Thank you Benjamin 1945. Feels good to say it after all these years. As an adult I would probably like to know about his time in the war, I didn't know why he had a bad leg. Think all our generation had fathers or uncles who fought in ww2. My uncle died of fever in a Japanese war camp.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

A lot of male teachers in that era were ex-servicemen.

Mr Barnes a very strict maths teacher was an ex RAF Spitfire pilot.

During a particular tough maths lesson someone would ask, "sir, is a Messerscmitt 109 faster than a Spitfire ?"

Right lads, pens down he would say & spend the rest of the lesson telling us how he chased enemy aircraft & shot them down !

It worked everytime, was a lot more exciting than trigonometry !

• Upvote 3

pashel #448, during my first year at players, i had been to special school for junior school years, Mr Auckland ran the school library, he lent me a book, my first reading book, The Wooden Horse, about escaping in ww2, i read it in two days, upon returning the book he insisted i could not have read it in two days, he questioned me on certain actions taking place in the book, i had read it and told him what he wanted to know, he said he believed i had read it and he was very proud to have me in his class, this was the first time anyone had told me they were proud of me, i actually remember crying at this. during the next 4 years at school he regularly encouraged me to read, must have read about half of all books in that library. The best teacher and gentleman i can remember, God bless nobby!

• Upvote 5

I once had a friend who grew up in Bilborough, she was called Christine Barnes.......

#456.

Could well be the case, none of us had the "bottle" to ask him.

When he sat down he had to press a catch near his knee so he could bend his knee.

I never ever saw him without him wearing his berry on his head, even when he took us scouts to Rempstone for camping !

Just caught up with stuff posted by GER. Welcome mate. Of the names you mentioned, David Airy rings a bell. If it is the one who went to Glenbrook school. He would be my age. (65 years young). Come on GER. You should know what we Bilborough Baby Boomers were like. After the war, New Beginning, New Estate, New Babies. New range of mischief. But at least our parents kept us under control. (well.............most of the time).

Hi Bilbraborn,

I am a bit further along the conveyor belt than you it seems, Trevor Airey was nearer my age than his younger brother. I might have been a bit of a rogue when I was younger and perhaps when I got older, up to a point. Never did anyone any harm but I was a bit of a lost soul. Family a bit dysfunctional, as were a few, after the war years. Dad came back from the war, damaged, cast a shadow over the house for all my younger years but hey we got through it all and after my late teens when we used to go down to Kettering and drink gin and scrumpy in The Three Cocks, I got hold of my life and turned it around. Had a very busy young life, knew a lot of people and have fond memories of most of them. Whats you take on early Bilborough, a few years younger and at that age its a big difference but i am always intertested in other peoples take on places and people. I only found this site by accident a short time ago. Some of it is very interesting. Time disolves with some memories.

• Upvote 1

Born in a Tarran on Wigman Road (literally) and moved to a BISF house when I was two. Mum and Dad bought it years later and when Dad died 2 years ago I moved back in and that's where I am now. But I remember so much more freedom. Walking up the road to play with friends at five years. Going up to Hoylake park on my own when not much older. The woods on Glaisdale Drive were a huge adventure playground, and also the canal (forbidden territory but still played there). I often wander around with my grand kids and show them my old stamping ground. Beat the hell out of X boxes.

• Upvote 5
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am looking for my old friend Debbie from Bilborough. She worked as a Saturday girl at Woolworths in Clifton roughly 1974 when she was about 14. It was unusual to have a Saturday job so far from where you lived but I think it was because a of hers worked at the Clifton branch full time and she used to travel with her. Debbie and I had lots of great times and nights out when we were around 14-16. Unfortunately with my failing memory I can't remember her surname. I think she might have got a job at Bell Fruit when she left school. Does any of this ring any bells with anyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On Saturday November 19th There is an event called The Bilborough Local History Fair.  It is on at St. Martin of Tours church in Bilborough Village (opposite the Rose Public House) and hosted by the Bilborough Local History Society from 11am until 4 pm. It will cover every aspect of Bilborough (and surrounds) history and will have photographs, maps, family history and other stalls.  It is free to get in.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

After reading most of the replies i too was born in Bilborough in 1949 and spent the best times of my life down the canal making dens in the woods great times,sad to hear that Robin Gavin had passed a great lad ,also Paul Tomlin a good friend passed a few years back from a brain tumour ,i will mention some names of the friends i new and over the years hung around with.Tony Greaves,Alan Greaves,Paul Tomlin,Johnny  Wealthall,Pete Wealthall,Trevor Arie,David Arie,Ronnie Thomas,Mick Taylor,

Kenny Hancox,Hewi Burns ,Nan Burns,Sandra Mabbot, Jeff Clarke,Pete Stanley,Kieth Stanley,Jacklin Stanley,Dennis Shaw,pete Hudson,Terry Kirkwood,Les Weaver,Roger Peck.

