Scon or Scone?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pupcakes

#43 Darkazana MMMMMMMMMM num num num, "Thank you for remembering", i just found your recipe! That's sorted out what i will be doing in the morning.

#43 Darkazana, Thank-you for your recipe, this is my first attempt. Better than my past efforts. As we speak, most of them have already been eaten! Yum Yum Yum

Can't be a north/south thing - I believe many Scots use the "scon" pronunciation!

Yes, English can be VERY confusing! Will have to look up the Bill Bryson book - he now lives in Norfolk and is a chancellor of Durham University! I don't think he writes columns for the newspaper any more - but his books are great - I can highly recommend "A Short History of Nearly Everything" - BRILLIANT!

"If you get a ston bounce of your scon, you wouldn't care how it's said as long as the pain stopped! But a Scot would say the Stone of Scone"

A Scot would and does pronounce it Scoon!

It's Scone , hard 'e', the other is the fastest cake in the world.....................................

Best made with bicarb and cream of tartar and plain flour instead of self raising flour, and its all in the wrist action when cutting them, use cutter to cut straight down and don't twist to keep the well risen shape. Bake in a hot oven.

Darkazana,

Your ingredients for scones looks very interesting, would you be able to give your recipe because we love scones, and i am sad to say my scones are about as hard and unappetising as they could get, my husband says they would make good weapons, :huh: He is right :laugh: They are more like biscuits than scones, we still eat them anyway. I am willing to try any ones recipe if you care to share. :)

My sister in law out here is a Scot to her Blundstone bootstraps! Born and bred outside Glasgow and coming out here when she was 18 years of age.

She makes delicious scones and pronounces them "scowns".

I make them for the grandkids, but they only like them occasionally. They prefer my cup cakes. I get the scone recipe from the Dairy recipe book.

#37 Carni, I will look out the recipe when I get home, I have no recipe books up here in Moffat, and can't be sure of the correct quantities (I've been making them with SR flour while working, they don't rise enough)

• 4 weeks later...

So here we are then, home at last and the recipe books to hand. This is for you Carni as promised, my recipe for scones.

1lb plain flour,

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

1.5 oz butter

1/4 pint buttermilk (or fresh milk with 2 tsp cream of tartar)

4tsp caster sugar

dried fruit (optional)

Set oven to 425 f /Mark 7

Sieve flour and soda into bowl and rub in butter, add sugar and fruit.

Mix quickly to a soft dough with the buttermilk (add gradually so as not to get mixture too wet)

Turn onto floured surface and knead gently, then roll out to 3/4 in thick.

Cut out 2 in rounds. Do not twist cutter.

Place on floured baking tray and bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden brown.

• Upvote 1

Might make some scones this weekend. After seeing this thread pop back up I can't help but crave fresh scons and home made jam... I'll have to miss out on the home made jam part though!

Add some glacier cherries to the mix! They're lovely, I love them made that way.

thumbsup Wonderful, humorous banter on here you lot.

Remember when I was a terrible teenager - didn't we all go through this spell? - and we had a Scottish Miss Reid for our Cookery/ Domestic Science teacher. We used to take it out of her something rotten for her accent, especially when she said: "scon" instead of "scone". We really must have felt our working class origins at her pronunciation: 'scon' sounds posher than 'scone'.

PS: Incidentally, I consider myself a mean scone maker; Tip: try adding a little sour milk to improve the taste.............. :biggrin:

Ooft, warm fresh baked scons with a scrape of nutella!!

Not just Pronunciation but Punctuation...

Eats, Shoots & Leaves

The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation is a non-fiction book written by Lynne Truss, the former host of BBC Radio 4's Cutting a Dash programme. In the book, published in 2003, Truss bemoans the state of punctuation in the United Kingdom and the United States and describes how rules are being relaxed in today's society. Her goal is to remind readers of the importance of punctuation in the English language by mixing humour and instruction.