• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

thank you for all the welcoming thanks you guys, wonder if anyone remembers Arboretum school, i went there whilst living at 137 wigman road, caught the no 13 bus at Freemount Drive and got off at Raleigh St. Alfreton Road.

Also can anyone remember the caretaker lived in the house at side of Glenbrook school gate, in the 50s my mum was a cleaner at the infants school.

Ey Up and Welcome to The Forum Terence, there are a few Bilboro'ites on here and no doubt they'll be along shortly. Have a good browse through the present and historical threads, there are more than enough to interest you.

Hi Terence, I never went to the Arboretum school, but I had a cousin who did - he suffered from cystic fibrosis, and if I remember rightly Arboretum was a "special school" - mainly for kids with various forms of disability wasn't it? He was born in 1944, and at first he (and his parents - my aunt and uncle) lived on Melford Road. Later they moved next door to us in a prefab on Aslockton Drive, Aspley. He and varioius others were transported door to door to and from school in a rather impressive car - in fact I think it was one of the city council official cars driven by one of their chauffeurs, though I may be mistaken there. He subsequently passed his 11 plus from Arboretum and went on to High Pavement.

Welcome Terrence and have fun.

Now then Blondie. A few names have rang a bell DING DONG!! I knew Bernard Brindley who lived with several brothers and sisters at around 92 or 94 Melford Road. He was associated with my friend (who I lost contact with years ago) Anthony Broughton. I briefly had contact with Bernard again in the 1990s but haven't seen him since. There was also a Jimmy Bridley and I remember younger sister Avis who was at Bilborough Grammar School. A nice lass but a bit of a torment. I remember Lorraine Sharpe. I didn't really know her but she was in the year below me at Bilborough Grammar School.

OK back to Terrence. My mum and Dad are both deceased so I can't ask them, and we moved when I was only two. I remember a man called Alf Allen who lived nearby. He was a joiner by trade like my Dad. There was also a woman who lived nearby who owned a very well trained Alsation dog called Guilder. This dog, I am told, saved my life when I was a toddler by preventing me from running onto Wigman Road when the Milkman left the gate open.

• Upvote 1

hi stephenford, yes it was a special school we had lessons in the morning then rested on beds in the afternoon, i remember a special bus taking us home in the evening but i got the 13 bus in the morning, seem to remember one winter it was that foggy i lost my way.

bilbraborn, Alf Allens name was Claude Albert Allen married to Grace mary Allen father of Olive Allen and my father Terence Allen, he was a joiner, worked on victoria centre when being built, also worked on littlewoods store after the site was The Black Boy and worked on Queens medical. do you remember mr George Palmer worked as a bus conductor on the 56 and 60 route in the 50s. And Guilder you just made me cry.

Terrence, can you remember Guilder? I only have vague memories. You may also have come round to our place to watch the coronation. Remember I was only two years old when we moved to 69. Something else nearby saved my life a few years later. Believe it or not it was the lamppost on the corner of the narrow part (round the green) of Bracebridge Drive and Wigman Road. When I was learning to ride a two-wheeler bike, I was coming from Bracebridge shops with my dad when I lost control and went careering towards Wigman Road and a double decker bus. I hit the lamppost instead or I would have gone under the bus. Amazing what you can remember.

Somewhere in a biscuit tin or where-ever I have a photo of me and my mum in the garden at 135 Wigman Road.

Bilbraborn - Yes you have the right Brindley family......I think Pat was the eldest, we worked together in the 1960's..........Lost touch with her in the 70's.......She married a guy in Insurance, who was her brother's friend............they moved around the Country with her husband's job, forgot her married name............Lorraine Sharp was our friend Christine's younger sister, she married Barry Clifford, they got divorced..........Not seen her for a long time, she moved to Chesterfield .......Christine married Rob Barnes, who was a friend of my hubby, they emigrated to New Zealand in the 1980's.............I also knew Jane Rippon from Bilborough who sadly passed away a couple of years ago...............I knew these people when I grew up as I came from Hucknall originally..........

Ayup Blondie. I knew Barry Clifford and his brother Colin. Not well but knew them from Glenbrook infant school. (and maybe juniors).

Terrence my brother phoned last night (he lives in Oakham Rutland). He confirmed Mrs Allen had a special item of footware. I wouldn't remember. I was only two years old.

Bilbraborn - Barry married Lorraine Sharp in 1971 they had 2 children Joanne and Matthew, but divorced later........Not seen either of them for years, Lorraine remarried twice, I think and was living in Chesterfield....................I believe, Barry passed away with Leaukemia...............

bilbraborn, know the lampost well, remember the telephone box bottom of bracebridge, button A button B, 3 penny's a call, i was about 7 years old and some lad from burnside somewhere stole my pistol and rode off on his bike, i was about 11 years old when we left wigman, went to live on frinton road broxtowe, also went to Player sec mod school detested every day, and yes we did come to watch the coronation didnt have a telly till 1957

bilbraborn, know the lampost well, remember the telephone box bottom of bracebridge, button A button B, 3 penny's a call, i was about 7 years old and some lad from burnside somewhere stole my pistol and rode off on his bike, i was about 11 years old when we left wigman, went to live on frinton road broxtowe, also went to Player sec mod school detested every day, and yes we did come to watch the coronation didnt have a telly till 1957

What years did you attend there ? I was incarceraed there from 63 - 67.

I know someone who went there in the 1950's, he was called David Swift and Jane Rippon attended there in the 1960's.............

karlton, i was in players seniors from 1956 till 1960, Mr Inskeep form teacher, Mr Gallagher headmaster,

my sister also went to players senior girls in the 50s & 60s Olive Allen her name

Do not know what BGS means - his name was David Swift, was/is a big guy he lived on Coleby Road and was related to Wally Swift, the Nottinghan Boxer- He did not play football............