Tram bridge at QMC & ring road

It isn't very often you see a bridge resting in a car park.

To take the tram extension out to Beeston, a new bridge will be used to carry the track over the ring-road near QMC. The bridge itself has been pre-assembled and is now sitting in what used to be a staff car park at QMC. Once the approach routes have been completed the bridge will be dropped into place. But for now, it's slightly surreal.

7E1cT3C.jpg

hLyZadG.jpg

pKUdI7c.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm sure no one would argue about the need for the trams to be on a bridge at this location. I am puzzled by the decision to make the crossing of Wilford Lane on the level, the embankment was already there and I'm sure could have been bridged relatively easily, just a little higher than the old railway bridge that was there previously. Once the trams are running I can imagine similar delays to those at Basford crossings and Bulwell Forest.

• Upvote 1

Remember Andrea, Nottingham City Council have absolutely no interest in how much ordinary motorists are delayed. They could not give a hoot. As long as their beloved tram gets through that is all that matters. And as you know, the tram will have priority over everything else like it does on line one.

I once caught a rush hour tram from Hucknall into Nottingham. I have never been so close to another woman since I got married. In fact I don't think my feet were actually on the floor.

• Upvote 1

Remember Andrea, Nottingham City Council have absolutely no interest in how much ordinary motorists are delayed. They could not give a hoot. As long as their beloved tram gets through that is all that matters. And as you know, the tram will have priority over everything else like it does on line one.

I once caught a rush hour tram from Hucknall into Nottingham. I have never been so close to another woman since I got married. In fact I don't think my feet were actually on the floor.

Yes you are quite right about the city council. I suppose once it's up and running things won't be too bad if you happen to want to go where the tram goes and have plenty of time. I've never understood how a journey time of around 40 minutes from Toton (my stop) to the city centre can be attractive unless they make car parking ridiculously expensive. Oh, hang on a moment................

Here's the news article already done the bridge work at the station and Lenton Lane with Wilford's Toll bridge almost finished. Trackwork visible throughout meadows and between Toton and Chilwell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-23684810

• 3 weeks later...

It will be put in place this weekend, as the ring road is shut overnight from saturday until 6am on sunday, they are going to jack it up and then slide it into place. Lets hope that they dont overun the time, as the robin hood half marathon is on Sunday.

Last Wednesday I was at QMC South Block Daycase unit on E floor overlooking the area where the bridge is to be sited. Before the main section of the bridge was moved to this position the engineers were grafting like mad trying to get everything ready unfortunately the massive crane broke down and it was nearly 6 hours before work got back to normal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...