I have some interesting stories of true events from living in Bilborough that i will put on later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Welcome from me too denboid.  

Did Roger Peck play for Sheffield Utd?  If it's the same one then I worked with the girl he married .... but can't for the life of me remember her name. It's an age thing they tell me.

Hi LizzieM, Roger Peck did sign for Sheffield utd as a apprentice when he was 15 ,i last spoke to him 25yrs ago when he lived on sankey drive bulwell he was living with his wife and 2 children his oldest daughter was 17yrs which ties in with her being your friend,hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember the Prendegas family who lived at the bottom of bramerton rd opposite the Gavins ,Brothers David,Martin and Shaun there Dad was a police officer next door to them coming back up bramerton lived John Cutts, Graham Copestake,Mervin Leaves,Robert Brown,

Anthony Wright,Mervin Leaves and Roger Cook,Roger and Mervin were the underground den  experts over the woods on glaisdale they were brilliant sometimes.

going a bit further back in time on glaisdale can anyone remember Alan Giles(nick name gig, Kenny Hancocks half brother he used frighten us younger kids chasing us in the woods with a black cloak on as part of the black hand gang,good times.I will leave it there for now its

christmas day and i am getting moaned at,i have loads of facts and stories relating to bilborough which i will put on soon.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Ayup Denboid. Sorry not posted lately been up to my neck in work. Welcome to Nottstalgia (a bit belatedly).  I lived on Wigman Road and also played on that fantastic adventure playground called Glaisdale Drive woods.  I remember a lot of the people you mentioned but some of the older ones terrified the hell out of me.  The Greaves family (along with Paul Tomlin) lived at the back of us on Monkton Drive. Alan Greaves could play all sorts of musical instruments. I knew him again briefly a few years ago but have lost touch. I knew the Prendergasts very well as I had friends on Staverton Road, like Dave Booker, Philip Day, Rob Catchpole and Katrina Long. I notice you mentioned Pete Hudson. I knew him but I was the same age as his brother Roy who I often walked to school with.  Remember Edmonds at the Beer-Off? and Jack Haywood the newsagent next door. The shops are now knocked into one with that modern name 'Convenience Store'. I used to have a nice little earner at the age of 8, running to the shops for neighbours ciggies earning threppence a time.  God the authorities would have a heart attack at the thought of it. Especially when I used to go up to the Beer-Off for a jug of beer for my dad.

I well remember the tunnels in the woods. Maybe they started life as Bell Pits many years ago before they built all the houses. We used to play in an old canal branch called the 'Dyke' and go home covered in muck and get a clout off mum. Happy days.

If you live locally there is a Bilborough Local History Society which meets at St. Martin's Church in Bilborough Village  on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7.30 pm. (there is one tonight) and 4th Wednesday in the month at 2.30pm. Look them up on the internet. Got to go, wife has just come in.

• 11 months later...

Hi again to all the Bilboroughites on here. I haven't posted on this thread for a little while but now I've retired I have a bit more time.

To recap, I was born and brought up on Elstree Drive from 1950 until 1961 when the family moved to Forest Fields so I could be closer to my new secondary school. I went to Beechdale Primary School (now long gone) and regularly played around the old canal, the tin bridge on Woodyard Lane and the railway line. I also used to play football and cricket on the grassed area in front of Ambergate Rd shops.

The kids on Elstree Drive used to attend BPS or Robert Shaw. Some of the older ones were at Peveril and Glaisdale. My sister who's three years older than me attended Glaisdale.

Elstree Drive was a quiet place although it backed on to the railway line. Some of the houses were very close to the line indeed and it's a wonder the residents could sleep at night.

To keep my mind sharp over the last few years I've been jotting down the names I can remember of the residents of Elstree Drive. I've done quite well but I'd like to fill in the gaps.

Does any kind soul on here have access to a Kelly's Directory for the mid 1950s where they could list out the Elstree Drive section please?

I'm still in touch with an old school friend who lived there but no one else so I'd love to see the names.

• Upvote 1