5p Charge for carrier bags !

When we used to shop at Asda and Safeway about twenty-odd years ago, I remember there always used to be an area where they shoved all the empty cardboard boxes after unpacking products. Customers would just pick up a few of those on the way round and load the shopping into them at the check-out. I suppose everything's shrink-wrapped these days.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

They don't give them away these days because they get paid for scrap cardboard. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if H & S wasn't an issue these days such as a trip or fire hazard.

Dog owners use carrier bags for picking up dog poo.

Buying less bags will lead to owners not picking it up.

Less carrier bags = more dog poo on the streets (and soles of your shoes)

# 53, true, we used Sainsburys bags for dog poo years ago, but they do have little holes in them! I buy the very cheap nappy bags from the supermarket now, you can get 100 for about 25p.

In Marks and Spencers this morning upstairs; I bought a gift, a Mans Polo Shirt. I was asked if I wanted it in a bag 5p. I had to buy one or carry the garment as it was. Back down stairs I purchased boxes of biscuits. I was asked the same question, but declined and put them in the same bag as the garment

Up until then, I only thought about food shopping in the Supermarkets not clothes shops. First Lesson learnt.

Into the card shop and purchased three rolls wrapping paper. Same question. I declined and tried to carry the rolls in my arms. you can imagine what happened, they were all tipping in different directions. Card Shops as well. Second Lesson Learnt

We needed some items from Tesco and knowing what question we would be asked at the tills, instead of the usual freebies, Chris decided to pop the already bought items to the car, which was just a few yards from the center where we were shopping, and get the strong bags from the boot. Just goes to show, once we realised that it will affect so many large shops, we soon got the bags from the boot. I estimate that we would have been given approximately six carriers this morning. Third Lesson Learnt.

It's going to take some getting used to, because we have not had to think about it for so many years. I have always said we should pay for the bags, for a few different reasons, but I admit that being caught out today, by not carrying a bag with me, I did feel a bit angry at the inconvenience.

Fourth Lesson. Don't forget to keep a couple of folded carrier bags in my handbag from now on!!!!

• Upvote 1

Lizzie (#55), a supermarket assistant once persuaded me to get the nappy bags because they were cheaper. It was when I had to start doing the shopping. I found they weren't as big or strong as the normal doggy bags and, after a couple of mishaps, soon went back to the norm. :)

5p for a bag is cheap, I know a lot of bags who are expensive..........

Bags are also carriers...

• Upvote 1

Nowt worse than sweaty 'Taters' cranky,..........

except sweaty arm pits...

I always have my 35l rucksack day bag when I'mout. It houses my camera among other things. If I buy something whilst out I already have a bag on my back. My answer to the stock question "Do you want a bag with that?" is "I already have one on my back, thank you."

• Upvote 1

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no provisos as such, all shops have to do it so there's no way for either the shopper or the retailer to extract the urine. Everybody does it and it causes no problems whatever.

I have a 'bag of bags' in the boot of my car and I always have a folded 5p carrier in my back pocket just in case if I go out walking, it ain't brain surgery and it ain't difficult. It's a good scheme and it works.

• Upvote 6

Yes it does DaveN because I have a bin for dry matter which can be left until it fills up, but I've always used carrier bags for waste food etc. which needs to be taken out within 24 - 48 hours. Now I shall have to start buying bags for that purpose.

One thing I've noticed in some supermarkets at self checkouts is that your own bag has to be 'verified' to make sure it really is your bag and you aren't trying to pinch one of theirs without paying 5p!

I've also found that the bag tax doesn't just apply to food in supermarkets but to clothes and shoes etc. So if you've spent 40 or 50 quid on an item of clothing, you still have to buy a bag to put it in - which is a bit of a liberty!

Bring back the old fashioned shopping bag, made of leather, vinyl, canvas or whatever, which no ladies (and a few men) ever went out without in the 1950s and 60s!

Failing that, re-invent the brown paper carrier bag with string handles. The bag tax wouldn't apply to those, would it?

• Upvote 3