5p Charge for carrier bags !

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

I dump about 10 a week. Usually full of rubbish. There will be no change. I will still dump plastic bags full of rubbish in the bin. The only difference is that I will now have to pay for them. I wonder how many folk will dump rubbish straight into the bin to save buying bags. That will be an invite to flies.

The shops will probably have to go back to using brown paper bags like we did in Oz in the 70s, or boxes that the shop had spare when packing the shelves, or even shopping trolleys that old people still wheel around the streets. Plastic bags will one day be a thing of the past.

I work in catering and plastic bags are central to waste disposal of which there is plenty. I remember the old brown paper bags. Tough if it rained on the way home. I remember me and my mum coming from Bracebridge shops with a paper carrier bag each and an ordinary shopping bag full of veg between us. When the melon fell off the veg bag we even contemplared dribbling it home. Common sense prevailed and we didn't.

Just to set the record straight, it's not the shops that are bringing in these 'taxes' it's the government, to whit , the Lib-Dem part of the coalition, and not till after the next election, like the'ye still going to have a say in the running of the country then!!

Any profits would then be going to charity.

20,000,000 x 5p = a million quid a day , 365 million a year, there's going to be some very well off charities out there within a year !

The day when you had you Mums shopping bag is long gone thanks to the advent of supermarkets where the shop is done in one go as opposed to a daily trip to the local Co op or whatever.

My point is that they should make them biodegradable and publicize this. Any body who wants 'Bags for life' to use for other things (Storage etc) should buy them.

And yes 5p on top of a £25 shop is a negligible amount, but try and get a £25 shop into one carrier, it soon becomes 25p. I do a hundred quid a week , I'll leave you to do the maths to see how much unnecessary extra annual expenditure that is.

PS , I would like to have some say as to where my charity donation is going too. I don't want it going to some foreign fuzzy wuzzies when folks are starving over here.

• Upvote 3

I heard some Lib Dem MP say all the money raised from the sale of these bags will be going to "environmental charities" more support for the bloody tree huggers, as Ian says the buyer of the bag should have a say in where the money goes

Rog

• Upvote 1

OOOOHHHHHH!!!!!! Foreign Fuzzy Wuzzys!?!? My God. The whole opposition will have a dose of the abdabs. Gobs open. Eyes crossed. How politickle tickly incorrect. You naughty boy! Remember what happened 'when call me Dave' said "Calm down my dear" ?

Sorry. I'm really sarky in my old age. But you need to have a laugh.

This reminded me of a "brown paper bag" episode about twenty odd years ago.

A mini bus of us Forest fans were returning from a Sunday game at Old Trafford against Man U. We were passing through some North Derbyshire village, Glossop or something like that . We stopped at an off licence to replenish our beer supply.

On reaching the till, the Asian gentleman wouldn't serve us as it was outside the local licensing hours.

"Please yourself pal, we're taking em". says one of our entourage .

Quick as a flash the owner replied "I put in brown paper bag for you".

He wasn't going to risk losing several 4 packs.

Bit naughty but never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

I think we beat Man U , can't remember exactly.

Wouldn't it be beneficial to bring back paper grocery bags? They rot away quick, could be recycled into making more paper bags, cheaper surely? I have a huge bag for life full of carriers and more bags for life but every time I go shopping I forget them! 5p will get the message accross but to be honest, it's just another excuse for the government to get abit more money in their pockets because they know for a fact most people forget their bags or just use the ones supervised by the supermarkets. Don't make or give any more out, only offer the bags for life for 5p, I'd be happy to spend 5p on a proper bag, but not one of those thin things!

• Upvote 1

How can you say that?, without prior knowledge!

The only VAT the government will receive (as far as i can see will be what is levied on the production/sales of carriers, this will of course go down with the 5p charge introduction!

:biggrin: I certainly won't be paying 5p for a Supermarket plastic bag but will certainly miss them for putting my everyday rubbish in!

I know I have some old, shopping bags somewhere....................................just couldn't part with them............................. thumbsup

I can see a problem here.

When you order on line from a supermarket (we use Sainsbury's) there always seems to be lots(too many) plastic bags.

We have as many as TEN for an order which if we bought direct from the shop would have taken FIVE.

What's going to happen in clothes shops like M&S, H&M, Next, House of Fraser etc. are we expected to pay there or carry our clothes loosely

I went in M&S the other day for underwear and received two large green bags. I then went downstairs for food and was expected to pay 5p . I refused and put all the underwear in one bag and the food in the other.

The cashier was gloating saying laughingly we will have to pay in a couple of years. Not if I can help it.

Just think, when people refuse to pay for a bag, it will be an end to their advertising. I tend to take a hessian bag with me because the plastic bags aren't always strong enough for the heavier items.

My grand-daughter refuses to carry a pound shop carrier bag. She says, "I don't want people to think I go in there". Little snob. Bless her.

• Upvote 1

You can fill your Morrisons Bags at Tesco, and advertise someone else.

The best quality Carrier bags are from Farmfoods... and FREE.

Get them now and enjoy free baggage @ the other big chains.

I don't understand why people think the government has money. It's just plain silly. They have to attempt to balance the books via taxation but it isn't their money. They don't take it with them when they leave office.

Hmmmm...the number that finish up in the House of Lords or on some well paid Quango,I'm not so sure about that.

• Upvote 1

They might not take it with them when they leave office, but they sure make it pay when they are in office. Why can they claim so much for food when they have to buy it anyway like the rest of us.