Scon or Scone?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pupcakes

#43 Darkazana MMMMMMMMMM num num num, "Thank you for remembering", i just found your recipe! That's sorted out what i will be doing in the morning.

#43 Darkazana, Thank-you for your recipe, this is my first attempt. Better than my past efforts. As we speak, most of them have already been eaten! Yum Yum Yum

:biggrin: I consider myself a dab hand at making scones: I either make fruit scones with sultanas or dates - these are delicious - or I make plain scones and serve them with Strawberry Jam and Double Cream....................

thumbsup

No one on the thread a fan of cheese scons then? :( lovely with a spreading of butter!

Minus the herbs.. but some caramelized onions don't go a miss!

• 2 years later...

It's interesting reading how English has and still is evolving, over here, stateside, there are still some remnants of old English still used in everyday speaking, like "I dove into the water" or "He pled guilty"

Presumably you're talking about the US/UK divide? I've been expressly told by a retired US solicitor friend that US English is based on the dictionary that went over with the founding fathers. That is the reason for some of the different spellings and, even, pronunciations. It's the Brits that have changed the language not the Americans. What I don't get about the US language is the way they bastardise latin derived works such as "paedofile". Paed means 'child' in Latin but 'ped' (as they say it) means 'foot'. So, how do they manage with such things in court? I'm surprised some clever wag hasn't used that to get off a charge.

And, it's scone as far as I'm aware.

But Ian, what about 'gone' and 'done'. They have an 'e' at the end as well, so it could be ' scon' or even 'scun'. Or what about the Stone of Scone? I was told it is pronounced 'scoon'. What a strange language we have!

I think there are 7 ways to pronounce the letters 'ough' within a word....

enough (uff) through (oo) though (o) thought (or) bough (ow) trough (off) Peterborough (a, or similar depending where you live!)

I say scone with a long 'o' same as you anyway! All this talking about them is making me hungry - must make some from the old Be-Ro recipe book with the pages that keep falling out...