Old Broadmarsh bus station

#43 #44

When I saw this photo I remembered going to that cafe with my parents when I was about 5 years old and having wonderful thick white bread toasted with lots of butter on! In about 1967 friends were discussing Nottingham pubs and they said that if you did not take your darts out of the dart board quick enough in the Towers pub you would get thumped!

Reading the older threads and posts is so interesting!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't forget the Tower pub. Me and me mate used to go round there at closing time just top watch them trying to fight each other. They were often so drunk they would throw a punch and end up on the fl

61 was the original 1952 Clifton service, which was progressively extended along Southchurch Drive as the estate grew, eventually terminating at Green Lane. 61A was introduced shortly afterwards as a

I can still smell the exhaust fumes, fag smoke & piss    

• 3 years later...

I went from Broad Marsh in March 2017 on a Coach to Heathrow.

The coach came in from Derby and it's stop was on the outer bay.

That meant crossing live lanes to get to the coach and waiting around in exhaust fumes.

I went from Station Street, the temporary stops,  in April 2019 on another Coach to Heathrow.

The coach came in from Derby again and it's stop was at the side of the road.

That meant waiting in fresh air then stepping forward 3 paces across the pavement to get to the coach.

Trip 2 was more pleasant.

Hope the new Bus station has pedestrian access to all bays.

I was due another trip this year but something has stopped that one...

With any luck I'll be going next year and from the new bus station.

Wasn't there a pub down the approach to Old Broad Marsh bus station? I seem to remember it had a rather notorious reputation. 

You approached it from Listergate (I think) and it was on the left and set slightly back. Said to have regular punch ups in there. The sort of place you hurried past when going for a bus. Pity I can't remember the name.

When were the Collins Almshouses demolished. I seem to have a very vague memory of walking past there, though Heaven knows what for. I could've only been a tiddler.

They were demolished in 1956. I remember the subsequent car park area where I went to a travelling exhibition on nuclear energy. I read in the handout that in a few years time we would all be getting free electricity derived from nuclear energy. It never happened!

They'd gone before my time but I remember the open-air car park which occupied the site.

We used to stand alongside it - opposite Woolworths - to get the 58 bus which went along Castle Boulevard to my grandma's in Lenton.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated ! Now I know my mind wasn't playing tricks. I could have been anywhere up to 13 years old then. If that's the case, then I could have been walking to Trent Bridge, to go swimming with my pals. Was still living on Denton Street at that time.

Remember that service CT. It went, as you said, along Castle blvd, onto Lenton blvd., then Radford blvd., turned right on Hartley Road and terminated just before the lights at Alfreton Road. "58 Radford."

12 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Remember that service CT. It went, as you said, along Castle blvd, onto Lenton blvd., 

We used to get off outside the Raleigh building opposite Cottesmore school. I never knew where it went after that.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Sadly I’m the same age as you BK!

As agreed with you. The memory images are still there but the fog seems to get denser as we move on. It's these sort of posts that clear the image and enable us to relive our early years. After CTs post, I've just spent a Happy half hour selling tickets on Castle blvd., and chatting to the girls while standing on me platform. Ding, Ding.