Newshouse on St. James Street

Oh, you mean the BT staff canteen?

(Well, it was mostly populated by BT people every lunchtime, wasn't it, Zab!)

As for folk, I'd have avoided it like the plague if I saw anyone with wooly jumpers, beards and fingers in their ears. Can't stand it.

You mean garden gnomes? The Newshouse did two Folk clubs. Friday night was mainly traditional folk singing (beards and wooly jumpers) but Saturday night was more of the modern (then) stuff like Bob Dylan and Joan Bayez. The clubs were in an upstairs room and you had to go down to the bar to get your drinks. The atmosphere on both nights was great. I think the MOC was a bloke called Don Winters.

Went to the Folk Club a couple of times in the mid 60's and remember at time of the scorn poured on the newly emerged Donovan for being a "pretend" Dylan doing it just for the money !!

I think that Friday night was free entrance, which was why I managed to go, but was probably an entry fee on the door on a Saturday.

On the Friday anyone could stand up and sing or play, never had he ability myself, could have been that I did not have a beard or a woolly jumper!

It was a good night out in those days.

I can't remember ever paying Friday or Saturday night. One Saturday, Liverpool played Forest at city ground. Some of the Liverpool fans found their way into the folk club upstairs. They were a bit merry (which was good considering they had lost) and also a bit rowdy. Eventually the MOC stood up and said to them "If you want to contribute then get up and sing, if not then shut up and listen to the singing" or something similar. So the merry scousers got up and sang a medley of about four or five songs including The leaving of Liverpool and My old Liverpool Home. They were brilliant and got a standing ovation.