Yes he was. I was in Clumber and we were kept in house-classes in the first year. I was unlucky. My form teacher was Lois Louden. What a start to a new school. Was you in Welbeck with Miss Cherry?

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

I certainly was, pretty and pleasant enough, but could be a bit snide, you messed with her at your peril. 2G, Miss Lezemore, she was lovely, but you didn't muck her about either. Then I think it was Mr Davey from 3G to 5G, he was a great bloke and easy to wind up, at first.....

6B and 7B, Mr Whitfield, many kids didn't like him at all because of his sarcasm and touch of arrogance, I got on with him fine, I recall at a 6th form parents evening my old man, as he would, told him to give me a good thumping if I got out of line, and that he would support his actions. Whitfield told me about it the next day, he couldn't stop laughing and promised never to lay a finger on me, he never did.

Come on Pete. I would have preferred Miss Cherry any day to Miss flippin' Louden. She was just so depressing. Later I had Miss Scott and also Miss Skedge.

• Upvote 1

Raybo (#252), babs had misspelt Clive's surname. The family name was Hodgson, not Hogkinson as stated. Clive is a real Rock & Roller and does have long sideburns. I've put the photo on to see if you recognise him.

1979 TV Documentary 'England Their England' featuring workers from Raleigh Cycle Factory Nottingham. Clive Hodgson Roll And Roll DJ, playing at the 'Cocked Hat' pub.

• 3 weeks later...

Catfan, Do you remember the Wesley's from Darnhall Crescent or the Chambers from Melbury Road? Do you remember the cold milk vending machine outside the co-op on Bracebridge Drive? I don't know why l should remember that maybe it was a novelty at the time. Did you ever play in the sandy banks, top end of Bilborough?

Robbie, we left Darnhall Crescent when I was 4 years old, I do remember Sandy Banks though !

There was a cave in the bank about twenty feet above ground, as a young lad I felt great the first time I managed to climb up there, problem was getting back down !

I had a mate on Darnhall Crescent when I was at Glenbrook Junior School (1957 to 1961). His name was Alan Camplin. I remember us walking all the way to Strelley Village one day singing 'Old MacDonald'.

I lived on Melbury Road but don't remember a family called Chambers. When would this have been, roughly? I lived there from about 1964 ( but was only young, then!)

Hi annswabey, The Chambers family are still living there, close to Darnhall Crescent and would have been there during the time period you mentioned. But Melbury Road is a very long road.

sorry radford red you right for anybody who know clive and his brothers his brother steve sadly passed away on saturday after a long battle with cancer

Welcome Terrence and have fun.

Now then Blondie. A few names have rang a bell DING DONG!! I knew Bernard Brindley who lived with several brothers and sisters at around 92 or 94 Melford Road. He was associated with my friend (who I lost contact with years ago) Anthony Broughton. I briefly had contact with Bernard again in the 1990s but haven't seen him since. There was also a Jimmy Bridley and I remember younger sister Avis who was at Bilborough Grammar School. A nice lass but a bit of a torment. I remember Lorraine Sharpe. I didn't really know her but she was in the year below me at Bilborough Grammar School.

OK back to Terrence. My mum and Dad are both deceased so I can't ask them, and we moved when I was only two. I remember a man called Alf Allen who lived nearby. He was a joiner by trade like my Dad. There was also a woman who lived nearby who owned a very well trained Alsation dog called Guilder. This dog, I am told, saved my life when I was a toddler by preventing me from running onto Wigman Road when the Milkman left the gate open.

I was at Notts AC with a Lorraine Sharpe........

• 1 month later...

The Mr Wombwell who taught chemistry at at Bilborough GS was a small guy with blonde hair. He was there in 1964 and 1965. Mr Yarnell was the head of Physics at BGS in 1966. When I went to him to sign up for A level physics he refused because I was not doing A level maths. I insisted so he put my name on the list and said I would never pass physics. I passed and every time I have taught physics I think "proved you wrong Mr Yarnell"!

• Upvote 1

BilboroughShirley, # 315

We had a Chemistry teacher at Carlton-le-Willows GS called Mr Wombwell. Unusual name so it was probably the same chap, he was short, slim and blond too. Can't remember him moving on but I left school in 1966.

Bilborough Shirley I was alao taught Chemistry by Mr Wombwell and Physics by Mr Yarnell at Bilborough Grammar School . The latter was still there when my son was at the same premises which by then had become Bilborough College. His younger daughter (my lovely grand daughter) is at the New Bilborough College. Oh by the way Shirley, as Mr Wombwell was only there for such a short time, You must have been there at the same time as I was.

Mr Wombwell taught our group for GCE O-level and I am sure it was in his lesson that the conversion of alcohol to acetic acid blew up! I was proud of the green stains on my uniform skirt! Scars of battle! Parents today would make such a fuss about this. When I got into the 6th form chemistry class we had a couple of our own explosions. The downstairs chemistry lab had a green stain on the ceiling and upstairs we did a blue one as a result of the practicals we did. Started a fashion for lab coats! In the second year Mr Tebbutt sprayed us with water from the lift pump in physics. Mr Bristow was our physics teacher in the 6th form. I remember the downstairs lab filled with smoke when I accidentally connected the batteries in series. Science was great fun then and not bound up with health and safety regulations! I was there from September 1961 to July 1968. In 1972 I moved away from Nottingham. I discovered this site just a few days ago and I am completely hooked! It is so good to hear about my home city and connect with people.

• Upvote 2

Have you read the Bilborough Grammar School thread on here Shirley, it might bring back a few memories for you. Clearly you were in the year above Bilbraborn and I, you must have been in the 7th form when I was the 6th, being such a small 6th form, we must have known each other.

With regard to Mr Wombwell we were told at the time that he had briefly played proffesional football for Barnsley FC. If the weather was so bad, ie the ground was so frozen it was too dangerous to play rugby, we were made to play football instead ( never saw the rationale in that ).

If he wasn't teaching physics Mr Wombwell enthusiastically joined in, he never said much but was clearly a class above everyone else at the game.

So you were in the year below me and Firbeck Shirley. We used to knock around with some of the lads and lasses from that year but can't remember anyone called Shirley. You probably did well not to get mixed up with our crowd. We were always up to something.

So you were in the year below me and Firbeck Shirley. We used to knock around with some of the lads and lasses from that year but can't remember anyone called Shirley. You probably did well not to get mixed up with our crowd. We were always up to something.

I think you'll find she was in the year above us mate.

Sorry Pete I was looking at the wrong end of the dates. I can't remember any Shirleys to tell the truth. (Mind you I can't remember much at all these days). Tell you what Pete, a mate of mine has a lot of connection to Philip Soar (yes that Philip Soar) who was a member of our Railway Society at BGS.

Hi Bilbraborn and firbek,

It is great to see your replies. In my third year I was in Mr Crompton's form. He was a great English teacher and he introduced us to science fiction. I loved that. English literature is the only exam I failed! The books we had to read for the exam were deadly, though going to see Judy Dench in Saint Joan at Nottingham Playhouse was quite good. I much prefer the works of Spike Milligan! Mr Crompton left at the end of that year and he went to Clifton Hall Grammar School. A good friend of mine went there and she said he was a popular teacher.

I have found the BGS thread on the site and it is really interesting. In fact there are so many interesting threads that I am becoming totally hooked. Big thanks to everyone who contributes.

• Upvote 2