• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Fiends - sorry, Friends   Well another bright, shiny day in paradise!   And Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for all the cards, many of which would make a Bishop blush.

Dear Hearts, How very kind some of you are.   At least three kind postings have flooded in and I’m overwhelmed (do we know of anyone, anywhere that has ever been underwhelmed – and what

Hi Margie,   Thank you for your kind comments.  Where our ages are concerned, and judging from your photo, that makes me 27!   I must confess I'm very new to this "posting" but it'

Annswabey, you could well have caught me bus at one time. I remained at Bilborough Depot until late 1967. That's  when I moved to Weller engineering on Wigman Road (just below the drillhall), but I only stayed for 6 weeks as I couldn't manage on 5/9d per hour. So I buggered off to Smith Dennis on Berridge Road. The rest...history.

• Like 1

Fairlad is the second person from BGS that I have got in contact with thru this site. The haversack incident confirms he is who I thought he was. Still got a couple of people I am trying to trace so will have to keep fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I'm only sorry I didn't go to BGS. Seems I missed out on a fun time. Bugger ! Missed the boat again.

I originally posted this message on a St Martins Church page but was advised by Cliff Ton that the posts were from 2009! (I will get the hang of checking first I'm sure). I have re-posted it here as it is still relevant to my growing up in Bilborough during my teenage years in the 60's.

I used to go the St Martins every Sunday. I was also an alter boy! The main reason for attending church was so that I could go to the youth club held in the church hall , (now communal garages and houses), on a Saturday night. We also had some great dances there. This was in the early to mid 60's.

Names I remember? Here goes, Lesley Taylor, Brenda Thompson, Mick Chambers (my best mate), Mick Wright, John Hooper, Keith Jewsbury, Janice Coats (Lollipop), Heather and Hazel Burton , Diane ?, Robert Bridges, Richard Savage, Doreen ? (lived on Wotton Close, opposite Caincross Road playing fields), Jane Marson (my cousin), Mick Wilkinson (St Martins vicar's son), Toni Bakewell.

I also remember Father Lavender, Brother Michael, Father Shewring and Father Wilkinson from the church.

One day Mick Wilkinson got the keys to the church and we explored the bell tower and enjoyed the views from the roof.

The houses that fill the land between Wigman Road and Strelley Road was originally waste ground belonging to the church (gleeb land), a raised bank with trees and shrubs ran from St Martins Walk to Strelley Road and in that corner was a fresh water spring and a large pond. An occasional fair was also held on there.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Fairlad is the second person from BGS that I have got in contact with thru this site. The haversack incident confirms he is who I thought he was. Still got a couple of people I am trying to trace so will have to keep fingers crossed.

Should I be getting worried here?

2 hours ago, Fairlad said:

Should I be getting worried here?

Perhaps as I can remember the park!

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Fairlad said:

I originally posted this message on a St Martins Church page but was advised by Cliff Ton that the posts were from 2009! (I will get the hang of checking first I'm sure). I have re-posted it here as it is still relevant to my growing up in Bilborough during my teenage years in the 60's.

I used to go the St Martins every Sunday. I was also an alter boy! The main reason for attending church was so that I could go to the youth club held in the church hall , (now communal garages and houses), on a Saturday night. We also had some great dances there. This was in the early to mid 60's.

Names I remember? Here goes, Lesley Taylor, Brenda Thompson, Mick Chambers (my best mate), Mick Wright, John Hooper, Keith Jewsbury, Janice Coats (Lollipop), Heather and Hazel Burton , Diane ?, Robert Bridges, Richard Savage, Doreen ? (lived on Wotton Close, opposite Caincross Road playing fields), Jane Marson (my cousin), Mick Wilkinson (St Martins vicar's son), Toni Bakewell.

I also remember Father Lavender, Brother Michael, Father Shewring and Father Wilkinson from the church.

One day Mick Wilkinson got the keys to the church and we explored the bell tower and enjoyed the views from the roof.

The houses that fill the land between Wigman Road and Strelley Road was originally waste ground belonging to the church (gleeb land), a raised bank with trees and shrubs ran from St Martins Walk to Strelley Road and in that corner was a fresh water spring and a large pond. An occasional fair was also held on there.

