Bilbraborn

Growing up in Bilborough

On 28/08/2013 at 7:35 AM, Bilbraborn said:

When I was in my final year at Glenbrook Junior they closed Beechdale primary. It was composed of the wooden mess huts for the Ack Ack gun that was there during the war I think. We had some of the lads move into our class at Glenbrook. I am struggling to remember names but I think George Grundy was one. Alan or David Franks. David Hockley, I have the class photo in front of me but names elude me.

David Hockley is my cousin.  We used to live in Bramerton Road, I went to Glenbrook Infants and Juniors and then Bilborough Grammar

I have just found this site. It appears that you and I are the same age. I lived on Ainsley Estate and went to Robert Shaw but use to play at the rec off Beachdale Lane, the Canal and Bluebell Woods. My brother and a lot of my friends went to Pevrill and to Forest Fields.

Were you part of the Radford Bridge Road gang; some good fights and stone throwing at each other using the ballast from the railway tracks.

The simple good old days 

On 3/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, stpandp said:

David Hockley is my cousin.  We used to live in Bramerton Road, I went to Glenbrook Infants and Juniors and then Bilborough Grammar

Hi stpandp,

Just seen your post.

I remember David Hockley from his time at Beechdale Primary and Forest Fields Grammar school. He made an immediate impact when he arrived at Beechdale in the late 50s because he was such a brilliant footballer. Although he was a year younger than the rest of the team Mr Fletcher included him straight away such was his ability.

I'm in touch with one of David's schoolmates called David Franks if you can pass that on.

I'd be interested to know what David's been up to these last 50 years or so. Is he still in Nottingham?

Please pass on my best wishes. BTW my name is Ian Cresswell.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:29 PM, Martyn said:

I have just found this site. It appears that you and I are the same age. I lived on Ainsley Estate and went to Robert Shaw but use to play at the rec off Beachdale Lane, the Canal and Bluebell Woods. My brother and a lot of my friends went to Pevrill and to Forest Fields.

Were you part of the Radford Bridge Road gang; some good fights and stone throwing at each other using the ballast from the railway tracks.

The simple good old days 

Hi Martyn,

I used to live on Elstree Drive which backs on to Woodyard Lane and in the 50s spent many happy hours playing on the railway line, tin bridge and disused canal.

I well remember standing on the tin bridge and throwing stones at other kids. On one occasion a young lad was hit on the head by a stone. It was a glancing blow but it was bleeding a lot. When we saw what we'd done the whole mood changed and we immediately went to help him. How crazy were we as kids? Throwing stones never thinking we might actually hit someone and cause injury.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve just looked it up Elstree Drive on Google maps and remember it well. I am assuming that Woodyard Lane was the lane that passed by the canal and went through to Woolaton.

I still have a small scar on my forehead from being hit by a stone, during a session on Robert Shaw playing fields and having to go to the Children’s Hospital for stitches. 

I think your name rings a bell. Did you or any one from your family go to Robert Shaw or Peveril. 

2 hours ago, Mess said:

I used to live on Elstree Drive which backs on to Woodyard Lane and in the 50s spent many happy hours playing on the railway line, tin bridge and disused canal.

This is from the late 40s and shows the area you're referring to (including the still-existing canal). The red arrow is Elstree Drive, and the main road on the right is Hollington Rd / Wigman Rd.

xoqEK68.jpg

Lovely picture Cliff thanks for posting it. 

We lived at 23 Elstree Drive which is in the bottom left hand corner of the drive as pictured. It looks as if it was just being completed which would date the picture as 1946 which was when my mum & dad bought it. You can also see Brown's woodyard to the middle left of the canal and the footprint for the end of Chalbury Rd.

We spent many happy hours playing when we were kids further along the canal near the old Radford Pit, swimming in the pit basin !

I had a Whatsapp exchange with an old schoolfriend of mine yesterday. He claims he caught a big Tench in the canal on his 15th birthday. His birthday is the the first day of the fishing season. The only things I ever caught up there were tiny Gudgeon and the occasional Roach, or what I claimed was a Roach 

Staverton Rd here. I was born 1946 and my name is Anthony Gavin. I live on 16 Staverton Rd and have so many memories about Bilborough.

I was wild with train spotting and often hung around the train bridge on old coach road.

Hi guys and girls Anthony Gavin here.Yes Ger I know all the lads you mentioned. Remember the Water bailiff had a very nobly nose he was always telling me off for throwing stones in the water. My mates were  Clive Buxton, David Prendigast, Robert Litchfield and Paul Yates. We spent all our holidays around the canal. Climbing the trees at the bottom of the slag heap and looking for fosils on the top. There were some spots where one would sink in over our ankles and it was hot and smelled of sulfur. If anyone threatened me I would tell them that I was Ian Gavins brother.