Emett Water Clock Relocation?

on radio nottingham and nottingham evening post today theres talk by the owners of the victoria centre of moving the clock from the centre as part of their re vamp

why cant they leave nostalgia stuff alone - what do others think of the proposed plan

Leave it where it is !

After all it is a shame that Victoria Station disappeared when it did.

Emett's Clock sort of symbolized the new world so we have it where it is..........

Leave it I say!

• Upvote 1

I find it disgraceful to read of the impending removal of the Emett Clock. I've mentioned before on Nottstalgia how beautiful the clock is and how much enjoyment people get from looking at it. The last time I visited the Victoria Centre I went to see the Emett Clock and there were many people, some with excited children, who were looking at the clock. They would have to dismantle it and it's bound to get damaged. Time for a petition, folks.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for informing us that it was just a rumour, Fynger. Enigma 1st wasn't to know this. After reading the article (#4), I was annoyed to find no mention of Pete 'The Engineer' Dexter, who spent months renovating the Emett Clock. I'm sure that the Nottstalgians haven't forgotten.

• Upvote 2

It seems every time I go to Nottingham another piece of my past has gone, I know it is only a rumour but it would be a shame to see the Emett Water Clock removed, It was made for the centre and should stay there.

But if they remove it, may I nominate the Midland station as a good place to put it, because it would be the only thing running on time in the station.

• Upvote 1

statement from pete " the engineer" ----- “It surely can't go anywhere near slab square as the bells of Little John and his pals would drown it out. Broadmarsh is also owned by Intu so they might be looking there. That said, Broadmarsh appears not to be cared for - many empty shops - poor relation to Viccy. It can't go outdoors without being sheltered from the weather. Maybe it could go in the new north end of Viccy if and when that gets built? When I repaired it I thought it would be good for another 40 years - hope I was right - I did it for my granddaughter and her generation to enjoy it as we did.”

• Upvote 3

I don't care for it personally. I went off it years ago when I went through there early one morning and saw that it was working quite happily without water. It's an electric clock with a little water pump that operates like a fountain in a fish pond. It's just too garish and tacky for my likes. However, I realise that a lot of folks do like it (kids I can understand), so here's a simple way to save it. The owners can sell it to Nottingham Council for £1 million. The Council can then pay for its maintenance and then pay commercial rates for the square meterage of the Vic Centre that it takes up (prime location) about £250k per year. Then everyone is happy - except the Council Tax payer who has to pay more to foot the bill. Who wants to pay more Council Tax? Any takers?

• Upvote 1

I've always loved it! I was there on the day it opened, and was on the telly when the opening ceremony was shown on the BBC.

I always try to hear it 'chime' if I'm in Nottingham, it makes my day. The kids love it too!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope they leave it well alone! I grew up throwing a 2p in and making a wish usually at christmas time, it's a great meeting spot for people, its lovely to sit by with a sarnie for lunch (which I used to do most days when working on the market)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I am liaising with with Tim Griffiths, founder of the Rowland Emett Society, who will be leading on the restoration. I'm confident that it will be a good outcome, I've added a comment to the other thread about the clock (Emett water clock - Help?). I'll continue to add information there, rather that diverge into two threads.

engineer

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

DavidA . Even though i don' t live in uk anymore, mates in Nottm tell me vic centre owners secretly don't want water clock back as it acts ad a congregation and " keeping warm" area . They only want spenders in there.

I've always liked it and would definitely like to see it back in it's original place. In contrast, my missus absolutely hates it! For a couple of years after the Vic Centre opened she worked in John Lewis, her department just inside the doors on the first floor, about thirty metres from the clock. She's says the constant chiming from it every single day drove them all bonkers.

• Upvote 1