• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

I now attend the Bilborough Local History club on the last Wednesday of teach month. Jackson regularly attends and sends you all her love.

• Upvote 5

As above, come on Jackson, log in.

Only just spotted this thread!

I was raised for my first couple of years at 76 Glaisdale Drive, which as I recall was a single story prefab. That would have been Feb 1949 to around 1952 when we moved up to Bestwood. I have hardly any memories of the area as I as too young, though I do recall that we went around the corner occasionally to play. Odd things stick in my mind. Like me poking dirt out from between flagstones and it going into someone's (maybe my late Sister Pam's) eye.

I wandered around the house banging a yard brush onto the wall, but didn't stop at windows....

No real memories of the house, or where I slept. All a bit odd.

Recall my Dad coming home from work with a little black kitten. We didn't have it long. I have a very weak memory of it heading off down a path opposite our house which supposedly led to Wollaton Hall. (Looking at maps now I suppose that would have been the Old Coach Road) Never saw the cat again.

When I went for a look some years ago I found that all of the prefabs up to No 76 had been replaced with what looked like pensioner's bungalows.

Long time ago. 64 years +

Smewhere I've a pic of my sister Pam with my Grandma at Glaisdale. Will see if I can put it up.

Col

• Upvote 1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136033576@N07/8zJ1UB

There you go. Pam was older than me by almost 2 years. , so probs taken around 1948.

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bilborough Shirley. I have the Email address of Natasha at the Bilborough History Society but not allowed to give it on here. However the next meeting is on Wednesday 24th February at 2pm in the St. Martin of Tours Church in Bilborough Village. If you can't attend, Google St.Martin of Tours Bilborough Village and lots of info comes to light.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moirab,

I worked on Glaisedale Drive for 37 years and on my way to work had to go via Bracebridge Drive shops for my paper in the morning and on my way home at night plus food shopping at the Co-op store here.

#411 We lived about half way between the Bracebridge shops and the ones on Cockington Road. Back then both lots of shops had a Co-op. My mum preferred the Cockington Co-op. Just taken a look on Google maps street view and the Cockington Co-op has gone! Looks like flats or houses there now. There used to be a butcher's shop run by Frank and Cyril, a chemist shop and the Co-op. On the opposite corner was the chip shop, paper shop and the "beer off". Just looked again on street view and seen the supermarket there where the paper shop was. I noticed the concrete posts in front of the shops, I guess these are to stop ram raids! Lots of changes since I left.

• Upvote 1

I worked as an errand lad for Frank and Cyril at the butcher's shop on Saturdays, in fact Cyril was my foster Uncle, he was married to my foster fathers sister Kate.

I lived at 60 Cockington Rd just a stones throw from the shops.

I always admired Frank and Cyril they treated me like a person and not like screwed up kid, the opposite to how my foster parents did.

• Upvote 1

#113 Hi Tompa. In the early 50s, before I started school I used to go shopping with mum and we always went to Frank and Cyril's. She liked the meat from their shop and they were so lovely and friendly. Often there was someone at one of the shops who used to tie a bull dog up outside Frank and Cyril's. I was terrified of that dog because being so small I looked it straight in the face and to me it was so ugly! It never did any harm though. Do you remember Dr Angus and Dr McDonald who had a surgery on Cockington Road just around the corner from the shops? They were so nice and in those days we just went to the evening surgery and waited in the queue. Those were the days. Dr Angus had a daughter who was very pretty and wore lovely clothes. I remember often seeing her get on the E1 bus to the city and I always admired what she wore. We lived near William Sharp school but we always went to Cockington chip shop as they were the best chips!

• Upvote 1

# 414 Hi bilboroughShirley. I can't remember anything to do with a bulldog, but glad to hear you survived the unwanted stare of the beast lol.

The Doctor I went to was near Wollaton , on the corner of Russel Drive and the road up to Wollaton village, can't remember the Doctors name though.

I wonder if anybody has a photo of the old shops ?

I went to Sunday school in Wollaton Village and I also went William Sharp School

• Upvote 1

#415 Hi Tompa,

The E1 bus passed through Wollaton and there was a bus stop that we always referred to as "doctor's corner". I had completely forgotten about that until I read your post.

Wollaton seemed to be the place for Sunday School! I went with my friends to Kingswood on Lambourne Drive.

I went to Portland school. Living on Cockington Road I guess you did too. Way back last year I started a Portland thread.

• Upvote 1

post-7040-0-67142700-1456122485_thumb.jp #416 This is a school photo taken at Portland Road Junior school around 1950/51 I only lived about 50 yards from the back

entrance. Little me is 7th along top row. I can't remember the teachers name though. I think I remember a

teacher called Miss Boswell but can't be absolutely sure about that.

I later on went to a school on Bramhall Road which is now called NUSA whatever that is, couldn't have been far from where you lived.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor I went to was near Wollaton , on the corner of Russel Drive and the road up to Wollaton village, can't remember the Doctors name though.

I wonder if anybody has a photo of the old shops ?

Russell Drive going top to bottom; the road to Wollaton village off to the right - in 1948.

russelldr.jpg

• Upvote 2

Dr McGovern I think his name was.

My Granny's house on May Avenue backed onto the cricket field at bottom right. She had a stile onto the field. We kids loved having that area to play when we visited her. I suppose you don't have another photo which would show the area to the right of this one do you Cliff?

Thanks Cliff. My great grandparents moved into 16 May Avenue (6 from the bottom of the Avenue on the left, on this photo) around 1930 when it was a brand new house. My granny then moved into the house in 1954. No cricket field at the time of this photo, which I knew anyway. The house was sold in 1988 for £46,000.

#417 Great photo Tompa. The teacher at the right hand end, was that Mr Gregory? Other teachers I remember were Miss Moseley, I was in her class the first year in the infants; Mrs Bowker who used to have her dark hair in a neat bun and she had the class next door. In the second year I had Miss Henshaw who always wore a green dress. Then in the Juniors there was Miss Whitworth, Mrs Pearson, Miss Martinson and Miss Maxwell. Mr Gregory was in the Junior school. Mr Bourne was the head of the Junior school and Miss Burlinson was head of the Infant school. I have some photos that I need to scan then edit into the size to put on here. Perhaps I need to use the Portland School thread. Great memories. Thanks for the reminders.

#419, What we called "doctor's corner" was the group of houses on the right as you turn into Wollaton village from Russell Drive.

• Upvote 1

#424 Yes I think your right about the teacher's name......... I think it was Mr Gregory, Good Lord what a super memory you have.

I think the our Doctor's house was on the left right on the corner, I think it is a Medical centre now. Somebody did post a photo on here somewhere but I

can't find it.

Maybe you should post on Portland School thread..... good idea

• Upvote 1