• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

Spoke to my sister & Barbara is alive & well she is living Haydn Road area of Nottm. She lost her husband a TV repair man ?

My sister sees Barbara often

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Spoke to my sister & Barbara is alive & well she is living Haydn Road area of Nottm. She lost her husband a TV repair man ?

My sister sees Barbara often

Catfan,

thank you. I am pleased to hear she is well. I knew her year's ago from where we both worked , John Jardines Engineering, Durnford Street in the Meadows district, long since demolished of course. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Never having penned anything for such a nostalgia website before, can I ask if the following rings any bells?

From living on Beechdale Road and going to John Player Infants, then to Beechdale Juniors, then to Robert Shaw Primary. From there to Glaisdale Secondary Modern and finally to Forest Fields Grammar School on Stanley Road - with school trips to Interlaken (Switzerland), Bopprard am Rhein (Germany) and Zell am Zee (Austria). Then with the 53rd Scout Group at St. Margaret's Aspley to EMEB Showrooms at Carrington Street, West Bridgford and Hucknall.  To also include Including playing on the little Pitch and big Pitch on Beechdale Road, train spotting on Radford Bridge Road, through Brown's Woodyard to Wollaton Hall to see the stuffed gorilla or the Flea Circus at Goose Fair.  Never, ever watching the girls netball practice at the Manning School or seeing Don Winslow of the Navy or Batman serials at the Windsor on Saturday.  Or perhaps wondering what happened to Griffin & Spalding, Sisson & Parker and was it the Kardomah that had the outside fan to waft freshly ground coffee smells down towards "slab square" (the Market Place) as the trolley buses glided by.  Was it the No. 39 trolley bus to the Crown on Ilkeston Road(?) and the 56 and 60 buses to Bilborough?  Did the lions ever roar outside the Guildall (or was it called the Town Hall) so that you could hear them in Burtons Arcade?  Does anyone remember the smells of Players Bonded Warehouse, Shipstones Brewery and the tannery at Trent Bridge; or know whether it's still "black over Bill's mothers"?

Or is there no one out there?  

TJA

• Like 4

I'm here, Trevor, but I grew up in Woodthorpe so quite a bit of what you have written rings no bells for me!  But I'm sure there will be others who will respond to your post, especially if you give some dates of your schooldays....

Hiya Trevor, you're right about quite a few things on your post. I lived opposite to Players bonded warehouses, the 39 trolley bus went just round the corner to the left, at Crown island, also 56/60 did go to Bilborough. I worked on all of 'em at times. Trollies were often referred to as "Whispering Giants".

Your servant sir, Beekay.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Trevor Askew said:

Does anyone remember the smells of Players Bonded Warehouse, Shipstones Brewery and the tannery at Trent Bridge; or know whether it's still "black over Bill's mothers"?

It still gets black over Bill mothers occasionally and  legend has it that the only time the lions roared was when a virgin passed by, says a lot for Nottingham.

Talking of odours the smell I most remember was from Bitterlings on Trent Ln and the maggot farm, disgusting.

On the bus to Clifton the pong from Players made me feel quite queasy, so did the Kardomah. I can't remember anything from Shipstones but  I have a distinct memory of the gasometers from the top of a trolley bus to Bulwell.

If we had a vote for the best smell in Nottingham I go for the Co-op bakery...mmmm  gorgeous.

There was a distinct beery odour from the Home Brewery in Daybrook when we lived off Thackeray's  Lane in Woodthorpe back in the 50's. Out here, in the Trent Valley, apart from the occasional 'agricultural' smell, we do get the occasional whiff from the sugar beet factory in Newark, if the wind is blowing towards us. I remember both the smell of Basford gasworks and Bitterling's disgusting aroma. There was regularly a 'sewage' smell from Stoke Bardolph.

They once had a work's outing from Stoke Bardolph to Skegness and one of the workers got off the 'bus and took in a deep breath of the sea air. He collapsed and they had to throw a bucket of s**t over him to bring him round!

23 hours ago, MargieH said:

I'm here, Trevor, but I grew up in Woodthorpe so quite a bit of what you have written rings no bells for me!  But I'm sure there will be others who will respond to your post, especially if you give some dates of your schooldays....

Hi Margie,

First, thank you for responding.  I'm still not sure how to best use this media and I knew as soon as my own name came up, I should have used a pseudonym or,  in case of inviting unwanted attention in the form of writs, threats, and other unwelcome vituperation, a "nom de guerre",  but I imagine it's rather too late now.

