Marriages after 1911 Census

Is there a way of finding out if someone married after the 1911 census other than keep guessing and paying for marriage certificates?

Got the death certificate today for the elusive Mary Harvey (my G Grandmother) and it is the wrong one. The number of single Mary Harveys is running out and I just had the thought that she may have married after the 1911 census. She might even have married the father of the 8 kids she gave her own name to. :ohmy: I have no idea what her married name might be if she did marry

£9.25 per certificate to find it is wrong is no joke - it would be nice if you could see the actual certificate before you buy. Would a trip to the Records Office be a good idea?

We thought that cert would be the wrong one, didn't we?

The trouble is that she had a very common name. The GRO index, whether on FreeBMD or elsewhere won't allow you to establish whether you have the right person, without buying the cert as no identifying information such as age or fathers name is given. If you know her date of birth and she may have died 1969 onwards (can't remember when she was born, to know whether this is possible or not), you could search the death indexes on Ancestry for a Mary whose date of birth matches - you don't have to specify a surname. If anything is found in the right area with a different surname you could then search marriages for any possibility.

To check for a marriage at the Archives you would need to know which church she married in, so it's difficult.

I just had a quick look on freebmd and as Ann says there are just too many Mary Harvey marriages in Notts after 1911 .

I can't remember all the details in the previous thread but it was very complicated and there is a Harvey / Harvey marriage in Worksop in 1915 . A John J Harvey marrying a Mary Harvey .

We thought that cert would be the wrong one, didn't we?

The trouble is that she had a very common name. The GRO index, whether on FreeBMD or elsewhere won't allow you to establish whether you have the right person, without buying the cert as no identifying information such as age or fathers name is given. If you know her date of birth and she may have died 1969 onwards (can't remember when she was born, to know whether this is possible or not), you could search the death indexes on Ancestry for a Mary whose date of birth matches - you don't have to specify a surname. If anything is found in the right area with a different surname you could then search marriages for any possibility.

To check for a marriage at the Archives you would need to know which church she married in, so it's difficult.

The cert that we thought was wrong (and I found out before I was likely to receive it, definitely wrong) the GRO couldn't find so they refunded my money. :laugh:

The Mary Harvey I was looking for was born 1864 and I found one that died in Nottingham aged 80 that tallied so that is the one I sent for. She turns out to be a widow of Alan Harvey of Bulwell. :glare: Slim chance she died after 1969.

I just had a quick look on freebmd and as Ann says there are just too many Mary Harvey marriages in Notts after 1911 .

I can't remember all the details in the previous thread but it was very complicated and there is a Harvey / Harvey marriage in Worksop in 1915 . A John J Harvey marrying a Mary Harvey .

Hmmm. I have also seen another reference to a Mary Harvey in Worksop

There are not so many. The one I am looking for was just plain Mary Harvey. She didn't have a second christian name.

That was lucky, that they couldn't find the cert! Yes, unlikely that she was still alive in 1969!

Remember also, when looking for a death, that the age may well be a few years out. The person who gave her age might not have known exactly how old she was.