Radford mill, Norton St & Highurst St

'Aircraft parts?'...During the war maybe.Thousands of businesses moved over to war work.I haven't heard personally though, and I worked in part of it in the 80/90s

this link might be of interest.

http://www.adarkertrantor.co.uk/2010/08/radford-mill-viyella-works-nottingham-august-2010/

In the newspaper archives is this snippet but without full access don't know whats its about .

W. HOLLINS & CO.
to the Radford mill, the directors decided to dispose of this if possible, and were already in negotiations to that end, when the authorities stepped in and commandeered it for their own purposes; so for the time being this had to be shelved.
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
01/03/1940
Article
Something from the 20s about one of the Hollins directors
LOCAL HAPPENINGS.
Claude Hollins, the senior director of the firm of Messrs W Hollins and Co., Ltd. The deceased gentleman, who was in his 71st year, had been with the firm all his lifetime,
first at the Pleasley Vale Works, and then at the Radford Mills, Nottingham. *
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
31/03/1923
Article
Is this the same Radford Mill described as being on Garden Street ?
C BRIDDONS LIMITED, Radford Mills. Garden-street, require experienced Flatlockers, Overlockers and Lockstitchers.
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
20/10/1944
Advertisement

Is this the same Radford Mill described as being on Garden Street ?

Yes it is. The building fronted onto Norton Street on one side and Garden Street on the other side. It was effectively an island.

There are a number of photos and other bits in this thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10134

• 2 years later...

#12. That's why I stopped doing the word games - kept seeing the same things going round again and again .......

• Upvote 2
On 15/07/2016 at 5:38 PM, iandawson said:

A little off topic,when Jersey Kapwood left Talbot st. did they go to Highurst st?

Amazing....you've answered a question for me which I never actually asked.

They must've been in this building - which is still standing but derelict.

uLnbwOC.jpg

At the entrance down the side (the place with the white square in the centre) on the side wall is this engraving of two letters - JK.

9CLm5ID.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sorry cliff,where the steel railings are...running in the direction of Derby Road.

So according to the article, someone of the Cheshire set owns this building and site.

On the whole from Bentinck Road to Canning Circus this is a filthy run-down entrance to our city...as is Mansfield Road too.

Sorry cliff,where the steel railings are...running in the direction of Derby Road.

I think you mean Alfreton Rd :happy: which is the road in the photo ! Those railings are actually going down Highurst St.

This is what was next down on Highurst St before everything was demolished.

highurst3_zpsmlj3xchf.jpg

The building which would've been behind the taxi on Alfreton Rd was this.

highurst4_zpsmwd8en8r.jpg