Twenty past eight... Dark!

Not a big change in summer to winter daylight hours where I live, sunset is now 7-36pm, which is only about 3/4 hour less than the summer solstice.

We are about the same latitude as southern Spain.

Summers always end at August Bank holiday, it was a bit early this year, but it is usually wet and is the end of the school summer holidays. The countdown to Christmas begins

It only seems like a few weeks ago that you guys were in the grip of winter. Goose fair is about five weeks away, isn't it ? That was when I thought the winter was almost on us, dreaded the thought of months not seeing the sun, or feeling its warmth.

I am sure as you get older,it feels colder( blood thinning out), and your heating bills increase.The answer, Invade Florida en masse and tell the authorities you are seeking 'winter asylum'.The US government will give you $4000 and somewhere to live

Probably 35 years since I went to Goose Fair but one of my memories is fighting wasps off my candy floss in the heat of some early October sunshine .

Never missed a Goose Fair once while living in Nottingham, in my younger days after the fair we would go on the little park before starting that long walk back up to Mansfield Road. I have visions of picking up nuts on that walk ,"were there nut trees or have i imagined them?". The Church opposite has some nice memories for me ,i was bridesmaid twice there in the 1950s, then down to Vicarage street so mam could have a cuppa at nannars. Can anyone remember a little shop right in the middle of where Huntingdon Street met Mansfield Road, we used to call in, and i have Jellied eels stuck in my mind, so not sure if they sold them in little containers. And just down Alfred St North before you get to The Mechanics Arms there must have been a blacksmiths or some thing similar and that is where my Granddad worked, Frederick Johnson in the 1950s, any one know him.

• Upvote 1

Yes your right its so easy to drift off the original topic, Back to dark nights, It seems a lot worse suddenly, when we alter the clocks, but its not for long, i am one who hates the dark nights, The winter solstice is Sat Dec 21st and then very slowly we start to get light again, Thankfully.

For us long dark nights are something we look forward to. They mean roaring log fires, lots of comfort food, preparing for Christmas and all the feel good factors it brings, family gatherings, and catching up on the indoor jobs, that you don't want to waste sunny days on......and I love the autumn colours that are on their way now and of course it's not just Christmas on its way, there is Hallowe'en (or Samhain for the pagans among us ) and Bonfire Night, and if you are lucky enough to live in Lincolnshire you have Mischievous Night to not look forward to!!!!

Spring and Autumn always give me a lovely feeling, Spring because of the lighter nights and the thought of getting our cycles out after usually three months storage and the approaching Summer, and Autumn because of the Glorious colors of the foliage that we see in the countryside, it can be a beautiful time of year, as neither of us are fortunate to be able to walk far, we get in the car and just get lost down the Shropshire lanes, Remembering that the night draws in very early and it can be a bit risky if the lanes are to remote.

I must admit that I love summer when I am not working, but working in kitchens means that in winter there is some escape from the heat. Also, My teenage grand-daughter loves long country walks (keep fit fanatic) but prefers spring and autumn as the summer heat can be quite draining.

In winter, us pair of old buggers (me & the missus) like to go to bed early and snuggle up and keep warm and watch the crap on the TV saving on heating bills in the process.

• Upvote 1

Springtime days are birdsong,gardening,and long walks with my dogs.Winter nights to me are like being in solitary.Hours and hours of TV or PC and waiting impatiently for daylight...which in this country takes forever lately because the skies are a mass of dark cloud.

As for Christmas...just more solitary...but with holly, bloody Cliff Richard and gas bills...Roll on spring.

Down here they just flick a switch - goes from Winter to Summer overnight. Last week tops of 12 degC and bloody cold, this week 25 degC and frantically unpacking Summer clothes.

One of the greatest pleasures of being English is being able to whinge constantly about the weather. Wherever you are. If it's 'ot it's too 'ot, and if cold too cold. If the sun is shining it's too bright, if overcast - it's too gloomy. Happiness is unionflag

I had a mate who lived in Melbourne before he came back to Pommy land. He called it the windy city. I hope he was referring to the weather.

Is it only me but I never notice it being light later, I just realise one day it's still light at silly oclock, but I notice strait away when it gets dark earlier!

It doesn't quite ease into it either, summer just suddenly comes to a holt! It is rather depressing but I'm quite a fan of autumn and prefer it over summer!