Definitely take waterproofs. The rain proofs that are carried by golfers are ideal when cycling. Pack away small and light.

I had a lovely day fishing in a boat for trout yesterday. We set up the gas hobs and had bacon and mushrooms wrapped in Staffordshire oat cakes. 6 of us sitting in the sunshine by the lake at lunchtime. Good for the soul :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Update on the new venture) Went down to the river this morning as a try out, tied the rod and landing net pole to the bike like I used to when I was a kid, few bits of tackle and a reel in my back pa

The Witham has a good reputation for chub Rog, so get yourself up there. Brew can advise about fishing rods    Most of my time on the river banks these days is checking for pollution. I lead

To all you fishing buffs out there, this obit was in our paper recently. I pray that I may live to fish Until my dying day And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray When in the Lo

• 1 month later...

The river is still high carrying about three feet of extra water but it is going down, could be back up again after todays rain, don't hold out much hope for a fishing trip to the river any time soon and the season ends this Thursday, ah well theres always next season, roll on June 16th

Rog

Rog - you could try one of the many gravel pits around the Trent Valley. No close season and some great bird life to watch.

I'm hoping for my last session before the season closes on the Trent this week. I had a dabble last week - just 500 yds from home and caught a very large chub. 

Carsington Water opens for trout fishing on Saturday and I was lucky enough to secure a boat booking. I really like Carsington, especially when there is a chance of an overwintered fish or two. They are like wild fish and splendid to eat.

The problem is that most of the gravel pit fishing round here is members only and you can’t just turn up and fish. Nottingham fly fishers at Gibsmere is ‘dead man’s shoes’ to get in. I’ve seen a few people fishing the Trent at Fiskerton recently. The level is back to around normal. Apparently there’s a fisherman who comes down from Durham every week to fish the Trent near the Bromley Arms. 
Just checked. You can purchase day tickets at Fiskerton shop. You can fish for free on the Embankment but would you want to?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

I really like Carsington,

So do I. My great uncle Thomas William Sparrow was born in a cottage facing Carsington Water. His mother's family were farmers there and the farm still exists.  Great uncle didn't survive The Great War, sadly, but he had a very picturesque start in life.

Not much interested in fishing gravel pits I just want to fish the upper Witham near to home because it reminds me of the Fairham brook I used to fish as a kid not very deep and only about fifteen feet wide, there are ex gravel pits near me and I was part of the management team there when they was working gravel pits but at forty quid a day ticket I don't think I'll bother

Rog

12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You can purchase day tickets at Fiskerton shop. You can fish for free on the Embankment but would you want to?

Back in the day I used to love fishing at Fiskerton, you bought your day ticket at the Bromley Arms. My favourite spot was the "beach" at the end of the wall in the direction of Hazelford. You had to watch out for the John Harker barges ast they would was your gear away. It was quite an expedition to get there as the MDT bus service through Fiskerton, the 209, was only every two hours. The luggage space under the stairs was often rammed with fishing boxes and baskets, rods were usually with you in your seat due to risk of damage. The bus ride was quite pleasant, through, Farnsfield, Edingley, Halam, Southwell and on to Fiskerton. On days when you could not get a peg on the beach we often walked round to the bottom of Hazelford weir.

• Like 1

I remember the bailiff, he used to come round about 11:00am and then just after 3:00pm closing at the pub. He remembered if you were there on his first visit and soon spotted anyone new. I think that stretch of water "belonged" to a fishing club from Nottingham

Didn't know who the landlord/landlady was. Just knew that a pint of Kimberley mild was very welcome at lunchtime on a hot day. I seem to remember that you went in a door at the side (car park) and were served through a hatch so you did not have to go inside in you fishing gear. My mum liked a glass of Blackamoor Sweet Stout and lemonade whenever we were out for a Sunday drive and stopped at a Kimberley pub.

6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I think that stretch of water "belonged" to a fishing club from Nottingham

Probably "Notts Piscatorials" Oz, they own a lot of waters in that area, long waiting list to join their club though

Rog

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Notts Piscatorial

My dad was a member and yes it was years before he got in

• Like 1

We’ve just driven past the riverside at Fiskerton and the two hardy souls who were fishing from under their umbrellas at 11 this morning are still there. Both with two rods apiece. The river’s in full flow and rising once again.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, plantfit said:

Probably "Notts Piscatorials" Oz, they own a lot of waters in that area, long waiting list to join their club though

That's the one, thanks plantfit.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2024 at 2:44 AM, philmayfield said:

The river’s in full flow and rising once again.

For some unknown reason whenever I went fishing at Fiskerton and the river levels were high I never seemed to have much luck.

I was taken as a guest last year to a stretch of the Trent owned by Nottm Piscatorials. Splendid fishing. Several barbel and chub. As a youngster I used to catch a bus to Farndon - a grey bus, was it Gash? The fishing was free on the Trent and in the gravel pits (there were 2 then, now a marina). My best days fishing there was on the Trent when it was in flood.

Yesterday I fly fished for trout on one of my club lakes. Lovely day out in the boat catching rainbows to 8lb. How my fishing life has changed, since catching 'guginn' from Trent Bridge steps :)

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:15 PM, PeverilPeril said:

My best days fishing there was on the Trent when it was in flood.

Just read an article in "The Grid Iron" saying that many Notts farmers have been refused compensation for flooding as their farms are "Too far from a major river". Nottinghamshire is one of the worst affected counties. The DEFRA guidelines say that farms more than 150 metres from a major river are not eligible for a grant of between 500 and 25,000 pounds to return their land to the condition it was in before the major storm event, Storm Henk, in January. The farming minister Mark Spencer is from a farming background in Nottighamshire. He should be sinking a size twelve toe-capped wellie into the ar$e of the civil servant jobsworth that thought that limit made any sense at all.

• Like 2