I'd love to know which local lake was now a few European Carp light! (cause they sure as hell couldn't buy 8-10 pounders wholesale for less than 20 quid each)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Update on the new venture) Went down to the river this morning as a try out, tied the rod and landing net pole to the bike like I used to when I was a kid, few bits of tackle and a reel in my back pa

The Witham has a good reputation for chub Rog, so get yourself up there. Brew can advise about fishing rods    Most of my time on the river banks these days is checking for pollution. I lead

To all you fishing buffs out there, this obit was in our paper recently. I pray that I may live to fish Until my dying day And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray When in the Lo

• 10 months later...

I started fishing in 1946 on Trent Bridge steps. The river was VERY dirty in those days. I used to delight in catching a few gudgeon and keeping them in a dried milk tin full of water. I was fascinated with my captives and kept looking at them before returning them to the murky river, then catching a no 43 trolleybus back to Bentink Rd. I had a rod made from a garden cane with rings made from safety pins that were whipped on with cotton. The reel was a small wooden thing not much bigger than a cotton bobbin and it was tied to the rod with string..

I got better at fishing and in my teens fished around Wilford power station, Colwick outflow and Beeston Rylands. All free. Managed to catch a few roach and chub alongside the numerous gudgeon and bleak (we called them witlin).

In the 80's I returned to the Trent with some fancy kit ( I was in the tackle manufacturing business) and fished the Nottm Federation and Raleigh waters. WOW! the quality of fishing was incredible on the much cleaned up water. I remember catching carp, barbel, chub and most other course fish AND trout from just upstream of Clifton Bridge.

Not fished the Trent for over 20 years so must return one day.

Oops! I didn't realise that there was a topic on fishing, so I started one re Fishing on the Trent, which got moved to here. Some interesting stories on this thread though. I fished on the R Wye near Ross on Wednesday and caught a 9lb barbel. I must visit the Trent near Nottingham again just for old times sake. I wonder if it is still possible to fish and park near to the suspension bridge on the Meadows side?

Only had one fishing trip on Lake Michigan this year - but landed an 18lb King Salmon - there is still some in the freezer!

• 1 year later...

Hi Pev

If you fish the Embankment, you`ll have to carry your gear, and have no cover for toilet use.

It`s all free ,yes.

If you want to try it, do it in comfort. On the Google shot below, is Clifton Bridge. You`ll

know it well and how to get there. Off the traffic island under the bridge, is Lenton Lane,

the dotted yellow line gets you under the bridge. I`ve red arrowed a gate which is normally

open in daylight, it`s right alongside the Sat Bains Restaurant. The Eastern section of

the pink line, is Notts Fed. water, daytickets are quite reasonable. The Western section of

pink line is the same club and continues off map to the left, right up to the `Prince Edward

Farm` (now Nottm. Uni. property.)

The turquoise section is a smaller club, `Clifton Bridge Angling` from one peg, (I think)

below the bridge to join the Fed. water lower down.

The benefits, for about £3/£4/£5 whatever, are, parking within a few feet at most, of your peg,

which is invaluable at our age. Take any amount of spare clothing, tackle etc., with no

humping. If you don`t need it, leave it in the car - if you do, it`s there at your elbow.

Plenty of natural cover for toilet use. (Fish the Embankment and you`ll take half your coffee

back home, thinking, "I`d love another drink, but I`d better not."

The pegs and landscape in general are first class at both clubs. In summer, it`s like a bit of

quality parkland there.

If you enjoy walking, humping tons of stuff and have a bladder like a spacehopper, then save a

couple of quid. Most clubs gave up. The fishing deteriorated, the City Council, as the

landowner, thought they could bang the rents up and clubs just walked away.

I`m just annoyed, again, that having composed the piece with sentences, paragraphs etc., which

makes it easier to read, I click 1Post1 and it`s all been banged into one block of continous text.

I`ve tried `Edit`, it all appears as I intended, I click `post` again, a solid block again.

photo Pev. Cl. Brdge_zpsve965i5z.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that very useful info spikesland9 cool2

The peg opposite to your red arrow was amazingly productive in the 80's. At that time is was controlled by Raleigh AC and I was a member. We could park under the bridge then.

I will make a pilgrimage and fish there again soon. The chub and roach were still obliging in Winter.

• 7 years later...

Talking to a farmer friend of mine who's fields run alongside and across the River upper Witham, he told me I can go fishing there anytime I want as no one else fishes it, I have seen some nice chub and dace along there so think I'll give it a go

Rog

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Witham has a good reputation for chub Rog, so get yourself up there. Brew can advise about fishing rods :)

Most of my time on the river banks these days is checking for pollution. I lead a team of volunteers who take samples from 5 local rivers and we record the levels of phosphates, nitrates etc. We are also checking the health of the rivers by taking samples of the invertebrate populations. We are part of an Angling Trust initiative involving over 500 volunteers. 

Thankfully, in recent years, anglers are far more aware of environmental issues. We are seeing ourselves as custodians of the waters that we fish along with the wildlife that relies on clean and healthy water.

I'm currently involved with taking action against farm pollution. Also involved with re wilding 28 acres of river bank that has been wrecked by harmful farming practices. There's a lot more to fishing than catching fish.....  

All of the water that I test eventually flows through Nottingham :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Brew can advise about fishing rods 

I am, for a not so small fee, available for consultations, after dinner speaking, birthdays and Bah Mitzvahs ...  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have a very nice 13ft Mitchell match rod and a 3000 style fixed spool reel loaded with 3lb line,(although I would much prefer a center pin) I intend using a stick float of medium weight with a 2lb hook length to a size 16 hook, I will be using either bread flake or bread punch as well as sweetcorn for hook bait, don't want any of this fancy bait alarms and bivvies and beds, just walk the banks and cast a few baits then move along just like I used to when I was a kid fishing the Fairham brook near Clifton, I have permission to fish the western bank of the upper Witham between Beckingham ranges and Stapleford if anyone wants to look on a map, at the moment it's running about three feet above normal level so might give it a go later this week or beginning of next week

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I have set myself up with some fishing tackle, rod reel, hooks, line floats etc obtained a fishing licence from the EA and got permission from the land owner to fish this stretch of the upper Witham it has been in flood to the extent it is over the flood banks and on the fields and local roads so is unfishable in fact you cant even see the normal route of the river so as yet I haven't been fishing so nothing to report on my progress (much to the relief of a lot of you) never mind theres still a bit of bike riding to do but not along the lanes near the river

Rog

Had venison yesterday :) Trout today. Duck last Sunday. Pheasant this w/e. Love me game. 

None costs me anything, just the occasional pint or a days fishing. Some sort of game turns up from one of my mates most weeks during the season.

Fly fishing yesterday and caught 4. Kept the one I just about to serve.

• Like 2