• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have A Cuppa Tea - The Kinks - From their Muswell Hillbillies Album - it's the cure for everything English.

When in England I buy boxes of Yorkshire gold tea.. The best cuppa is the first one you have when you get home after a long time away. .............................. Heaven

I grew up on Co op "99" tea, mum used to make it strong, far too strong for me ! I used to pour some away and fill with extra water. Oh and the horrendous sterilized milk she used to use. Yuk ! Alwa

I grew up drinking Typhoo tea, with sterilized milk. I shudder at the thought of that milk now. I guess it didn't go off as quick as the flat top milk, and we only had the pantry floor as our 'fridge'. When we first got married we lived next door to a farmhouse in Langar and got very friendly with the farmer and his wife. They only shopped in Melton Mowbray [on market days of course] and only had their tea from a little shop on the main street, had the name Sally in the title name. I got their tea for them sometimes, it was in a blue packet, wish I could remember its name, it was lovely tea [loose leaf] Most likely gone out of business now, both the shop and the tea. We drink Yorkshire nowadays, my brother brings catering size bags of it over with him.

Melton stilton: #15 Check out the standard Yorkshire tea - it has a higher percentage of certified tea than the Gold.

The recommendation from a Sri Lankan tea estate I visited was "Never, ever, use tea bag tea." The manager then went on to show me why.

Here's a message we sometimes forget. Cheap tea requires more per pot thus reducing apparent savings:

brookebond2%255B1%255D.jpg?gl=GB

Iv allways wondered this - what's the difference between '1 cup' tea bags and regular tea bags? Iv notices typhoo do 1 cup bags and normal, personally I can't taste the difference!

I do use tea bags - good loose tea is hard to find here - BUT, I always use a teapot and it is always warmed first. Tea made with a bag in the mug never tastes right to me and seems a lazy way of doing it. We even have a teapot in the RV!

Basfordred and Carni: This is a tea grader. The teas fall into the boxes from the machine. Owt that's left at the end goes into tea your ordinary tea bags. In other words - DROSS.

303.JPG?gl=GB

One-cup tea-bags are obviously for making two MUGS of tea with...

I know it's a stupid question, but it confused me as I thought all tea bags were meant to make one cup of tea!

Hi Pixie - I wasn't being sarcastic! I consider any "one-cup" teabag should be sufficient octane to give two full mugs of tea. Mind you, neither I nor my good lady like it too strong (her mum calls it young people's tea !) - Reminds me of an old TV advert that my mum used to quote "Dear Aunt Jane pours out pure rain, but mother sees we've Co-op teas."

I am now a tea drinker but as a kid, I detested it, because my mum used the old rule, 1 spoon of tea for each person, and one for the pot, we had a huge teapot and with 6 of us it was a lot of tea, and STRONG, she also kept the pot on the side of the Rayburn, which stewed it even more, We called "it Mums stew", when we has visitors, for some strange reason they declined a cup of tea if mum made it, but drank it if dad made the tea.

Speaking of weak tea, if presented with a cup my dad would say "when I was that weak they were sitting up all night with me!"

Mum + step dad popped down yesterday, I ran out of tea bags and my strainer things were soaking (they go horrible after a while but I find boiling water and white vinegar brings them back to new) so I opened my new strainer ball things, these were only £1 off eBay as aposed to my £4.90 ones in soak. So as my step dad is drinking his cuppa... He noticed around half of the leaves I used were in the bottom of the mug!! Now that couldn't of been a nice cuppa tea!

Was in co op earlier and saw the boxes of 99's. Decided to stick to what I know and buy PG tips.