We had a variation but as I said it could get quite complicated.

1. Hold all five in your palm loft and catch as many as you can on the back of your hand. If you caught three keep one, two go the side and are out of play. Now loft the one saved and pick up one of the remaining snobs before you catch the one falling. Keep doing this until you have picked all the snobs. Then all five are back play.

Repeat but now we are doing Twoses. You have to pick two snobs per throw...… until Fiveses and you have to catch all five on the back of your hand.

Repeat form the beginning but now you don't put the swept up snob down you have to keep them in your hand...

Repeat from the beginning but now the catch has to be overhand...…………...

• Like 2
  • Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

Skipping chant:

On the mountain stands a lady who she is we do not know

All she wants is gold and silver, all she wants is a nice young man

So call in ……… while I go out to play.    yada

Another game we played as ragged a***d and scuffed knees kid was with fag packets. Flatten them, lean them up against the wall and proceed to flick more packets to try and knock them down. The winner was the kid who knocked most down. Twenty packets count as double. Target practice really.

9 hours ago, Mess said:

BTW I recently discovered that "Does your chewing gum etc" is actually a cover of a 1924 recording by The Happiness Boys called Does the spearmint lose it's flavor on the Bedpost overnight? The title had to be changed because Spearmint is a registered trademark in the UK.

Hi,

I too discovered the same thing from a 10 CD box set called 'We Were First', which is available from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Were-First-Original-Versions/dp/B00QXYWAQE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CCI03QMG6MTH&keywords=we+were+first+cd&qid=1582239864&sprefix=We+Were+First%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1

Check it out.

Back in the late 1970s when I worked in Peterborough a fellow Nottinghamian made a reference to snobs and I was the only other person in the room that knew what he was talking about. Outside of Nottingham they're always referred to as five stones.

11 minutes ago, Mess said:

Outside of Nottingham they're always referred to as five stones.

Or 'Jacks'

• 8 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, Mess said:

Hi again to all the Bilboroughites on here. I haven't posted on this thread for a little while but now I've retired I have a bit more time.

To recap, I was born and brought up on Elstree Drive from 1950 until 1961 when the family moved to Forest Fields so I could be closer to my new secondary school. I went to Beechdale Primary School (now long gone) and regularly played around the old canal, the tin bridge on Woodyard Lane and the railway line. I also used to play football and cricket on the grassed area in front of Ambergate Rd shops.

The kids on Elstree Drive used to attend BPS or Robert Shaw. Some of the older ones were at Peveril and Glaisdale. My sister who's three years older than me attended Glaisdale.

Elstree Drive was a quiet place although it backed on to the railway line. Some of the houses were very close to the line indeed and it's a wonder the residents could sleep at night.

To keep my mind sharp over the last few years I've been jotting down the names I can remember of the residents of Elstree Drive. I've done quite well but I'd like to fill in the gaps.

Does any kind soul on here have access to a Kelly's Directory for the mid 1950s where they could list out the Elstree Drive section please?

I'm still in touch with an old school friend who lived there but no one else so I'd love to see the names.

A quick update for interested parties.

I've recently acquired a CD of Kelly's Directory of Nottingham and West Bridgford 1953 and what a delightful read it is.

I've found so many old relatives, friends, acquaintances and shops from my youth in the 50s and 60s.

Copies are still on sale on eBay for £6.99. I thoroughly recommend it and no, I'm not on commission lol.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just discovered this site but I seem to be too late! (Last posting October 2020, is it a lockdown thing?)

Hear goes anyway.

I was born in Lenton Abbey 1949.  My family moved from Wollaton to Bilborough during the 50's. My first school was Melbury Infants then onto Glenbrooke Juniors and finally Bilborough Grammar School. I left BGS early (1964) to become a motor vehicle apprentice at Standhill Garage, Carlton Hill. A No 56 bus to Crown Island and a No 39 Trolley bus took me straight to the garage. Disillusioned after 2 years I joined the Army as an aircraft technician (light helicopters).

My childhood and early teens were spent around Bilborough and Strelley estates. I attended St Martins church weekly (just to be in the youth club held every Saturday night in St Martins church hall (now houses) but I was an alter boy!

We lived on Fairnley Road (top end of Wigman Road and the terminus for the 56 bus service into the city)

My recollection of a Chambers familty on Melbury Road was No 54 where my best mate Mick Chambers lived. I also had a couple of cousins that lived at No 50 Melford Road.

Would be interested in the History group if it's still meeting after the lockdown.

I'll leave that there for now just in case the site is closed.

• Like 2

The site is alive and well Fairlad and you are very welcome! Here you'll find not only memories of life and times in and around Nottingham but a huge range of topics from Quantum Physics to terrible music clips and political discussions.  Feel free to jump in with whatever interests you and care to share..   wereno1

25 minutes ago, Fairlad said:

I'll leave that there for now just in case the site is closed.

As Brew has said, the site is definitely not closed.

There are a large number of threads (100s) on Nottstalgia and they don't all have new posts added to them every day. Some of those threads will sit dormant for years until someone like yourself does a search for a Nottingham subject and ends up here. If you have the time to dig around a bit further, you'll probably find a lot of other things which will interest you or jog your memory.

• Like 1

And who knows ''Fairlad'' when you get bored with Politics and Quantum Physics you may want to cheer yourself up with some Music clips........LOL

• Like 3

Who knows Fairlad, your reference to catching the 56 at the terminus, it's quite possible I could have been your driver, as I was on NCT about that time. Welcome to Nottstalgia.

• Like 1

Families I remember on Farnley Road (not many with the fading of my memory!). The Boothes, Meads, Blatherwicks, Revilles, Wheats, Whites, Buxtons, Tomlins, not many but that's all that comes to mind. 

• Like 1

I went to BGS with Stephen Blatherwick, he joined the police force from what I can remember, his older brother was in the 6th form as well. Also Raymond Wheat was in my class. Knew a Margaret Buxton, she had a sister whose name I can’t remember. My mum knew. Mrs Reville as well can remember her name being mentioned. 
Hey BK wonder how many times I travelled on your 56 or 60 bus when I was going into Nottingham for work or going to the pubs/clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fairlad said:

Hi Stavertongirl,

I'm afraid I might just be that Raymond Wheat!

Can you remember the haversack incident at BGS?

SG, you caught me bus and never said hello. :shout: No wonder I've got a persecution complex and a feeling of rejection.