get frogs etc but I am fed up with cats! They just wander over the fence whenever they like, do their mess and then stroll back! I don't like cats and have tried all sorts of methods to rid them from my garden!

Any suggestions?

slywink

Moth balls along the front and back of the bed about 3 feet apart. The ammonia smell deters them and is harmless to most everything living in the bed .

I'm told chili powder also works.

If that fails shoot the little ............... BANG

B0002U3RC6.01-AVR522F35FP9Z._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

!rulez! Try rat poison, it worked for the squirral i had in me loft..Wilko's sell it...

As the keeper of a cat, I feel I must jump to the defence of the fluffy creatures.thus..

they have as much right to exist on this planet as we the noble human race.. with regard to the sh4tting in one's garden, well it's only natural ingredients, and they at least have the courtesy to bury it, and don't forget, no one actually owns their plot of land, it's only on loan for three score years and ten..

with regard to the chasing of birds or mice this is a merely a suvival instinct, unlike us the human race who chase and kill for sport, greed, and hate.

now If anybody was to harm my cat, and the culprit was known then I would 100% guarantee the person responsible would rue his or her action to the utmost. inasmuch the the device used to maim or torture the animal would be inserted into their rectal passage in such a fashion, that for the next decade it would see them having to be pushed around in a bathchair, with strategically placed cushions about their personage in which to ease the pain.

Of course this is all tongue in cheek, and I would never do such a thing, just as those who say they would shoot and poison the animal would never do the same, but nevertheless it doesn't harm to throw a few hypothesi into the air and see where they land!

best regds.

• Upvote 1

:tease: Thanks ilko for that, i will have to make sure that i dispose of the remainder [rat poison] in a adult and caring way..

sod this, how do you spell inviramental....

Oooer! seems I have sparked something off here!

I vow never to use rat poison on the cats, promise, and will stick to the opening the back door and shouting gerroff. If they stare me out then I will chase them up the garden! phew! (the poison sounded easier) NO don't mean that.

Oh well at least I will get fit doing it. smile2

:tease: Thanks ilko for that, i will have to make sure that i dispose of the remainder [rat poison] in a adult and caring way..

sod this, how do you spell inviramental....

Environmental? Hows that old son;)

Just to upset the cat lovers, we get feral cats around here, I use the lead poisoning method as it's environmentally friendly, a .22 round usually rids us of the problem.

IF city folks weren't so heartless as to dump their unwanted pets out here in the country, we wouldn't have this problem.

Just to upset the cat lovers, we get feral cats around here, I use the lead poisoning method as it's environmentally friendly, a .22 round usually rids us of the problem..

We have a similar type of problem down here in st Ann's.. the difference being, one or two vermin get shot and the whole town is up in arms complaining.. if only we would adopt the good old yankee way of doing things, the world would be a much better place!

• 7 years later...

Despite rain for over a week now, the birds still visit for a good feed. We currently have three bird houses and twelve feeders and they are in constant use. I don't know whether they are fattening up in readiness for a bad winter, but it's costing me a fortune for peanuts, pellets and sunflower seeds and hearts. Thank goodness for Wilkinsons in Bulwell, good choice of products and reasonably priced.

Birds seen in the garden today include wood pigeons, collared doves, blackbirds, dunnocks, sparrows, blue tits, grey tits, great tits, robins and a magpie. Even in a dense and congested area like Basford, there are some pleasant sights to behold.

Well the Ground Hogs must have gone into hibernation for the winter, one less pest, birds a plenty and the Northern Cardinals are gregarious once more now nesting season is over, no more males fighting over territory.

Crows , Rooks, Jackdaws and Magpies even had a pair of Ravens attempting to build in one of the trees !Green and Gold Finches on the feeders, along with Blue, Great and Coal Tits , Pied Wagtails , Wood Pigeons , Collared Doves, Buzzards overhead, a Sparrow Hawk having his dinner, Sparrows , Starlings, Dunnock, we even had an escaped Zebra Finch once!

As for animals:- We have Squirrels passing through, the odd Hedgehog, Frogs (Regardless of the fact we have no discernible water supply) there's also a pair of Lop eared Rabbits to be found and for some strange reason a large heard of Wildebeest are sometimes to be found lurking around the herbaceous border.

Wow, a 7 1/2 yr bump! Normally we get deer in our garden, just about every day, lots of birds, squirrels of course, and sometimes, elk, wild turkeys, havalinas etc. Now we are 'down sahf' for the winter it's bunny rabbits, quail and a few other birds. Apparently coyotes and bob cats roam the area, not seen any yet. I am definitely keeping my kitties indoors down here.

It's coyotes that probably had my last two cats for dinner.... I did find some Cougar scat last year, several confirmed sightings of the cat including a hunters remote video camera....

Was warned by one of my neighbours of a Bobcat family, plenty of bunnies, chipmunks, rats mice, moles and voles, we are in bear country, but none have been sighted locally for many years, white tailed deer as common as muck..

Flamin' slugs and snails munching everything in sight. My missis puts all leftovers out and it all goes. She put a huge chunk of leftover meat out one day and a Magpie nearly hit a tree trying to take off with it in its beak.

We live in a very built up area so our wildlife is pretty limited. There have been a few nice surprises though. One hot summer night about 10yrs ago around 11pm, i was sitting by the open patio doors, i had thrown some sausage rolls outside for the morning birds and when I looked up from my book and no more than 4ft away from me; side by side was a fox and a hedgehog eating together, i don't know who was more surprised, me or the fox, it just turned and scurried off up the garden.When we had the fruit trees we were visited by a woodpecker, just once. The foxes and squirrels come in occasionally. We have: Magpies; Thrushes; Sparrows; Wrens; Blackbirds; Green Finches; Pigeons and always we have Robins. Dragon Flies and all the usual Butterflies and Lady Birds. I am sure i have forgotten some, but after listing them i realise we don't do to bad after all. :) Luverley Jubberley

:biggrin: I think I have a fox or a squirrel visiting my back garden: yesterday morning whilst collecting the windfall apples and pears, I noticed a fair sized bite in one of the conference pears; just a bite that's all, I'm assuming the animal wasn't fond of the taste - must be good when we can pick and choose! :biggrin:

Along with all the birds we feed - sparrows, goldfinches, and the ubiquitous pigeons, we have a squirrel who visits every day to try to crack the bird-feeders.

It doesn't stay very long as the dog hates tree-rats and always chases it off. :)

A sparrowhawk until I moved the bird table out of his direct line of fire! Regulars there are a host of goldfinches, sparrows, dunnocks, green finches, great and blue tits and a regular visit a couple of times a day from Mr and Mrs Greater Spotted Woodpecker! Blackbirds and thrushes for the apple fallings. Have a couple of suicidal crows who launch themselves at one of the bedroom windows each morning and occasionally a squirrel passes through the garden. Caught him trying to get to the peanuts on the feeder last year.