• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

Born in a prefab in 51 in me mams bedroom at 135 Wigman Rd. As a family, we all moved when I was 2 to a steel topped 3 bedroom further down Wigman Rd where my dad still lives (aged 92). I don't know about the names mentioned by Trevor S but if Trevor S is half of twins I knew you both. I went to Glenbrook infants and junior then Bilborough Grammar. Two of my Grandkids go to Glenbrook primary prompting me to write what it was like growing up in Bilborough and attending the same school. I hope they may read it later on in life. After two generations it just seems like a different planet. My mates were Roy Hudson, Bob Catchpole, Pete Hopewell and others. We played on the Glaisdale Drive woods and watched them build the industrial units. We also played down the canal and annoyed the signalman near old coach road train bridge. I could go on for hours but I have to go to work.

Sorry, not a twin and never lived in Bilborough..

Did spend a lot of time playing on the waste grounds across from Glaisdale Drive and further on along the old canal. That was in the mid to late 50s before Birds Eye was built. Surprised you did not know Geoff or John Allison.

You were close to me then! I lived in a prefab on Glenbrook Crescent then when I was 8, moved to Melbury Road. I also went to Glenbrook and Bilborough Grammar although I'm about 5 years younger than you and don't recognise any of the names you've mentioned.

Trevor S. They were not waste grounds they were our adventure playground (ha ha) before such things were invented. We played in the dyke, on old coach bridge. Collected train numbers, fished for taddys in the canal and got a clout off mam for coming home stinking like a canal. Then they built SPD and Heinz and all the rest so it's now all a memory. I watched them build Bilborough Park and the stadium.

Annswabey, I had friends on Melbury Rd and also Melford. Did you know any of the Brindleys? By the way, my son now lives on Melbury Rd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 Wigman Rd. That was nearly opposite Wellers or probably Chromoworks. Was it up an alleyway? I used to play around 'Tin Bridge' on Woodyard Lane. OOPs! I've just realised I can remember the dismal wail of the saws at Brown's Woodyard and that has been gone years. We used to slide down the bank on our backsides and get our trousers covered in dust. That earned me another clout off me mam. Then she got covered in a cloud of dust.

There was a big house near where the canal used to cross Woodyard Lane. It had an orchard so we used to go and test the fruit. You know! Just to make sure it tasted OK. When they demolished the house there was a bit of wasteland there until they built the Electricity place. One bonfire night, someone used it to have a firework display. They came with a few tea chests full of fireworks. It was great until a jumping Jack went into one of the chests then all hell broke loose. Rockets flying everywhere and bangers going off like mad. We all just hit the deck until it stopped. We kids just laughed it all off. If that happened today there would probably be an inquest, a public enquiry and a post mortem all in one.

By the way dgbrit. We have motor racing here in Nottingham. All the big housing estates have them (LOL)

• Upvote 1

only my third time Moved from Wigman rd to the first house up to the tin bridge off the island to the left not the two new houses but the ones that back gardens were off Elstree dr
We used to call the bit of land where the new houses were Little Woods.

As for motor racing I went & ran the indoor Karts last week & was 7th fastest for the week going again thurs . Going to improve as it was only the third time I have ran them.

Catfan, how many times was I dragged up to those shops when I was little. Co-op regular destination. By the way, do you get your hair cut at the barbers on corner of Henrietta St?

Annswabey. I Knew Pete Maltby at the Strelley end of Melbury Rd. How about Tony Broughton at the far end of Melford Rd. Tony Marriot of Melford Rd was in my class at Grammar School.

Ayup Dgbrit. You wanna see my dad on his scooter. Seriously, he is 92 and still thinks he is powering up the M1. They would never let me near a Kart. I would end up killing my self.

Teachers at BGS. Seeing as you were there 5 years after me I would be going out as you were coming in. Try Mr Protherough, Mr Williams, Miss Butler, Mr Stone (art), Mr Yarnell (Physics), Mr Wombwell (chemistry), Mr Kirton (Metalwark), Mr Jacobs (English), Miss Scott (French), Miss Skedge (English), Mr Robinson (chemistry) and another Mr Robinson (games). Dave Gingell was our Biology teacher. Guess what, They have built houses on my old rugby pitch. What sacrilege!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Remember the Gypsies that used to camp each year with their caravans and horses on the waste land common between Glaisdale and the canal?

Teachers at BGS. Seeing as you were there 5 years after me I would be going out as you were coming in. Try Mr Protherough, Mr Williams, Miss Butler, Mr Stone (art), Mr Yarnell (Physics), Mr Wombwell (chemistry), Mr Kirton (Metalwark), Mr Jacobs (English), Miss Scott (French), Miss Skedge (English), Mr Robinson (chemistry) and another Mr Robinson (games). Dave Gingell was our Biology teacher. Guess what, They have built houses on my old rugby pitch. What sacrilege!!!!!

Oh I do remember lots of those! Mr Williams, of course, then Mr Stone, Yarnell, Wombwell, Kirton. Jacobs, Gingell and Robinson (Chemistry). Really liked Robinson and Jacobs.

Our house on Melbury Rd used to look out onto the school playing fields.

We had a Chemistry teacher called Mr Wombwell and I'm sure a Mr Yarnell too at Carlton-le-Willows GS while I was there between 61 and 66. I must be missing something but I can't find out how old you two (Bilbraborn and annswaby) are but I think these would be the same teachers. Mr Wombwell was a little guy with blonde hair and we used to really wind him up in class. Think Mr Yarnell did some boys hockey coaching too.

I remember the gypsies in that clearing on Glaisdale Drive.

If you want to know my age I am 62 years young. I still occasionally see Mr Jacobs (or Dr Jacobs as he is now) strolling up Aspley Lane. He remembers me and likes to stop for a chat.

When I was in my final year at Glenbrook Junior they closed Beechdale primary. It was composed of the wooden mess huts for the Ack Ack gun that was there during the war I think. We had some of the lads move into our class at Glenbrook. I am struggling to remember names but I think George Grundy was one. Alan or David Franks. David Hockley, I have the class photo in front of me but names elude me.

That explains it...the Allison boys lived at 26 and would have 4 and 6 years up on you so therefore you were never in their groups.

My brother is 6 years older than me and may have known them. I remember he had a friend from around Darnall Crescent called Mick Yard.

There was however a big group of us used to sit on the train bridge collecting train numbers - all ages but I can't remember the names.