Old school books

When it came to decorating school books (and school bags) the main feature I remember were either football teams and their individual players, or the names of groups and singers.

In my Fairham days, the main names on books and bags were the likes of Dylan, Cream and Hendrix. To be different (and because I liked them) I went for Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and the Moody Blues.

You could've been accused of being a bit of a colourful character then. Whatever happened to Black Sabbath, King Crimson, et al (Or where you too early for them ?)

:biggrin: Has there been any mention yet of the old style Jotters that we as kids were given at the beginning of each Autumn term?:

Real thick they were - lots of lined paper (although cheap) - colour blue; and at the back of the Jotter was a page of weights, cubic volumes, lengths, tables and other bits of interesting info. to make life easier being a kid in the new classroom.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

When doing a thread search for another topic I found this one. An old thread but a good one. My dad saved his English book and his maths book from Lenton Boulevard School. This would have been about 1923. He wrote a lovely story in his English book and when our son was little I read it to him as a bedtime story as he never knew his grandfather. Our son loved it. I still have a few of my school books from BGS. I cannot part with my degree notes as they represented a lot of hard work and three very happy and interesting years.

• Upvote 6

Ssshh! Don't tell. Mind you they've got to find me first and that would be no mean feat. Lived in more countries and cities than most have had hot dinners.

Alison

I've still got all of my school reports from Henry Whipple Primary and High Pavement. Got rid of my exercise books, but I still have many books on Politics etc., from Uni along with all of my essays.

Couple of old school textbooks around I think.

Col

I never had school books to take home when at Berridge 48/53. Everything was left at school. No homework and no O levels to study for. At 14 it dawned on me that I was capable of more than the Sec/Mod education was providing for me. I must have had a bit of initiative because I went to Peoples College that Autumn and signed on to study at night school. I had to say that I was 15 y/o to be accepted. This backfired a bit when I was taken on by the ROF that Christmas at 15, as a prospective apprentice. Us wannabee apprentices were sent off to Peoples College to register for the courses that I had already attending and signed up for! I had some explaining to do with the same registration master, a Mr Walker, (who I was to have a serious issue with 3 years later). The Peoples College books were on loan and had to be returned, albeit a bit battered. Books were carried in what we cyclists called a 'bonk bag' (a small kit bag).

So, no school books but I was given a Workshop Practice book and a note book at the start of my apprentceship. I still have them. I still have several engineering books from my apprentce days and they came in useful for reference as my career developed.

55 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Was that a Janet and John reader?  I remember them from infants school but haven't seen one in many years.

Ashwell Street Infants LL?  The Janet and John books were my introduction to reading too.   

But I was reading before I went to school, apparently :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yes, it was Ashwell infants, Lizzie.  Miss Brown, headmistress.  Mrs. Cook, Mrs. Foster, Miss Grey.  Teachers at that time.  We even had a Miss Rawson.  I think she was a student teacher.  Redhead, all the 6 yr old lads had a crush on her.  We started young back in the fifties.  I bet we could have taught Ben a thing or two.  :biggrin:

Musta been where I got my thing for Janets.  I've been married to two of 'em now.

• 2 weeks later...