More mystery and conspiracy, not really the word to use, more than twenty years ago a friend of mine was a regular ( and crazy ) winter visitor to northern Scotland, one evening he came across a man with a Nottingham accent working in a pub, lots of conversation and eventually the Pretty Windows murder came up, the barman clammed up and found something else really important to do, never got into conversation with my friend again. It's just like ghost stories really aint it?

• 2 years later...

Dropped into the newly refurbished "Pretty Windows" yesterday afternoon I can report the Castle Rock have done a fine job, I did think it would have been a lot more busier, but quite full even the new outdoor seating was full, the Castle Rock Harvest Pale was also in fine form, Mrs Red did have a gripe no Malibu? but 10 different Gins on offer? On the way back into town dropped into Bunkers Hill & the quite new Saltbox which were both packed with ice hockey fans in over sized shirts! 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

OK....... my parents Sam & Vi Wakefield were the landlord/lady of the Earl Howe at the time of the Fox & Grapes Murder, it is the next pub about 100meters up Carlton Rd. I was about 14 yrs at the time of the murder. Sam & Vi  were interviewed several times by the police in the hope that the murderer may have previously visited the EH and they could help with enquiries, obviously a forlorn wish.

I understood from my parents who were Sneinton born and bred that the F & G was nicknamed "Pretty Windows" because in the distant past someone who had been barred for brawling in the pub took exception to the ban and smashed all the pub windows one night after closing time in retribution for the perceived injustice. The nickname for the pub typifies Nottm. city humour which I love some much, I like this explanation and have had no reason to question it these last  ~57yrs

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ge off said:

... my parents Sam & Vi Wakefield were the landlord/lady of the Earl Howe at the time of the Fox & Grapes Murder, it is the next pub about 100meters up Carlton Rd.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Ge off.

You may - or may not - be aware that the Earl Howe these days appears to be in a strange state of limbo. Looks like a pub, but probably hasn't been one for some time.

GtAHzdK.jpg?1

I heard through friends of the sad state of the pub there are cellars cut into the sand stone which were used as air raid shelters in the war. When I lived there I explored a short distance along them however brick walls had been built to bar full access. It was believed that they form part of the well known underground system that Nottingham is famed for and perhaps they extended as far as the castle.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I've read about this previously. Radford Red is on the money. It had stained glass and intricate designed windows hence the nick name. It is not Ge Off's smashed window story. 

This is on the BBC crime watch site quote

The father-of-two was killed as he left the pub, well-known for the intricate design of its windows, to take the family dog for a walk shortly after midnight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-24600834

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2013 at 5:21 AM, mick2me said:

Shame Nipper Read was busy with the Krays

Detective Leonard “Nipper” Reid died today aged 95, I believe there is a Nottingham connection? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52201667?at_custom3=Regional+BBC+East+Midlands&at_medium=custom7&at_custom2=twitter&at_campaign=64&at_custom4=3368D3E4-78F1-11EA-A13B-DF8596E8478F&at_custom1=link