• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have A Cuppa Tea - The Kinks - From their Muswell Hillbillies Album - it's the cure for everything English.

When in England I buy boxes of Yorkshire gold tea.. The best cuppa is the first one you have when you get home after a long time away. .............................. Heaven

I grew up on Co op "99" tea, mum used to make it strong, far too strong for me ! I used to pour some away and fill with extra water. Oh and the horrendous sterilized milk she used to use. Yuk ! Alwa

When I was a lad and my mum used to get everything from the Co-op, I remember they had two main types of loose tea.

It was in small packets and there was Ceylon and Indian Prince, the latter was in a blue and silver pack.

Read an article yonks ago that reckoned 80% of the cost of a tea bag is the packaging. The tea itself is only one fifth of the cost. I buy leaf tea and use a device called an infuser, which has two halves of a mesh ball with a scissor type handle. Squeeze the handle and the ball halves open up to allow you to put in the tea leaves. I drink a lot of tea, yet a 250gm/18oz pack of leaf tea will last me well over a month. Doing this I can afford to buy the most expensive leaf tea I can get.

Hi Mick - Thanks for adding the video to the Kinks "Have A Cuppa Tea". The album came out in 1971 and we the last release on their RCA contract.....It's a brilliant piece of work in my opinion. As subtle as Steven Stills song "For What It's Worth". No it doesn' t rock, but it really kicks A$$ from start to finish. Two other great Kinks albums are "Low Budget" and "Misfits".....Live Life......and A Gallon Of Gas!

I typically drink Tetley's these days - my sister works for Tata so I like to think I am helping a little! You can find it in a few places over here, but PG Tips is very common - can even get it at our local (very small) supermarket!

So, if any of you find yourselves in western Michigan - drop in for a cuppa! Don't laugh - I met a family on the beach a few weeks ago that come here every year for their hols - from Chesterfield!

Only like the milk in first if the tea is made separately in a pot, like my mum used to make it. If it is a teabag in a cup (I know there are many purists who despise teabags, and in principle so do I) then I prefer to leave the milk until afterwards. Otherwise the milk cools everything down before the tea can mash properly. I remember being given a cup in Spain - made with warm water - arrrgghhh - just don't do it !

A pot of Earl Grey made with loose tea, every afternoon around 3-30, during the week.

Never drink it from a mug always a cup,a little milk in first then the tea, a couple of McVities half covered plain chocolate digestive biscuits, and I'm good to go for a few more hours. "Remember, the Empire was built on a good cup of tea".

Who use to say that, was it Tony Hancock?

I grew up on Co op "99" tea, mum used to make it strong, far too strong for me ! I used to pour some away and fill with extra water.

Oh and the horrendous sterilized milk she used to use. Yuk ! Always said when I got married I would only have real milk and always have, never touched that sterro again, even when I used to go and visit mum before she died in the uk, I used to always pick up a carton of "proper" milk.

Mums old neighbour was a rep for a tea company, something like Flowery Peko's Tips or something similar, was an expensive brand, always remember when as a kid I asked her why we didn't have that tea, and all she said was

" I'll stick to me 99 thank you".

He used to bring home the tea chests, like plywood boxes lined with foil and give them away, dad had a stack in our cellar with stuff stored in them.

The worst tea though was when I was working sometimes in one of our colonial cousins houses in sherwood or Hyson green,(I worked for BT at the time) they used to boil the tea pot on the stove and add loads of sweet condensed milk, bloody horrible! we soon learned to decline the offer of a cuppa at certain places.

One particular example, I was running the phone cable down the front of this terrace house in Hyson green and this very friendly chap brought me out a steaming hot brew of the above said mixture (couldn't really call it tea) and when his back was turned I threw it in next doors little garden bed ! The said fellow looked over saw my now empty mug and quickly ran back in the house and brought me another ! which I had to drink as he watched me, smiling and nodding.

• Upvote 1

mudgie49 re Post 36:

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels:-

Eddie: The entire British Empire was built on cups of tea … Soap: Yeah, and look what happened to that. Eddie: … and if you think I'm going to war without one, mate, you're mistaken.

At mine as I drink a fair bit of tea I'll make it in a mug with loose leaves in one of those metal pods that were mentioned earlier on the thread unless I'm feeling lazy then I'll slap a tea bag in.

If I have anyone round or know I'll drink it all before it goes cold then I'll make a pot up with loose leaves unless they are like my partner and hate normal tea and will only drink earl grey.

This weekend's tea destination is an indoor play area, we take it in turns to go play with paige in the big padded play areas (it's an excuse to act like a child again. Who doesn't like big slides & ball pits?) And the other will enjoy a cuppa, although it's me more so playing in the play area, the other half says he feels awkward cos he's male especially after taking our daughter swimming on his own when I had food poisoning on holiday, our daughter saw another girl in a peppa pig cozzie and my partner was with her while she spoke to the other toddler, the mum decided to announce loudly he was some sort of 'paedo' and should be ashamed!! Both came back to the holiday home drenched as he didn't stop to get dry or changed, he was deeply hurt. Spiteful woman! At least he can fill himself of tea while we run around! :)

Ref Banjos post #37 .....

That mention of Flowery Pekoe Tips brought back a long forgotten memory .

I'm sure one of our neighbours on Gardenia used to be a rep for them too . If my memory serves me right it was one of the old sit-up-and-beg type Ford Pop vans . Can't find a pic so have to make do with pic of the tins .

Think we were always a Typhoo loose tea household and I can still recall the sound of my mum mashing the tea using a metal spoon to stir the brew for minutes in one of those little Swan aluminium looking tea pots .

9686411712_efd0eaf00a.jpg

9686411742_b5857c60dc.jpg

When I was a kid we always had Horniman's tea, it came in a gold packet I think, next door had Brook Bond D & Auntie Ivy had Co-op 99. Me; I just get what is on offer, if nowt on offer then I just get Aldi tea. I use UHT semi skimmed milk, I got used to it when I lived in Germany & I prefer it now, all my friends think I'm mad. :) :)

I can't bring my self to trying any shops brands, growing up my step dad would only drink brand name & allways said he could taste the difference if mum tried to sneak in some other types! I think iv inherited the tea snobery! Pg tips, typhoo or tetly's for me!

My mum was a Co-Op "99" devotee! I think she did the vast majority of her grocery shopping at the Co-Op, even after a Tesco first appeared in Long Eaton.

Ever since I was a nipper , I always thought Pekoe Tips was just a brand of tea .

Maybe it was but if you google it , the pekoe tip is a description of leaves from a certain part of the tea plant as is the "flowery orange pekoe"

Who knew ?

Also whilst perusing all this stuff , came upon another brand of tea that you don't hear of but the name does ring a bell ....Edglets Tea , see advert further below .

essay2010_4%255B1%255D.jpg

Advert%20Edglets%20tea%20Brooke%20Bond%2

Seeing that only makes me think of the moon from the mighty boosh!

:biggrin: All this talk of tea from you lot and none of you has even mentioned the importance of warming the pot before the addition of the tea.

This, I believe in, whether I'm making a pot of tea (from loose leaf) or using a teabag in a mug.

PS: I promise you, it makes all the difference..............Happy Tea Drinking :biggrin: Slurp, slurp..........

• Upvote 1