What year would you go back to and why?

I was an apprentice electrician working for the nottingham coop,

Relied on a clapped out old Lambretta for my transport.

Had left home and split from my close family in the UK

Was pretty skint most of the time...

Had some great mates.

Had a great Girlfriend, and would have many more over the coming years.

Was DJ at the Slipper and Tally Ho Club.

Great nights at Palais, boat clubs etc.

Nottingham was much better.

5 years later I would progress my career, 14 years later would have a dream job.

25 years later would be reunited with my father in Los Angeles, finding family I never knew I had.

34 years later would start a little web site that would grow in size with some great people.

To be continued...

• Upvote 3

1984 was my favourite year, some great music still coming through, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Evelyn King, Hazel Dean, in fact all that 'High energy' stuff, before all the plagiarism took over. Plenty of clubbing, meeting new people courtesy of C.B. radio, just getting out and about more with my first set of wheels.

I might also nip back to a certain July evening in Ibiza in 1996 and tell myself not to talk to that girl in the red 'T' shirt and jeans walking down the street with her sister !!

Ouch , sorry dear, I was only joking dear.!!!!!!!!!!!

1965,the start to a whole new world, music, people, places, and freedom (to a point).

My first outing as a mod,to Skeggy on my new scooter, Whitsun bank holiday.I think most of the 'mod population' of Nottingham made their way to skeggy that week-end.

'The Dungeon',what else can be written about this incredible place,if you went their you know what I mean.

The music, a banquet for the ears,so many great songs and the artists who recorded them,From the Temptations to the Who.

The people, are the ones that made it all possible,I refer to you, the guys and gals of Nottingham, who from 1965 put our great city on the map.Strangers came to the city to soak up the atmosphere in the clubs and coffee bars,or to hang out in the 'old market square'.

There are one or two other years I recall with fondness, but 1965 stands out the most.

• Upvote 2

I think 1963, but only if I know what I know now, no, not really, I'd have missed out on so much if I went back, I had a few disappointments in my life, but all in all I had many great times and made many friends along the route I took, some I still keep in touch with after many many years..

It has to be 1983 for me, I had a great apprenticeship, my childhood sweetheart Helen my first car 1965 Moggy 1000, and money in my pocket what a great year. Closely followed by 1986 my first son born, followed by my first daughter 1993, second son 1997, second daughter 2001, and finally third son 2006. Where did I find time for anything else.

1967.... For the music, the optimism, the rebellion of youth, the Dungeon, the beachcomber, the boat clubs and for Nottingham being a place we were proud to call home.

1965,the start to a whole new world, music, people, places, and freedom (to a point).

My first outing as a mod,to Skeggy on my new scooter, Whitsun bank holiday.I think most of the 'mod population' of Nottingham made their way to skeggy that week-end.

'The Dungeon',what else can be written about this incredible place,if you went their you know what I mean.

The music, a banquet for the ears,so many great songs and the artists who recorded them,From the Temptations to the Who.

The people, are the ones that made it all possible,I refer to you, the guys and gals of Nottingham, who from 1965 put our great city on the map.Strangers came to the city to soak up the atmosphere in the clubs and coffee bars,or to hang out in the 'old market square'.

There are one or two other years I recall with fondness, but 1965 stands out the most.

Definitely same for me, for above reasons, nobody could keep up with the circuits of clubs music, parties that were prevelant in Nottingham at the time

About 1840 to see the railway arrive in Nottingham, on one condition I'm not poor. ;)

Or about 1895 - 1900 to watch the Great Central /Victoria Station being built, again as long as I'm not poor. ;)

• Upvote 1

If I could go back in time and had to stay there, I would not go, because I like my life here, and now.

But if there was a way of escape back to the present, I would be off like a bullet out of a gun, with a digital camera and a bag full of batteries and memory cards, to record all I see.....

The first place to visit would be Langar around 1960, and I would visit all the places us village kids used to go and play, and look at the old village how it was then.

secondly Nottingham around 1970 just to see the old city of my youth, and to walk from Trent bridge to Radford, with shops almost every step you take along the route.

But just imagine going back in time and seeing yourself................Now that would be weird.........

• Upvote 2

1966/67 left school starting to realy get my independance starting work buying my own more trendy clothes out dancing iceskating or something every night going in lots of diferent pub discos we were the lucky ones great night life great music great peoplefell sorry for teenages today jobs hard to come by not so easy to get into pubs and clubs without id as it was then and much more violence now .

1900. Both great-grandmothers were still alive then, I have a lot of questions for both of them, like how come one of them had 5 kids before she got married, and who was the father. The other, why the heck did she move from Shaftesbury to North Wheatley, when folks didn't move around much in those days. She had her first child in the workhouse, aged 20 and single, lots to ask about that! Also my grandma went into service that year, aged 11. What a life that would be, love to ask about that. Then I'd jump to 1950, the last year I still had all 4 grandparents, and I'd ask them all about their lives. I didn't start doing family history till all of them were long gone.

That was the last year i would have had chance to talk to Mam and Dad together :) I know little snippets of their lives before we were born, but i never talked to them in depth about their childhoods, and the war years, and before they met each other. I have quite a bit of knowledge about Mams side coming from Mansfield and Dads being Carlton for generations, I know of mams dancing in the city ballrooms,lots of laughter and the singing she did in the pubs, when they moved from Mansfield,and her experiences and escapades working on the railway in the war and some of Dads royal Navy stories, the countries he visited and all the tattoos he had, each one done in a different country. That is why i chose 1980, boy would i ask some questions. :)

kath i too would love to go back and talk to my grand parents and great grand parents only ever knew my dadsmum realy and she died when i was quite young so many things i would like to ask and get the answers to from them.what happened to my great grandfather to make him go blind and died at just 26 years of age leaving two very young children his wife ended up in the workhouse having had another child, what happened to my grandmother during this time as she dose not appear on any records. my dads side have lots of misteries too but i would love to have seen his grand parents and the lodging houses they owned in narrow marsh maily to see the real social history in progress but also to ask how they came to own so many properties after beging there working lives as leather workers shoe makers ect

If I could change stuff that I didn't enjoy and rectify my regrets that would be great, but if that means the here and now would be changed, then I shall pass on this one. I wouldn't be without my 3 daughters and 3 step daughters and 8 grandchildren, which going back to 1978 would surely mean.

Imagine going back 50 years and seeking out your grandparents or parents, what would you say to them "Hi, I am your grandson", they would think you are a lunatic or something, and call the local nut house, to see if one was missing.

It would be 1970 for me. Went to Oz for the first time and hitched around the place alone as a 16 year old. Joined Sole Bros circus and travelled with them from Bundaberg (Q'land) to Darwin. Left them in Darwin and lived in a cave on the beach. Saw ball lightning. A great old time but very tough. Survived by picking up coca-cola bottles and getting the deposit back for a carton of milk, and stale bread in the bin out the back of the bakery.

• Upvote 1

1967. I was a very fit young teenager. I probably wouldn't change anything because I wouldn't have met my wife and had the great nearly half century together.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1899: I would love to see the beginning of services to and from Victoria Station but I would want a route back, a modern camera and money to spend.