B Movies & etc.

Can you remember when the cinema offered a full program, not just the Main Movies.

Pathe News, Pearl & Dean Ads, Other small itms and of course, The 'B Movie'

Many of these were as good as if not better than the 'A Movie'

What great B Movies can you remember?

I remember going to the Esoldo or similar? at Lenton Abbey, where I saw such a Double Bill.

I have never been sure which was the A Movie to this day.

Westworld With Yul Bryner

6048-1-westworld__warne.jpg

Cinema Montreal

Sylent Green Starring Charlton Heston

Soylent%20Green.jpg

www.rochesterfantasyfans.org

Often relate a notorious B movie title, which sometimes turns up on late night TV, to almost every female member of my family!

......'Enormous Changes at the Last Minute'.....

Cheers

Robt P.

What was so brilliant was the fact that for 1/6d you could go in at say 2 o'clock and stay there till chucking out time at 10 ish and see the full programme of adverts, Pathe News, Cartoons, B film and A film - all 3 time over. I suppose TV killed all of that. - compare the price (and value for money).

Lot of the old pensioners used to do that to keep warm and sleep through most of the films.

Got a feeling that cinemas were a lot darker in thoses days as well hence the usherette - spoil sports, shining there torch a long the back row to see what you and girlfriend were up to!

Used to go to Adelphi, Palace and Highbury in Bulwell and always with 4 penneth of chips on the way home.

I can remember as a young lad, me and my mate would go and stand outside of a picture house that was showing a scary 'A' rated film and ask an adult if they could take us in, once in of course you would go your seperate ways, much too dangerous now to even contemplate the idea but of course, we lived in a much safer and happier world then.

• 2 years later...

I was wondering (on here ) the other day , when did the last double bill occur. I remember them still happening up to the late 70s , Star wars , Close Encouters of the Third Kind, Jaws, Rollerball etc were all double bills.

One 'B' Movie that I recall was called "7" and was a mobster versus under dog type film ,set in the L.A. suberbs and desert areas. It was (As I recall ) a great movie. It was that good I can't remember what it was on with !!!

as a kid in 1950's it was always the futurist for me, twice a week with my mum, they showed one film (plus news, trailers. B movie etc) Mon to Wed and another Thurs to Sat, Sunday was for "risque" continental films so never went then! Can remember seeing The Good Die Young, A Night To Remember, Smallest Picture Show On Earth, Day The World Stood Still, Too Many Crooks, Shane among others

Re passing the time in such, my uncle aged 19 used to do such when in London on Bomb Disposal during the blitz, one day he'd been in cinema all afternoon etc and manager came on to say there was a raid on as he seen all the show he decided to leave, had not got far when place took a direct hit and everyone killed, the blast actually knocked him out. think about 80 plus killed, did research such but can't recall name of cinema, location etc

Ashley. A Night To Remember was one of my favourite films. I have only recently watched Titanic, as I couldn't believe it could outshine the original one with Kenneth More. I loved him, another of his was The Admirable Crighton about being shipwrecked and he was the butler. I saw Call Me Madam at the Futurist.

There was actually a Titanic movie made a few years before A Night To Remember called Titanic made 1953, and even some older than that! The guy Kenneth More played Herbert Lightoller had actually been shipwrecked prior to the titanic and in 1914 and 1915 was again on 2 more ships that sank when he was in the navy, surviving those he actually took his own boat to Dunkirk and rescued troops in the evacuation, He died aged 78 in 1952 having outlived 2 sons who were killed in ww2. Kenneth More also (in my opinion) was in the best 39 Steps, but went out of favour when he left his wife for Angela Douglas who played his daughter in the film "Some People" (I think)

• 1 year later...

re B movies I remember, only one, The Red Balloon shown with The Dambusters at The Odeon, colour film but "silent" as I recall about a little boy who lost a ballon in Paris and chased it all through the streets, sort of one of those new wave arty things, funny thing to show with Dambusters?

Actually, I did watch it to the end. I remember seeing it, I would have been 4!

This is a 1956 fantasy short film, directed by Albert Lamorisse.

It is a dialogue free film which nonetheless won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

We were shown it at senior school (Cirrca 1974) along with another "silent" French film about a man being hung !!! as they threw him off a bridge the noose snapped and he landed in the river below, and so began many torid adventures as he evades recapture only for a strange twist at the end !!!

• 6 years later...

B movies --- **The Blob** - steve Mcqueen, **I was a teenage -- werewolf** Michael Langdon, ** The Nack ?** dont know what it was about and i now have a dvd of it and I still cant figure it out. **It came from Outer space**

reading a book at the moment called Londons Burning, its about the Auxiliary Fire Service, during the Blitz, and it got me remembering a great old film with Tommy Trinder in Called The Bells Go Down, would love to see that movie again, also trying to remember the actor who was Tommys Fire Chief in the film. As they say They definitely do not make em like that anymore, ps, Saturday matinee, Gene Autrey, smashing

You forgot Hartley Wintney the great actor-manager, with his faithful retainer Old Sodbury (whose son - Chipping Sodbury - was the village carpenter).

Oddly enough me and Mrs Col lived and worked for a short while in a pub called the Whyte Lyon in a village called Hartley Wintney in Hants. It must have been named after the great actor manager you mention. Come to think of it, didn't he marry Virginia Water, the great actress? We also worked a few miles up the road in a pub called the Wheatsheaf in a village named after her... :)

I always remember a B film which I think was called A Marriage of Convenience. Cant find any info as there are a few films of that title. A couple pretended to be newlyweds to avoid interruption in a compartment in a train carriage which was next to the part of a carriage which also carried lots of cash. There was a scene where they just took the seats out and got to the cash before putting everything back in order. That, it turned out was how they imagined it. The reality was a bit less straightforward. Naturally, everything went wrong and the crooks got their come-uppance.

Col

Beefsteak - #15.

Better late than never! That film was Incident at Owl Creek. It had a great influence on me too.

I always looked out for Sam Kydd. And the Love Train, where Arthur Askey, as a railway engine driver, stopped his train on a viaduct to watch a football match at Burnden Park.