Old Broadmarsh bus station

Indeed it was. I gather that South Notts and West Bridgford were hopping mad, because NCT's original plan was to keep the Clifton business all to themselves. It had been South Notts territory for years, and NCT had shown no interest in running any services for the men building the estate. West Bridgford (possibly prompted by South Notts) said to NCT "If you're planning to run buses through our patch, we want a slice of the cake too" and there was a mighty big wrangle before the Traffic Commissioners, resulting in an agreement that specified the percentage of the service that each operator could run.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't forget the Tower pub. Me and me mate used to go round there at closing time just top watch them trying to fight each other. They were often so drunk they would throw a punch and end up on the fl

61 was the original 1952 Clifton service, which was progressively extended along Southchurch Drive as the estate grew, eventually terminating at Green Lane. 61A was introduced shortly afterwards as a

I can still smell the exhaust fumes, fag smoke & piss    

five years later, I was driving similar buses, AEC Trojans? and Leyland TDs with folding doors and also the rear entrance models. The Leylands had a push button door control and on the AECs it was a lever. These were the Green and orange buses of Glasgow Corporation.

AEC Regents I would think. And more likely Leyland PDs, as TDs were pre-war (although quite possible some could have rebuilt with doors in later years).

More interesting stuff!

That's the first time I've seen a picture of the Collin's Almshouses and I never knew so many streets and houses had been demolished to make way for the old bus station.

One further question, does anyone know when Widdowsons factory was demolished?

• 6 months later...

I remember getting the Barton buses from Broadmarsh down to Bramcote and if I remember right, there were 'Trent' buses too?

There were 2 ways of getting into town from Bramcote. (I'm talking about the 60's - 70's here).

One was from Derby Road (bottom of Sandy lane) and that was either a Barton bus or a Derby 8 which was Trent.

I'm not sure what bus stations they went to because I nearly always got off beforehand at the stop after Canning Circus.

The other way of getting into town was from Bramcote Lane. The E8 or F5 (Mansfield and then Midland General) which went via Ilkeston Road and ran to Mount Street bus station.

I used the E8 and F5 when I lived on Woodbank Drive. One if not both actually came down Woodbank . Sometimes I got the Corpo bus from town which came down Derby Rd to the Priory then travelled up the Vale to just past the Hemlockstone pub as far as Arleston Drive then turned round . 63 I think it was. This was in the 60's before Wollaton Vale was opened up to Balloon Woods .

Great days then.

OK Cliff Ton - I'll bite. (You knew I would !)

Two questions here : 1. Nottingham - Bramcote services. 2. What services used (Old) Broad Marsh and did that include Trent? (OK two and a half questions).

Barclaycon has answered the Bramcote question. Trent 8 from Derby via Sandiacre, and the competing Barton 4/4A from Sandiacre - both went to Mount Street (and are these days amalgamated into the TrentBarton i4). There was also the less frequent Barton 27 from Long Eaton via Toton and Stapleford. None went to Broad Marsh (but do now). As Barclaycon says, the Midland General E8 and F5 from Bramcote Lane/Wollaton Vale went into Mount Street via Wollaton village. At a stretch, you might include the Corporation 63 that also started at Wollaton Vale and went to Mount Street (return from Granby Street?)

Services using Broad Marsh : obviously the Clifton services of NCT/WBUDC/South Notts. Most of the Barton services that left Nottingham via London Road and Trent Bridge, although I'm not sure whether the 2 Melton Mowbray and 12 Leicester may have started from Huntingdon Street. Can't remember all the route numbers, but 6 Keyworth, 14 Ruddington, 22 Redmile, and others to Stathern, Long Clawson, Hickling. Midland General/Notts and Derby routes A1 Ripley via Basford/Kimberley, F2 Ilkeston via Basford/Kimberley, F4 Hucknall via Basford/Watnall. As far as I can recall no Trent buses used the old Broad Marsh.

I think the general idea was that routes were allocated to the bus station on the side of the city nearest their route out, to minimise the number of buses clogging up the city centre. So Mount Street was nearly all out-of-town buses leaving via Canning Circus. Broad Marsh was mostly those leaving via Trent Bridge, although the three MGO/NDT ones were an exception to the rule. (The A1 of course, was until 1953 trolleybuses starting from King Street.) Huntingdon Street was everything else - originally the only bus station, and all the Trent services started there except the few leaving via Canning Circus - 8 Derby, 60, 60A, 60B Hucknall, and 61, 61A, 61B Kirkby in Ashfield and Mansfield.

Yes Stephen, the 63 left Granby St, I think the last one left about 11pm whereas the E8 / Fs was about 10.45. I often missed them all and had to walk home after rather a copious amount of beer. Some days Id go down Ilkeston Rd and hope to see one of my mates, then other times I'd go down Derby Rd and up the Vale. Occasionally there was a Beeston bus that went to the Priory via Derby Rd, then along Woodside Rd and through Lenton Abbey Est. I nearly always ended up walking though.

Most of the Barton services that left Nottingham via London Road and Trent Bridge, although I'm not sure whether the 2 Melton Mowbray and 12 Leicester may have started from Huntingdon Street.

12 to Leicester definitely started from Huntingdon Street.

As a young boy of about 9 or 10 I remember catching the number 12 to Leicester on my own to visit my rellies. the cost was 1/6d return (3 shillings adults) and it started from the extreme left stands (?by the toilets and cafe?)

• 5 months later...

Yes, that's definitely the right building, I can remember that lessons were sometimes split between here and the new building on Maid Marion Way.

Used to stop off at the Café in centre of the picture, then phone the girlfriend from a phone box just round the corner to the left.

Smiffy

Once had a lift from Long Eaton to this spot, on the back of my friends Lambretta.

He had removed the covers and foot rests, so foolishly I placed my feet on some rather hot part of the scooter.

When I got off and walked towards the 67 / 68 bus stop, my shoes stuck briefly to the ground as the underside had started to melt !

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

Like Bilbraborn in an earlier post I was seeing a young lady who lived in Clifton. It was 1967 I remember it well because she was mad on the Bee Gees and Robin Gibb in particular . The song at the time was Massachusetts .

I used to walk her to her last bus then when she got on I legged it out of the bus station up Stanford Street then right into a narrow alleyway then on to Friar Lane and Maid Marian Way and catch my last bus to Broxtowe number 62 I remember. The bus more often than not had started to move off and in those days you got on at the back where the conductor stood and it was open so managed to jump on. Happy days.

• Upvote 1

#20 The tall building behind the old alms houses could have housed an annex to Peoples College in the early 50's?

alms.jpg

That tall building is on Greyfriar Gate, on the site of what became Woolworths. I've no idea what that pre-Woolies building was.

But on this later photo it appears to be mid-demolition.

grey-2.jpg

I remember a double wooden door that faced across the open space to the the railway arches. We had to use stone staircase up to the classrooms. Looking back it was a bit of a dump really, so probably knocked down by the early 60's..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly catching up with postings while I was away, and just came across this thread. Re post #43 and the picture of the low white building on the left. I never knew it was the old People's College, I took my typing exam there. My friend and I had been going to William Crane nightschool classes, and was sent there for the end of year exam. I've often wondered what the building was.

From the age of about 12 I can remember getting the Red Barton Coach from Corby to
Nottingham. It used to pull into the garage at Melton Mowbray to refuel then head to Broad Marsh. It's final destination was Glasgow. The return journey was awful, the coach was so hot, full of smoke and stunk of alcohol. The journey from Corby to Nottingham took about two and a half hours we used to leave Sat morning and come back Sunday tea time - oh happy days :-)