Nonetheless I do thank you for responding and in answer to your suggestion I can only say I'm a little hazy on dates. However I think I started at the John Player Infants School in 1947 through to leaving Forest Fields Grammar School on Stanley Road in either 1958 or 59. I hope that helps someone.

In those latter school years I remember among my friends were Bruce Gooding, Ian Lovett, Graeme Hardy and Jeffery Pickering  (if I've left anyone out, please forgive me).

These of course were only my male friends and whilst Forest Fields was co-educational at that time, I feel it would be most ungentlemanly of me to mention any remembered names from the fairer sex. Though I must confess their images shine more brightly in my memory than those of the aforementioned names above.

If therefore these names and dates stir any anyone's remembrance, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Meanwhile I found it quite remarkable how my mention of particular smells that I remembered should have provoked the most interest, I suppose it's the kind of stimulus that evokes an immediate memory, rather than perhaps one that is visual or auditory.  Not to be sniffed at though!

Margie, I'm afraid I don't remember Woodthorpe too well, and on my last expedition further north (indeed my only such trip) two or three years ago, I got hopelessly lost trying to find my way around Nottingham.  What was striking was the number of educational establishments that had been created.  Even Triumph Road -  a road of wonderful memories, particularly of the Fire Station there - had been bisected by a college.  I did however drive up with my wife to just outside Mansfield last year to collect her surprise birthday present, a miniature wire-haired dachshund she has called Freddy.  He joins our old deaf and blind cocker spaniel, Barnaby, and our Maltese Terrier, Caspar.  Freddie was intended to come as close as possible to replacing our previous miniature wire-haired,, Mr D'Arcy, who died last August.

But enough for now. With your indulgence I will copy this message to the others who have responded and hope they too won't mind joining my totter, rather than stroll, down Memory Lane. 

• Like 1
On 2/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Welcome Trevor,,,type in waxing lyrical,,cos i like how you do it,,

Hi Benjamin,

First, thank you for responding and your kind comments. Most of what follows is a copy of my response to Margie because I'm still  not sure how to best use this media. Nevertheless I knew as soon as my own name came up, I should have used a pseudonym or,  in case of inviting unwanted attention in the form of writs, threats, and other unwelcome vituperation, a "nom de guerre",  but I imagine it's rather too late now.

Nonetheless I do thank you for responding and in answer to Margie's suggestion I can only say I'm a little hazy on dates. However I think I started at the John Player Infants School in 1947 through to leaving Forest Fields Grammar School on Stanley Road in either 1958 or 59. I hope that helps someone.

In those latter school years I remember among my friends were Bruce Gooding, Ian Lovett, Graeme Hardy and Jeffery Pickering  (if I've left anyone out, please forgive me).

These of course were only my male friends and whilst Forest Fields was co-educational at that time, I feel it would be most ungentlemanly of me to mention any remembered names from the fairer sex. Though I must confess their images shine more brightly in my memory than those of the aforementioned names above.

If therefore these names and dates stir any anyone's remembrance, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Meanwhile I found it quite remarkable how my mention of particular smells that I remembered should have provoked the most interest, I suppose it's the kind of stimulus that evokes an immediate memory, rather than perhaps one that is visual or auditory.  Not to be sniffed at though!

Benjamin, I remember Bulwell well as i lived in Hucknall for several years, but on my last expedition further north (indeed my only such trip) two or three years ago, I got hopelessly lost trying to find my way around Nottingham.  What was striking was the number of educational establishments that had been created.  Even Triumph Road -  a road of wonderful memories, particularly of the Fire Station there - had been bisected by a college.  I did however drive up with my wife to just outside Mansfield last year to collect her surprise birthday present, a miniature wire-haired dachshund she has called Freddy.  He joins our old deaf and blind cocker spaniel, Barnaby, and our Maltese Terrier, Caspar.  Freddie was intended to come as close as possible to replacing our previous miniature wire-haired,, Mr D'Arcy, who died last August.

But enough for now. With your indulgence I will copy this message to the others who have responded and hope they too won't mind joining my totter, rather than stroll, down Memory Lane. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all that Trevor...............don't think its too late to change your user name,,,i'm sure one of the 'moderators' will sort for you,,,,you seem the sort of chap that will enjoy this Nottstalgia''' thing,,,...........all the best mate.............

