Caz

What sort of wildlife visits your garden?

Only joking !

19 minutes ago, MargieH said:

How many 'tribes?"  of wallabies are there in Britain, I wonder.   I know there were some in Derbyshire many years ago.

No idea Margie. Roger was the first to spot one of them, hopping across the lawn in the snow, leaving a tell-tale line in the virgin snow, created by the tail,   He was on a phone call and told the other person he’d just seen a kangaroo in his garden.  The chap thought he’d lost his marbles!  When I’d witnessed it I rang Whipsnade Zoo a few miles away and enquired if they’d lost a wallaby, they said they hadn’t. Then we saw two hopping around together.   A friend in the local pub told us he’d been driving by our house one night and was overtaken by a kangaroo, well they ARE similar.  Don’t know what became of them as we moved to Nottingham a few months later.  

I’ve got a photo somewhere, I’ll try to find it. 

• Like 2

I thought it was the STORK that bought babies Ian  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

Rog..funny you say that..herself was on the phone to Nottm..lets out a shout..

"Stork on the lawn!"..i sneaked out..gone..just a few feathers.

• Like 1

No, not a stork, I heard it was an old shag from Skeggy that brought babies !

• Like 1

I think that due to the long warm summer, birds have been having a second brood. Just sitting in the garden this afternoon, I saw 6 long tailed tits feeding together, on suet balls and sunflower seeds, then within minutes, a large group of young tits (can I still say that?) fed at the same place. All week, there has been a city pigeon with a solitary youngster on the lawn feeding on dropped seeds.

Long may it continue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2018 at 5:14 PM, LizzieM said:

No idea Margie. Roger was the first to spot one of them, hopping across the lawn in the snow, leaving a tell-tale line in the virgin snow, created by the tail,   He was on a phone call and told the other person he’d just seen a kangaroo in his garden.  The chap thought he’d lost his marbles!  When I’d witnessed it I rang Whipsnade Zoo a few miles away and enquired if they’d lost a wallaby, they said they hadn’t. Then we saw two hopping around together.   A friend in the local pub told us he’d been driving by our house one night and was overtaken by a kangaroo, well they ARE similar.  Don’t know what became of them as we moved to Nottingham a few months later.  

I’ve got a photo somewhere, I’ll try to find it. 

Here’s the photo of one of the wallabies we had living in our wood.  Had to zoom in and it’s a bit blurred as I couldn’t get too close, he was a nervous creature.   

48409_C26-6_ED3-4_EDE-_AFD7-_D3570880_FE

• Like 2

Kangaroo medium/rare and a few glasses of shiraz.

Being "On the Wallaby" means wandering around looking for work, I wonder if that is what he/she is doing?

Size comparison - Kangaroo on the left Wallaby on the right

Kangaroos and wallabies differ in several ways. See more pictures of marsupials.