:biggrin: Hi Bilboro-lad, welcome to 'Nottstalgia'. I lived in Bilborough for a few years - around early 60's - even worked at the spanking new Library on Bracebridge Drive (my first job).

I like to write and if I can help you in any way possible - regarding research - with the book that you're writing, then I will.

Will look forward to reading your future posts............ :biggrin:

PS: Were there some allotments around the Old Coach Road area?

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

Hello Jackson, I'll definitely seek your advice when I get nearer to completion on the book. I'm still at the stage of collating memories and this site will help with that. I used to go into the Bracebridge library around 1964/5 and we would play an embarrassing trick on the librarian - but I'd better wait until you know me a bit better before I tell you about it. Oh and the allotments were down Old Coach Road, starting as it goes around the left hand bend and down to the train bridge. The main gate was next to the train bridge. That place had more barbed wire than Colditz. Only ever got in there twice.

Commo. I don't know if he was related but I went to school with a Paul Cooper who lived around that area,

• Upvote 1

Hi Bilboro-lad. Welcome from Bilbraborn. I was brought up from the age of two on Wigman Rd between Glaisdale Drive and Graylands Drive. I have written an account several pages long of life in Bilborough in the 50s and 60s. I wrote it mainly for the benefit of two of my grandsons who live in Bilborough and go to Glenbrook School as I did. If you need any help with your book, I have loads written down. And by the way, although I am a coupla years older than you, I almost certainly shared time with you on Old Coach Road train bridge. I am still a railway nut now

Hi Bilboro-lad. Welcome from Bilbraborn. I was brought up from the age of two on Wigman Rd between Glaisdale Drive and Graylands Drive. I have written an account several pages long of life in Bilborough in the 50s and 60s. I wrote it mainly for the benefit of two of my grandsons who live in Bilborough and go to Glenbrook School as I did. If you need any help with your book, I have loads written down. And by the way, although I am a coupla years older than you, I almost certainly shared time with you on Old Coach Road train bridge. I am still a railway nut now

I'm still a railway fan too. Often up Butterley way. If you don't know me, then the likelihood is that you will know at least one of my brothers as we were always down there. They are: Robin Gavin (sadly deceased), Anthony Gavin (lives in Denmark) and Ian Gavin (Eldest who emigrated to Oz in 1962 and has never been back to this day.)

I don't remember anyone with the surname Gavin (mind you. I don't remember much at all these days) You must have gone to Glenbrook schools - Head teacher at Juniors was Tommy Cooper. No not that one but still helluva nice bloke. You might have known David Bignall who lived on Wigman Rd. He would be about your age.

Must have been Mr Saunders. There was also a teacher they used to call 'six foot misery'. His name eludes me. Remember Mr Bowker and his football and cricket hand books. In the late 70s when my eldest son started at Lenton Primary, Mr Bowker's wife was the headmistress. Can you also remember the other Mr Saunders? He was blind and came a couple of times a week to do singing lessons. I often wondered if he was blinded in the war. It certainly didn't stop him playing a piano.

Yes Saunders. He's still alive and in a nursing home. Nice chap. I remember the blind piano player with smoked glasses. We had to lead him all the way back down the drive to get his bus. I looked up under his glasses once and he had no eyes at all - just sockets. It was like the Twilight Zone to a 10 year old.

• 6 months later...

There are both single (`prefabs' ) and double houses,Stephen. The prefabs were supposed to be `temporary' and were built for houses for slum clearance and returning servicemen.

I noticed on a visit in August quite a large proportion of the prefabs had been `clad' in brick or other materials. The 2 story metal houses were largely untouched.

Not cladded,. old ones were taken down and new ones built

In view of the above, did you know 2 immaculately turned out young ladies of your vintage,Carol and Stephanie(who worked for an Insurance company)

I knew one or two Carols but the only Stephanie I knew was Stephanie Green. By the way, I am hoping to move back to Bilborough later this year.

Wigman Road nr Glaisdale Drive. It was my mum and dad's house and I grew up there. From the age of two (1953) until I was 18 and left home. It is a different world now. At least my son and his family will be nearby and his kids go to Glenbrook school as I did. My other sons daughter starts Bilborough College in September. I went there when it was Bilborough Grammar School and her dad went there later when it had become Bilborough College. She says she will be coming to our house every lunch time. Bless her.

hellothereBilbraborn, can't blame you for going back to live on Wigman Road, it's very central: lots of shops up on Bracebridge Drive, the Library and Health Centre, you can cut through to Wollaton and if you're feeling fit you could leave the car behind and walk into the City.

I remember reading of Radfordred's move from Radford up to Bilborough: he hated it and soon moved to Wollaton (within walking distance of Radford) - I'm sure he won't mind me telling you this.

only teacher at beechdale primary I remember was Mr Harries a welch guy that chopped his finger of with the guillotine.

Peveril There was Wragg, Salivanski, Edwards, Pugh, Witham & Sam Ward headmaster.

Girls ....Carol Rook, Linda Kemp, Jane Silkstone,Janet Lockwood, Tich. Margret & Edith Gott (Twins)

Boys John Darch , Rodger Staines, Ian Nichols & his brother Keith, Paul Wyatt, John Wealthall .

It seems to still be a nice place. Not an awful lot changed. Just the new special school on the Hadden Park High campus. Stadium changed a bit and Old Park Farm has gone. And of course the prefabs were replaced years ago.

I drove past your house the other day. That hairdressers (Trimmers) used to be a doctors surgery. We found that if you went round the back the windows were obscure glass (frosted) but there was a little gap under the frosting you could see through. The old Doc used that window for light so whatever he was looking at faced that window. Boy we saw some sights.

I drove past your house the other day. That hairdressers (Trimmers) used to be a doctors surgery. We found that if you went round the back the windows were obscure glass (frosted) but there was a little gap under the frosting you could see through. The old Doc used that window for light so whatever he was looking at faced that window. Boy we saw some sights.

That was my old Drs surgery many moons ago. Dr Everton & Dr Want who later in 1971 became the lord Mayor of this city.

Bilbraborn @ #93; sounds really lovely you moving back into the house you grew up in; to live alongside memories, yet younger members of the family visiting to a house handed down. Lovely story - Good Luck.