Hi Trevor welcome to Nottstalgia, in your post you mentioned the Fire Station on Triumph road, this closed down and moved to Abbey Road Dunkirk, which has now been demolished. I can only find one photo of Triumph Road Station which is from 1940/41. 

triumph-rd-fire-brigade-1.jpg

• Like 1

triumph_rd_fire_brigade_2_large.jpg

The above photograph shows the equipment and men of the WW2 AFS (auxiliary fire service) that were based at Triumph Road. My father having had severe bronchitis as a teen failed the medical for the armed forces and joined the AFS and is somewhere on the first photo. I have a a group photo of the men taken at the same time.

My father is 5th from left back row. Nottingham had a relatively quiet time in the bombings but teams were sent to Derby and Coventry during some of the severe raids they suffered. Being one of the younger crew he was the one who went to the top of the ladders and the experience rendered him terrified of ladders and heights. I remember him venturing half way up a ladder when I was a boy and my mum having to fetch a neighbour to get him down as he became unable to move.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My Grandad also served at this station, he died before I was born, Mum recalls him saying he attended the Coventry blitz. 

When I looked into it..these crews also attended bombings at Sheffield and Hull..

Thanks Letsavagoo!

..Think iv'e shown my mum that picture before, I'll give it another try...

Trogg, that photo of the AFS men and equipment in front of a gasometer, it's weird but I was given a copy of that 2 weeks ago. I was told it was in Coventry,  you don't state a location for that , is it Nottingham ?

Regards, Terry

Fogrider the photo is from Triumph Road, it was taken from Lenton Times . Searching through the different editions of it you can find photos and info regarding the station and also the opening of Dunkirk Station. I once found info on a young Ron Spencer, who you will know, he served at both Triumph road and Dunkirk, I tried to find it again to make a copy of it but failed, hope you find Lenton times interesting. You can purchase copies of the Lenton Times as it is still in publication.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, trogg said:

Fogrider the photo is from Triumph Road, it was taken from Lenton Times . 

If you look at it on Lenton Times website, you can see a very hi-res version of the photo.

Enough to zoom in to the van on the far right where you can see the registration number is almost certainly CTV xx,  which was obviously a Nottingham reg back then.

• Like 2

Thanks both,  I do remember Ron Spencer, he was a Station Officer at Central in my last memory of him, organising the change over from the old Commer ET to the new Leland Mastiff.

Lenton Times, here I come...…….

13 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

triumph_rd_fire_brigade_2_large.jpgThe above photograph shows the equipment and men of the WW2 AFS (auxiliary fire service) that were based at Triumph Road. My father having had severe bronchitis as a teen failed the medical for the armed forces and joined the AFS and is somewhere on the first photo. I have a a group photo of the men taken at the same time.

My father is 5th from left back row. Nottingham had a relatively quiet time in the bombings but teams were sent to Derby and Coventry during some of the severe raids they suffered. Being one of the younger crew he was the one who went to the top of the ladders and the experience rendered him terrified of ladders and heights. I remember him venturing half way up a ladder when I was a boy and my mum having to fetch a neighbour to get him down as he became unable to move.

Hi, Letsavagoo,

I think my father is fifth from the end on the back row on the right hand.  Certainly looks like him.

If you visited the station, as I did on many occasions, you'll remember they had a snooker table and canteen to the side of the main building.

My father, Tom Askew, finished his time in the service in the watch room, taking calls and recording "shouts" and then went on to become an Osteopath with his surgery on Beechdale Road.

I also remember sometimes going to the Central (Fire) Station and the Children's Christmas Party where Santa arrived on a fire engine.  I received a small suitcase as a present one year within which I kept my prized collection of comics.  How I wish I still had them!  Rocky Lane, Bill Boyd, Black Diamond, Batman..........probably worth a fortune today, as would be my weekly intake of Beano, Dandy then later Eagle, Lion, Wizard, Rover, Adventure and Hotspur.     

But enough's enough.  Nostalgia is a thing of the past, or deja vu as I said before!

Toodle pip!

Trevor

4 hours ago, Trevor Askew said:

If you visited the station, as I did on many occasions, you'll remember they had a snooker table and canteen to the side of the main building.

My father served during the war period and left soon after hostilities ended in 1945 but I’m not sure exactly when. I didn’t come along until the mid 50’s so I never visited.