Ah well. When I get a minute I'll have to scuttle up there and have a look. It's only round the corner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

#377 dave5491 the lad on the right hand side at the end looks very familiar, did go with the school to london, dont think we went into the house but went on the river and bought me mam a coronation coach and horses from a gift shop, she still had them just before she passed away, thanks for this dave

I can name some, front row from left of pic Alan Gill, Tommy Shipman, ? Taylor, in grey mac ? Chambers, one with bag don't know, centre with mac Graham Keetley, with scarf Kenny Hemsley, Dave Prince, and at the end Steve Sherwin. At some point the party was split into 2 and we somehow got separated. We went to the Science Museum and a trip on a boat as well.

Hello LizzieM #20 - I was at Carlton-le-Willows GS between '57 and '64. I remember a Mr Wombwell the chemistry teacher. I was a real boff, and loved chemistry, but he made it seem hard!

I went back to ClW a few years back, and got treated like royalty. Everyone kept saying "He was here between 57 and 64" as if I was out of the Dark Ages!

• Upvote 1

LongJohn, I was at CleWs GS 1954 - 1960 so I must have overlapped with your time there. I chose Languages over Sciences at the end of the second year so didn't do much Chemistry or Physics, although I was allowed to keep Biology. My form master for several years was Mr Bates - I loved that man because he was a great teacher with a good sense of humour and I think he understood my sometimes cheeky, rebellious ways. I got in touch with him again when I was in my thirties and visited him once with my family. We corresponded for a while and I felt so sad when I heard that he'd died... Do you go to any of the reunions?

• 3 weeks later...

MargieH #385: I was a real boy scientist, but happily I found languages easy as well - made it hard when you had to choose! I remember "Basher" Bates well - he and I didn't really like each other personally, but we had a grudging professional respect for each other. He taught me French very well, so that I can still speak it. In fact, I made a friend a few years back at a WEA class in Exeter, simply because she is French, and I was willing to talk to her in French! How easy is that?

Another little anecdote that might amuse you - a couple of years ago, I was having lunch in the Christian bookshop/cafe in Tiverton Devon, where I live. I heard a little white-haired lady ask for a magazine she had ordered, and gave her name as "Scorer". Me being cheeky-daft, I asked her if she had been a German teacher at ClW, and indeed she had!!! She was my German teacher between '59 and '62, for O level. Mind you, German is hard, hard, hard. That's why they don't teach it so much in schools these days - it brings the ratings down. Spanish is easy-peasy, I bet, so it's popular nowadays.

I'm afraid I don't go to the reunions - a lot of the people who organise them used to be the sort who were always made prefects. No-one I recognise goes.

Do you remember a girl called Susan Fowler? She and I were in the same class all the way through ClW. I discovered by accident that she had married a Nigerian, brother to the prize-winning novellist Wole Soyinka. As Susan Soyinka, she has written a couple of books about the side of her family she didn't know about at school - her mother was Jewish, and only just got out of Vienna ahead of the Nazis. Susan and I also share the same birthday - 27 October 1945. She reckons that she must have been conceived on 27 January 1945 - the day that Auschwitz was liberated.

Hello Long John, I sent you a PM some time ago, when you first joined Nottstalgia ....... did you get it?

I go to the reunions but find that most of the attendees are slightly older than me, although there are about half a dozen of us from my start year (1961) I've met Susan Fowler there but can't remember speaking to her much. I think she was in a wheelchair, as was Tim Marshall. They were Head Boy and Head Girl together, must have been about 1961/62.

Miss Scorer was my German teacher but I only studied it for 1 year because as you commented it's not an easy language, French was enough for me! I'm sure I still have a book belonging to Miss Scorer, didn't steal it intentionally!

Hello LizzieM #387: Yes I did get your PM, but only discovered it this evening, after I'd written you the above reply #386! Duh! You'd never believe I spent 20 years in the IT industry, would you??

Hello LongJohn. Interesting to read your post. I remember the name Susan Fowler but can't remember what she looked like. Was she in the school netball team I wonder, cos I may have remembered her from there. I was in the team all through my school life. I see from the membership list that she lives in Penzance. I haven't been to a reunion for years and years as there aren't that many people I can really relate to! When you first see them, they look just like a group of old people, although that perception does tend to change as you get into conversation and the years roll back very rapidly. I do keep in touch with a couple of the girls in my year but that's about it. I am still a member of Salix, though, as I like to read the newsletter and see if anyone has died!!! About German.... I loved it probably because I was taught up to O level by Mr Bates, who also taught me French. He must have done a good job as I took the exams at the end of the 4th year and passed!

• Upvote 2

Hello MargieH #389:- I got in touch with Susan Fowler direct via Amazon when I learned via U3A that she had had her first book published. This was about a school in the east end of London which was evacuated to Cornwall during the war. Most of the kids were Jewish. Lots of them stayed in Cornwall - they were well received by the locals, and some intermarried. The U3A said that Susan lived in Penzance - I asked her this, and she said she planned to, but was still living in the Arnold area. I seem to recall she did play netball, but I'm not the best person to ask - I have the sport gene missing.

This book also had a picture of her, taken not so long ago. I thought she looked rather old, but then my bathroom mirror tells me the same thing, even though I know I'm actually 23!!

• Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...

Just registered on the site, I'm Anthony Broughton saw the posts from Bilbraborn & Blondie re the Brindley family. I lived at 100 Melford Road form from 1951 to 1963.

Apologies, not used to the functionality of posting yet, should have mentioned the post which caught my attention was from November 2014

Welcome Terrence and have fun.

Now then Blondie. A few names have rang a bell DING DONG!! I knew Bernard Brindley who lived with several brothers and sisters at around 92 or 94 Melford Road. He was associated with my friend (who I lost contact with years ago) Anthony Broughton. I briefly had contact with Bernard again in the 1990s but haven't seen him since. There was also a Jimmy Bridley and I remember younger sister Avis who was at Bilborough Grammar School. A nice lass but a bit of a torment. I remember Lorraine Sharpe. I didn't really know her but she was in the year below me at Bilborough Grammar School.

OK back to Terrence. My mum and Dad are both deceased so I can't ask them, and we moved when I was only two. I remember a man called Alf Allen who lived nearby. He was a joiner by trade like my Dad. There was also a woman who lived nearby who owned a very well trained Alsation dog called Guilder. This dog, I am told, saved my life when I was a toddler by preventing me from running onto Wigman Road when the Milkman left the gate open.

Hi Blibraborn, I'm Anthony Broughton, 100 Melford Road from 1951 to 1963

Hi TrevorS,

Thanks for your welcome post.

I lived at 100 Melford Road, born there in 1951, I lived between the Haywood Family and the Simpkins, the Fletchers lived at 96 and the Brindley family at 94. Bernard Brindley was my best friend. I went to Melbury primary and then onto Glenbrook juniors. I came across this site by accident and was really surprised to see my name mentioned in a past post (November 2014) by Bilbraborn who remembers me. I would really like to hear from him. If yourself or Blondie (posted mentioning the Brindley's) know of a way of contacting Bilbraborn that would be good.

Just send him a PM from this site,, welcome by the way, if your memories are anywhere near as entertaining as the othe Bilborough folk it will be interesting to read

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard today that Bilborough Baptist Church on Wigman Road is closing. Last sevice is next weekend.

I remember as a young lad seeing the church being built, just after Harvey Haddon Stadium was built, approx 55 ish years ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9653251,-1.2187958,3a,75y,343.22h,84.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4cgS2kdFdfaVRmLaj4AdhQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• 1 month later...