I remember all of the people listed - I used to go to St Martins and was in the Brownies and Guides there for a while. I remember the Glebe field and the rump of Goose Fair used to pitch up on the Sunday after the end of Goose Fair. There was a service on the dodgems! My name was Janice Matkin and I arranged the 1997 re-union of Bilborough Grammar on the site, sadly no longer there, neither is Glenbrook Junior Girls' school.

• Like 2
On 10/22/2020 at 3:36 PM, Mess said:

A quick update for interested parties.

I've recently acquired a CD of Kelly's Directory of Nottingham and West Bridgford 1953 and what a delightful read it is.

I've found so many old relatives, friends, acquaintances and shops from my youth in the 50s and 60s.

Copies are still on sale on eBay for £6.99. I thoroughly recommend it and no, I'm not on commission lol.

Hello Mess,

Our earlier years appear to coincide. I attended BJS in the later forties. I lived for a time on Ranmere Road. I also went to the canal with friends, Andrew Duckworth was one.  I played on Ambergate field as it was right in front of where we lived. Names, of Anthony Poyser (desased I think) Tony Powell, Pat Rhodes and Daryll Edwards as I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, Astwood said:

I remember all of the people listed - I used to go to St Martins and was in the Brownies and Guides there for a while. I remember the Glebe field and the rump of Goose Fair used to pitch up on the Sunday after the end of Goose Fair. There was a service on the dodgems! My name was Janice Matkin and I arranged the 1997 re-union of Bilborough Grammar on the site, sadly no longer there, neither is Glenbrook Junior Girls' school.

Hi Janice. Good to see you on this excellent forum! Lots here about BGS and other places we know.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2015 at 7:41 PM, terence12 said:

One early memory of mine is riding on the crossbar of my dad’s bike to go and fix a frozen water pipe at Old Park Farm.

Guess I was four!

18 hours ago, Paul Dilks said:

I knew Jimmy Brindley. I lived at 315 Wigman Road.

Between 1947 and 1954 we lived at 34 Plungar Close.

Dad was a plumber who worked in the schools.

Paul, I went to Beechdale Primary 1955-61 so knew a lot of kids who lived in the prefabs. A lad called Terence Lane lived on Plungar Close. I think he went on to either Glaisdale or Peveril.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi I was born in 1951 at 15 Graylands Road. My name was Carolyn Richards and I had an older sister, Lynda and a brother, Christopher. My dad Roy worked on Players Fire Brigade and mum, Sylvia, worked in Edmonds beer off on Graylands Road.

I went to Glenbrook Infants and Junior Girls and then to Glaisdale bilateral. I moved when I got married in 1973 but my parents were there until dad died in 2014 (mum died in 1998). Having read lots of posts I have recognised many of the names and can add plenty more. (We lived just around the corner from Sandra Eggleton!!!!) There was Karen and Barbara Kiloran, Glenis, Donald and Candy Scrimshaw, Neil and Pamela Oakden, Graham, Clive and Ann Smith and Mary Wakefield all in our block of houses between Monckton Drive and Staverton Road. My best friend was Julie Moss (her sister was Karen Moss who still lives in the same house on Bramerton Road). 

My dad had a Panther motor bike and sidecar before having a car..

Well I will finish there. Hope some of you remember our family.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, Tony G said:

Hi Denboid, Tony Greaves here. Nice to see your memories from those days. It was sad to lose my brother Paul. My mum passed at 86 and my dad last year at 94. My sister Christine recently visited Martins pond and Raleigh pond and was here today relating to how we used to spend our time there prior to all the factories. Mainly built over now. Dennis Wren was also one of our mates. Good old days.

hI Tony, Hope you are well i am going fishing with the grandson this weekend for the first time in years ,we will have to have a meet up to chat about the good times,cheers Dennis.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is David Widdowson and I was born in 1948 in Monkton Drive. Moved to Bramerton Road in 1950 when my sister was born. I don't remember many names as we moved to Eastbourne in 1955. Went to Glenbrook Infants School and lived next door to the Tuxfords. Opposite were a family with Gloria, Valeria and little Dennis. I now live near Valencia, Spain.